Doyle

A Man City youngster loaned out at 17 when he arrived, for first team adult football. He's clearly rated by people who know a lot more than those on here.

Will have a great career

At 17/18 is there no chance he will get better? Physically stronger and gain experience in defending that will make him more savvy? Most players his age won't see regular first team football for another 2-3 years. If he plays consistently in that time and is managed well he has a great future ahead
I’ve made this point on here a couple of times. No chance Man City loan him out at 17 unless they think he is very good imo. He should really just be finishing his scholarship, but first year he is playing in the under 23s and winning the league, second season on loan to the biggest club in league 1 on loan and the pressures that come with that, gains promotion ( granted he did have a dip in form) international level plays through the age groups including winning the euro under 19s.

We're all basking in the positivity, but over the course of the season, I personally think he was comfortably the worst player in the first team squad to play 10+ games. Not even close. Towards the end, I could barely watch when he was on the pitch in big games, it scared me so much.

Now, I'm not an expert on player development so the lad could go on and have a great career. He's certainly got a high technical level in some areas of his game, like passing. But there is no f***ing way I would take him here next year. Maybe, at a push, in League One again, but not in the Champo. We should move on.

Some on here are not fair given the pressure of playing in front 30000+ crowds at the age of 17 . A schoolboy... still doing exams. I believe Calum has a great future in the game and now has experience well above his years. He should have been rested sooner. Lee Johnson should have spotted that sooner.. He did have some poor games " but thats part of his development and hes still growing.... . Good luck to him bonus that his time here ended with promotion on his CV.

Last edited:
He was 17 years old when he arrived here, having just done is GCSE's the summer before. He was then asked to play twice a week against a lot of cloggers and shithouses on increasingly appalling surfaces with increasingly appalling officials, under a Manager for whom defending was secondary and therefore a massive lack of confidence spread throughout the squad with far more experienced players than him being affected profoundly. The Manager also seemingly insisted in playing out from the back, regardless of conditions and oppostion which was leaving him hung out to dry.

In one of Neil's first interviews he mentioned young players being flogged and it really affecting them which was obviously referring to Doyle and Neil, in particular. He looked really good until Johnson neglected looking after him.
Perfect Summary

absolutely superb post

Spot on. Football is all about opinion, for me those who cannot see the lad at 18 year old is a tremendous prospect and berate him for being slow, can I respectfully say I recall the same being said about a young John Egan and we let him leave which was a huge mistake. The lad is a huge talent and I for one would love him back on loan.

Back