Doyle

He was 17 years old when he arrived here, having just done is GCSE's the summer before. He was then asked to play twice a week against a lot of cloggers and shithouses on increasingly appalling surfaces with increasingly appalling officials, under a Manager for whom defending was secondary and therefore a massive lack of confidence spread throughout the squad with far more experienced players than him being affected profoundly. The Manager also seemingly insisted in playing out from the back, regardless of conditions and oppostion which was leaving him hung out to dry.

In one of Neil's first interviews he mentioned young players being flogged and it really affecting them which was obviously referring to Doyle and Neil, in particular. He looked really good until Johnson neglected looking after him.

Last edited:
He was 17 years old when he arrived here, having just done is GCSE's the summer before. He was then asked to play twice a week against a lot of cloggers and shithouses on increasingly appalling surfaces with increasingly appalling officials, under a Manager for whom defending was secondary and therefore a massive lack of confidence spread throughout the squad with far more experienced players than him being affected profoundly. The Manager also seemingly insisted in playing out form the back, regardless of conditions and oppostion which was leaving him hung out to dry.

In one of Neil's first interviews he mentioned young players being flogged and it really affecting them which was obviously referring to Doyle and Neil, in particular. He looked really good until Johnson neglected looking after him.
Nailed it here

He was 17 years old when he arrived here, having just done is GCSE's the summer before. He was then asked to play twice a week against a lot of cloggers and shithouses on increasingly appalling surfaces with increasingly appalling officials, under a Manager for whom defending was secondary and therefore a massive lack of confidence spread throughout the squad with far more experienced players than him being affected profoundly. The Manager also seemingly insisted in playing out from the back, regardless of conditions and oppostion which was leaving him hung out to dry.

He's going to be a top flight player.

I fully expect him to get sold in the next year or two. I’d be happy to see him at safc.

Him and delap both will be I reckon. Similar deals to what we struck for cirkin id imagine, like the Egan-Riley one to Burnley. We will be in the mix I’d think for Doyle and I’d hope for delap if he is in the same situation.

Another year on loan here for Doyle would be fine with me like.

he'll go on to play regularly in the prem yet this place has him down as a shite league one player. I'd like to say you couldn't make it up but well...

he'll go on to play regularly in the prem yet this place has him down as a shite league one player. I'd like to say you couldn't make it up but well...
As a centre half? I would put money on that he won’t. He’s a good footballer like he just struggles to defend.

I remember a young lad called Tony Adams who was labelled a Donkey at around his age who then turned into one of the best of the PL era. He has loads of time on his side
Well we will find out, won’t we? It’s just my opinion mate. He’s a very good footballer I just don’t think he can defend.

Well we will find out, won’t we? It’s just my opinion mate. He’s a very good footballer I just don’t think he can defend.
We will mate. I absolutely see what you're saying but I was saying the same about Wright last season, under Johnson. I'm now delighted he's signed a new contract.
I just don't think Lee Johnson is the Manager you want for a young defender to show his potential, certainly not as the season goes on.

As a centre half? I would put money on that he won’t. He’s a good footballer like he just struggles to defend.
Very few centre halves are really very good until their 20’s. Denis Smith said centre halves peak at about 28-30. Doyle was shocking for a while but was actually very good in the first third of the season for a child in a gnarly man’s clogger league. I think his lack of pace will prevent him from being absolutely top class but he’ll be good.

Back