Doner Haus “closes due technical problems”

Well only the owner would know that I suppose, but I’m not sure what technical issues would leave a business closed for a week, and the packing boxes theoretically could be new stuff being unloaded rather than taken away; but sadly looks to be the case.
Shame too as the owner and their lass are really nice, and hard grafters too, but unfortunately one of, if not the, poorest city in the country was probably not the best of locations to try something a bit different

Augustiner is the Daddy of Bavarian Helles mind, and if we are being traditional weisswurst should be eaten before 1100, which isn’t a bad thing with a pretzel and Weissbier for breakfast
:cool:

Well only the owner would know that I suppose, but I’m not sure what technical issues would leave a business closed for a week, and the packing boxes theoretically could be new stuff being unloaded rather than taken away; but sadly looks to be the case.
Shame too as the owner and their lass are really nice, and hard grafters too, but unfortunately one of, if not the, poorest city in the country was probably not the best of locations to try something a bit different

Augustiner is the Daddy of Bavarian Helles mind, and if we are being traditional weisswurst should be eaten before 1100, which isn’t a bad thing with a pretzel and Weissbier for breakfast

We are nowhere near the poorest city in the county,what a ridiculous statement. Folk of Sunderland are great at putting ourselves down . No the wonder other people do

Last edited:

Augustiner Keller on Arnulfstraße in Munich is canny. Wish you could easily get a decent Münchner Helles in the UK.

We are nowhere near the poorest city in the county,what a ridiculous statement. Folk of Sunderland are great at putting ourselves down . No the wonder other people do
Depends on your measure for "near" I guess.

I remember reading 10 of the UK's 12 poorest towns/cities are in the north of the UK.

Sunderland wasn't one of them.

Rea
Really - the North East is one of the poorest areas in the UK, why would Sunderland not be one of the poorest cities in the County. Which cities have lower average incomes and higher unemployment than Sunderland?

Rea

Really - the North East is one of the poorest areas in the UK, why would Sunderland not be one of the poorest cities in the County. Which cities have lower average incomes and higher unemployment than Sunderland?
Just checked, Sheffield, Hull and Bradford are the only cites with lower household incomes in the UK than Sunderland, and we have the 5th highest welfare spend, so you are wrong Sunderland is in fact one of the poorest cities in the UK

The UK cities with the highest and lowest wages

Last edited:
Not for a while. Are you on about since it’s reopened?
Yup. They've done a cracking job on it like.

Rea

Just checked, Sheffield, Hull and Bradford are the only cites with lower household incomes in the UK than Sunderland, and we have the 5th highest welfare spend, so you are wrong Sunderland is in fact one of the poorest cities in the UK

Far too simplistic a gauge. Costs more to live elsewhere so more money doesn't necessarily equate to being financially better off.

Last edited:
Rea

Wheres that list? The link just shows average wages & theres 22 lower than sunderland & 10 that are actual cities

Rea

Just read the link and Sunderland was bottom half but nowhere near the bottom.
It all has to be put into perspective anyway as the table takes nothing into account. I used to live in Reading and the cost of living particularly housing was horrendous. Somebody earning say 30% more than the same in Sundeland would be no better off. So no Sunderland isn't one of the poorest cities in the Uk. Not just based on wages anyway.

Yup. They've done a cracking job on it like.

Far too simplistic a gauge. Costs more to live elsewhere so more money doesn't necessarily equate to being financially better off.
You have got to gauge it i
Just read the link and Sunderland was bottom half but nowhere near the bottom.
It all has to be put into perspective anyway as the table takes nothing into account. I used to live in Reading and the cost of living particularly housing was horrendous. Somebody earning say 30% more than the same in Sundeland would be no better off. So no Sunderland isn't one of the poorest cities in the Uk. Not just based on wages anyway.

Sorry missed Stoke, Norwich and Swansea off the list that are cities. The rest in the list are towns, which isn’t the comparison I was making.

You can only make a comparison based on published metrics, maybe A similar study based on disposable income would have Sunderland higher up that list

City monitor - Centre for Cities

Rea

I’m not wrong

You have got to gauge it i

Sorry missed Stoke, Norwich and Swansea off the list that are cities. The rest in the list are towns, which isn’t the comparison I was making.

You can only make a comparison based on published metrics, maybe A similar study based on disposable income would have Sunderland higher up that list

City monitor - Centre for Cities

And wakefield
And plymouth
And preston

Also this is centre for cities, you might want to check what they class as each 'city' as its not quite as it seems.
Ie m'boro, they're basically including the whole of what was Cleveland excluding pools

And wakefield
And plymouth
And preston

Also this is centre for cities, you might want to check what they class as each 'city' as its not quite as it seems.
Ie m'boro, they're basically including the whole of what was Cleveland excluding pools
Should have checked my dummies guide for Cities in the UK.

I’m now chuffed to bits that I live in one of the least poor cities in the country

Any how Doner Haus was still closed an hour ago

Back