Doner Haus “closes due technical problems”

Which is usually restaurant speak for we are closing down until.

I am surprised it lasted this long to be honest as I have never seen more than 3 tables full every time I passed it.

The owner has got the site for virtually nowt on a long lease, or so he told me when it was Papadoms. Wonder if he will reopen it as something else or just throw the towel in with Sunderland.

I am surprised it lasted this long to be honest as I have never seen more than 3 tables full every time I passed it.

The owner has got the site for virtually nowt on a long lease, or so he told me when it was Papadoms. Wonder if he will reopen it as something else or just throw the towel in with Sunderland.
I just think it’s not a very good concept for a restaurant

I just think it’s not a very good concept for a restaurant
Totally agree Marra. Would struggle to work in a prosperous city centre with plenty of footfall let alone Sunderland.

The one I go to in Cologne is basically a greasy spoon that charges 4E for a kebab and 1.5E for a half litre bottle of Kolsch

Totally agree Marra. Would struggle to work in a prosperous city centre with plenty of footfall let alone Sunderland.

The one I go to in Cologne is basically a greasy spoon that charges 4E for a kebab and 1.5E for a half litre bottle of Kolsch
See that would be topper and would probably do well here in the right location. Nobody is going to go out for a gourmet kebab rather than say an Italian or Indian meal

didnt rate the food when ive been in. tried it very soon after opening and it wasnt great, gave them the benefit ot the doubt and tried it a few month later, very edible but imo not as nice as a half decent pizza shop one.

Ahem, watch your letterbox.

Last time I went in, paid about a tenner for a kebab and a pint.

Obv not as cheap as you say and what it will be in many places in Europe, but that’s not unreasonable whatsoever for the UK. You pay about 5-6 quid for a crap takeaway kebab, and pay about the same for a McDonalds meal.

People need to open their eyes more. Nando’s next door is thriving, charging more for what is bog standard chicken and chips.

I hope it isn’t closing permanently

Obv not as cheap as you say and what it will be in many places in Europe, but that’s not unreasonable whatsoever for the UK. You pay about 5-6 quid for a crap takeaway kebab, and pay about the same for a McDonalds meal.

People need to open their eyes more. Nando’s next door is thriving, charging more for what is bog standard chicken and chips.

Its cheap as fuck. I got a chicken one last weekend it was f***ing huge and was only £6.50. The quality of the meat pisses all over anything i have had from say a Fel Fel or Dolce Vita

This. For as nice as it might be, it's still knocking out kebabs that are far more expensive than comparable/better ones abroad in a city that baulks at anything other than Indian and Italian. I'm astounded it's made it this long.

It's a shame if it closes completely, really nice kebabs and pints. Unfortunately it was never going to work, people want kebabs when they're pissed and people from Sunderland won't pay £10 to sit down and eat a kebab

why should the uk be a lot more expensive than germany?

I went to Papadoms loads and thought the food was great. I enjoyed the bait in Doner Haus, and the beer, but never thought it would do well unfortunately. I am constantly amazed by how many people eat in Nando’s mind. Been once and was starving as soon as I got back home. Cannot see the attraction of the place at all

Back