Doner Haus “closes due technical problems”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Unfortunately the overpriced kebabs ain’t gonna compete with any of the 100+ greasy kebab houses in Sunderland.

And to be honest if I wanted some meat in bread with sauce, I’d probably nip for a Gyro or a shawarma for a fraction of the price. There’s certain food you don’t mind paying a bit extra for, a kebab isn’t one of them.
You're not really comparing the same thing though, what Doner Haus served up isn't the same as what the 100+ greasy kebab houses in Sunderland do.

You're 100% right, but 90% of the kebab consumers of the town won't care.
Of course. They had that initial phase when they opened when they were in the Echo explaining the difference between their kebabs and your bog standard box of grease, but as the post I quoted goes to show, they never fully got that across.

They'd have been better of focusing their attention / marketing on their wider offer of German food and drink rather than just 'nice kebabs'.

Of course. They had that initial phase when they opened when they were in the Echo explaining the difference between their kebabs and your bog standard box of grease, but as the post I quoted goes to show, they never fully got that across.

They'd have been better of focusing their attention / marketing on their wider offer of German food and drink rather than just 'nice kebabs'.
Poor branding I reckon

They do now like, they revised their menu and do currywursts etc.

They do now like, they revised their menu and do currywursts etc.
Yeah that's my point, they always had a few German beers on you can't get anywhere else in town, the bratwurst and frankfurter platters, and didn't they do schnitzel at one point? But they were always known as the 'nice kebab' place rather than the German place. That was where they poisitioned themselves though and the tag stuck.

You're not really comparing the same thing though, what Doner Haus served up isn't the same as what the 100+ greasy kebab houses in Sunderland do.
Dress it up as much as you want, but a kebab for me is a quick bite to eat, no frills, meat in a bread.

I’d get that from many more places at a fraction of the price. In Germany, Holland etc where they knock these kebabs out they’re served in small places as take outs or a few tables to park your arse for €5, not large restaurant type places. It’s street food, not fine dining.

that baveria bar opposite ttonic seemed to get that bit wrong... tried to have a german beer (& food) shtick to hang their hat on, which i think they did at the opening. i went in a few times, but the last time before it closed down the place was just another generic (shit) city centre bar, loud music, disco lights whilst serving fosters...

that baveria bar opposite ttonic seemed to get that bit wrong... tried to have a german beer (& food) shtick to hang their hat on, which i think they did at the opening. i went in a few times, but the last time before it closed down the place was just another generic (shit) city centre bar, loud music, disco lights whilst serving fosters...
Aye I think they promised something they didn't deliver, which was a shame because people were looking forward to trying it. Like you say, the bar was shite and the couple of times I tried the food it was also shite.

Dress it up as much as you want, but a kebab for me is a quick bite to eat, no frills, meat in a bread.

I’d get that from many more places at a fraction of the price. In Germany, Holland etc where they knock these kebabs out they’re served in small places as take outs or a few tables to park your arse for €5, not large restaurant type places. It’s street food, not fine dining.
I'm not dressing it up, I'm pointing out you're not comparing the same things. That's the standard perception of a kebab. Doner Haus thought they could change that perception, which clearly isn't the case, and which is why I made my point futher up the thread about them maybe making a mistake focusing on that.

I didn't say it was fine dining and I agree it's more street food, which is why I said the place had a better feel to it as a get up and order at the bar kind of place. More informal, pop in with your mates and have a beer while you're on. It didn't suit the table service they introduced.

Last edited:
Bavaria really was shite, but it could have been decent.

As soon as I saw their beers were 4% versions brewed under license in the UK rather than from Germany it was obvious too many corners were going to be cut.

German food is canny shite to start with, so if you don’t get it right it is abysmal, however I don’t think Bavaria did Haxn or Schnitzel, but did a metre long sausage ffs amongst other things.

Bavaria really was shite, but it could have been decent.

As soon as I saw their beers were 4% versions brewed under license in the UK rather than from Germany it was obvious too many corners were going to be cut.

German food is canny shite to start with, so if you don’t get it right it is abysmal, however I don’t think Bavaria did Haxn or Schnitzel, but did a metre long sausage ffs amongst other things.

Food was terrible in there. The beer was weak. I did not return.

Maybe I'm spoiled by eating like a Texan but some dry meat in a drier pitta with a fistful of grated cheese seemed a bit below par to me. Gourmet kebabs are a very limited concept anyway considering most folk only eat them when they're hammered. Nevertheless, always sad to see any local business go tits up, but I was more gutted popadoms closed.

they werent MLF marra iirc

German Beerkeller with Currywurst/Weißwurst , Pork Knuckle , Saurkraut , potato salad etc would be amazing. Get some Paulaner or Hacker-Pschorr in and I’d be there every week.

To cater for the generic unadventurous shithead Fosters and Carling drinking inhabitants of this city. As much as I love my home town, we don’t seem to accept any kind of change as much as other cities.

So it is definitely no more?
Well only the owner would know that I suppose, but I’m not sure what technical issues would leave a business closed for a week, and the packing boxes theoretically could be new stuff being unloaded rather than taken away; but sadly looks to be the case.
Shame too as the owner and their lass are really nice, and hard grafters too, but unfortunately one of, if not the, poorest city in the country was probably not the best of locations to try something a bit different

German Beerkeller with Currywurst/Weißwurst , Pork Knuckle , Saurkraut , potato salad etc would be amazing. Get some Paulaner or Hacker-Pschorr in and I’d be there every week.
Augustiner is the Daddy of Bavarian Helles mind, and if we are being traditional weisswurst should be eaten before 1100, which isn’t a bad thing with a pretzel and Weissbier for breakfast

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back