Doing Something Different on Xmas Day

me and the missus are separated and have been for some time. Our tradition is that I stay there on Christmas Eve so the kids have both of us there in the morning for the presents etc.

All well and good and I wouldn’t miss it but leaving to go back to an empty house at lunchtime without my kids is soul destroyingly lonely. So not recommended…

And sorry for bringing down the mood.
Hard to bear marra.
In our street there’s a clique among the neighbours who are friendly. One house was literally and figuratively the centre of the group and this year that couple broke up. She stayed put and he moved away. I felt so bad for him not having his girls on Christmas for the first time ever. It’s such a joy having our bairn at Christmas I can only feel very sad for those who have been denied that. Hope you and anyone else in a similar predicament have better luck in coming years.

me and the missus are separated and have been for some time. Our tradition is that I stay there on Christmas Eve so the kids have both of us there in the morning for the presents etc.

All well and good and I wouldn’t miss it but leaving to go back to an empty house at lunchtime without my kids is soul destroyingly lonely. So not recommended…

And sorry for bringing down the mood.
Sorry
To hear that
How long you two been apart?
My sons 18 now but was 9 when we split and these times were tough
I have a big family group so it helped with filling the day and dinner arrangements etc .

I usually hate Christmas day cos of all the stress of cooking for 10 or so people of varying dietary requirements.

There's only been me, the missus and two grown-up daughters here this year though (one of whom insisted on doing the cooking) which was bliss.

We all piled round the son's for bacon sarnies in the morning and exchanging presents, back home by midday.

Open house for us today with all the family round, loads of booze and more food.

Stopped in my room eating honey on toast, wouldn't recommend it 😂 spend as many Christmas's together as a family as you can as you never know when it could be someone's last. Losing my mam pretty much put pay to the "family" Christmas of old honestly I'd have given owt to have had a mundane "family" Christmas yesterday instead of sitting in my boxers shorts eating toast on my own with me mam's dog.

Evening all,

Hope everyone’s had a canny day.

I’ve just had the dog down the beach and whilst I was on my own it got me thinking; “need to do something different next year like “

Our lass always has everyone round at least once a week for a git big dinner and that so I feel as though the standard traditional Xmas day this year been much of a much of a muchness on any other Sunday.

I have previously did the going out to an Italian restaurant/ pub and found that crap.Service , food and price of it was poo.

The best thing I’ve did upto now for Xmas day is to go to Tenerife, Me and our lass had a lovely time. I’d have done that again this year but a little grandson come along and put pay to that.
Next year I fancy either going away again ( if our lass will leave the bairn) or more than likely go for an Indiana’s down Seaburn then into a couple of pubs afterwards.

Has anyone done anything from the norm at Xmas and any recommendations ?

Thanks.
We've done Xmas is the Southern hemisphere a few times, usually South Africa as we have a daughter there. The best though was New Zealand, breakfast on a deserted beach, swim in the sea, back for a light Christmas dinner in the sun and then a BBQ and a few drinks round a fire pit in the evening. Very special, might be doing it again next year as our son could be moving to Christchurch for a year.

I generally don’t like going abroad in general if I’m honest.
However Costa Adeje last Xmas was just right, bit sun on ya bones in the depths of winter was great
Whys that gilly (just bein a nosey twat).

I know airports etc are a ballache but love 3 or 4 abroad trips per year.

We've done Xmas is the Southern hemisphere a few times, usually South Africa as we have a daughter there. The best though was New Zealand, breakfast on a deserted beach, swim in the sea, back for a light Christmas dinner in the sun and then a BBQ and a few drinks round a fire pit in the evening. Very special, might be doing it again next year as our son could be moving to Christchurch for a year.

Now that hits the spot.

Surprised with that amount of trips , thought going as a single traveller was really expensive…..

Last edited:

Airports etc are really bad as is flying. Boring as fuck.

I’d say it’s many things but generally I enjoy being home.

Nice house, nice area , lovely costal views, miss the dog and so on. Beers shite abroad aswell.

I’ never stop anywhere that’s better than what I’ve got at home. All we go away for is the sun. I just like home mate.

I did however enjoy the couple of days away in Costa Adeje last year, had to play the game and stop at home this year with it being the grandbairns 1st Xmas and our lass being all excited. I’ll be away for a bit sun next year.
Equaled the record for a Christmas day in Perpignan yesterday, 21.2c, folk on the beach at Collioure, locals still had their top coats on mind. Can't beat staying put for Christmas. ;)
Only thing is though mate it’s full of French people.

Last edited:
Airports etc are really bad as is flying. Boring as fuck.

I’d say it’s many things but generally I enjoy being home.

Nice house, nice area , lovely costal views, miss the dog and so on. Beers shite abroad aswell.

I’ never stop anywhere that’s better than what I’ve got at home. All we go away for is the sun. I just like home mate.

I did however enjoy the couple of days away in Costa Adeje last year, had to play the game and stop at home this year with it being the grandbairns 1st Xmas and our lass being all excited. I’ll be away for a bit sun next year.

Only thing is though mate it’s full of French people.
Fair enough. Can be a chew on, took me dad away (77) recently and even a short alicante trip was like 6.5 hours door to door.

On the beer thing i actually thought that, with it not being touristy only local lagers on offer n he loves his john smiths n the likes, could tell he wasnt enjoying it like.

Great time though with a few cousins n his mates gatecrashing.

I find when you go a lot more frequent the chew seems less so. I graft in airports every 7 weeks now so like a fecking second home!

Fair enough. Can be a chew on, took me dad away (77) recently and even a short alicante trip was like 6.5 hours door to door.

On the beer thing i actually thought that, with it not being touristy only local lagers on offer n he loves his john smiths n the likes, could tell he wasnt enjoying it like.

Great time though with a few cousins n his mates gatecrashing.

I find when you go a lot more frequent the chew seems less so. I graft in airports every 7 weeks now so like a fecking second home!
Are you fixed up with a bit stuff yet mate ?
I can imagine it’s probs easier to go away if your single.

Hope that doesn’t sound to personal mate

Back