Doing Something Different on Xmas Day

Evening all,

Hope everyone’s had a canny day.

I’ve just had the dog down the beach and whilst I was on my own it got me thinking; “need to do something different next year like “

Our lass always has everyone round at least once a week for a git big dinner and that so I feel as though the standard traditional Xmas day this year been much of a much of a muchness on any other Sunday.

I have previously did the going out to an Italian restaurant/ pub and found that crap.Service , food and price of it was poo.

The best thing I’ve did upto now for Xmas day is to go to Tenerife, Me and our lass had a lovely time. I’d have done that again this year but a little grandson come along and put pay to that.
Next year I fancy either going away again ( if our lass will leave the bairn) or more than likely go for an Indiana’s down Seaburn then into a couple of pubs afterwards.

Has anyone done anything from the norm at Xmas and any recommendations ?

Thanks.

Evening all,

I’ve just had the dog down the beach and whilst I was on my own it got me thinking; “need to do something different next year like “

Our lass always has everyone round at least once a week for a git big dinner and that so I feel as though the standard traditional Xmas day this year been much of a much of a muchness on any other Sunday.

I have previously did the going out to an Italian restaurant/ pub and found that crap.Service , food and price of it was poo.

The best thing I’ve did upto now for Xmas day is to go to Tenerife, Me and our lass had a lovely time. I’d have done that again this year but a little grandson come along and put pay to that.
Next year I fancy either going away again ( if our lass will leave the bairn) or more than likely go for an Indiana’s down Seaburn then into a couple of pubs afterwards.

Thanks.
Just what you said tbh. Fly off somewhere. Work Xmas but away for the first time (abroad) for NY. Only Malaga but can’t wait…

Toyed with the idea of a xmas break at a nice lakes hotel…they sound class but really expensive and I’d want one that isnt overly formal. The ones we’ve looked at often include black tie dinners on one night which doesn’t appeal.

Tempted with the Yan near Grasmere or Another Place Ullswater( maybe too many kids for my liking)

Toyed with the idea of a xmas break at a nice lakes hotel…they sound class but really expensive and I’d want one that isnt overly formal. The ones we’ve looked at often include black tie dinners on one night which doesn’t appeal.

Tempted with the Yan near Grasmere or Another Place Ullswater( maybe too many kids for my liking)

This, but with a twist.

Villa somewhere nice with mountains and a nearby village with decent restaurants. Take the extended family and enjoy a similar gathering but in completely different surroundings.

Evening all,

Thanks.

Had my dad round today, who for the last 5 to 10 year has gone to either Spain or the canneries.

He said it felt less festive here than abroad, probably because everyone is so busy here and the build up is, at least in our family, complete chaos.

Said he will likely go away again next year. I can see where he is coming from, I would love to spend the time in the wilds of Northumberland or somewhere like that.

However my grandparents are in their late 80's and I couldn't justify going away and leaving everyone.

When we lived in the central belt we used to go to Edinburgh Zoo every Christmas Day
It was great as it was quiet (but not as quiet as you might think) and we always seemed to get decent weather whenever we went
Now we’re up north, we normally choose a hill to walk with the dog in the morning
It sets us up perfectly for the big lunch

Went away for 9 nights last year for the first time at Christmas, sat on the beach on Christmas Day and said to the dragon we should have done it years ago.

Currently away now , coming back a bit earlier for a family party but same applies , just me and the dragon, no hassle no chew on.

Get up early or late , into bed early or late , nobody to worry about but the pair of us.

The currant bun has been doing it for years and he’s the one the pushed the pair of us to shoot of away.

Nowt better than a bit of sun on your back this time of year.

Already been talking about adding a few days on next year.

We've done the last 23 years in the lakes. Initially for Xmas gradually building up the the Xmas and new year fortnight over the years.

It extends the Xmas festivities as you go out doing something different everyday. We did do 'the old England' in Bowness one year but like you say can be expensive and formal.

Now we get a house/cottage and takes the dogs with us for cracking walks and pubs.

We've done the last 23 years in the lakes. Initially for Xmas gradually building up the the Xmas and new year fortnight over the years.

It extends the Xmas festivities as you go out doing something different everyday. We did do 'the old England' in Bowness one year but like you say can be expensive and formal.

Now we get a house/cottage and takes the dogs with us for cracking walks and pubs.
How many dogs (if you don't mind me asking)?
We fancied a break away somewhere but we have 5 dogs and don't really know anywhere that would allow 5

Back