Doing Something Different on Xmas Day

I think getting away for Christmas is something I would love to do in the future, but with a 10 and 4 year old, it's literally impossible right now. Probably in 10 or so years time but not quite yet for us.

Instead we hosted our first Christmas dinner for 11 and somehow it all went swimmingly. Not doing that fucker again in a hurry though!

I’ve never done it but I’ve always fancied going for a curry on Christmas Day, just feels like a class way to spend the day.

Done it the other year, really enjoyed it but I was driving so only had an alcohol free pint, whereas I like a good few pints with an Indian

Our lass’s sister lives in London. She was on the phone saying they’d been away this year but weren’t impressed. Posted pics of them having Christmas dinner in what looked like a school canteen with some mud in a bowl that might have been pea soup (for Christmas?)

I asked where they were …

….

Chuffing Butlins! BUTLINS! 😁😁😁

They’re not English so perhaps they didn’t know. I didn’t even realise places like Butlins were still operating but it seems like they’re trying to get some coin in doing a Christmas thing so it’s not just the summer holidays.

Anyway the last place I’d think of booking if I wanted to get away for Christmas.

Does Pontins still interrupt the Boxing Day Bond film with reminders to “book early”?
Is it still 1978? 😁😁

Probably go to Catalonia next year. Wife’s birthday on the 23rd then stay there until epiphany. Been there a couple times for this period and I love it. Much more family focused, different traditions, different foods etc

Probably go to Catalonia next year. Wife’s birthday on the 23rd then stay there until epiphany. Been there a couple times for this period and I love it. Much more family focused, different traditions, different foods etc

Barcelona is fantastic for Christmas. You need to be a little lucky with the weather but a great city for wandering around eating and drinking.

What I like about Spain is that Christmas is a holiday but it doesn't totally shut down like the UK so most places remain open and public transport runs.

You obviously ate in the living space rather than Rampsbeck. Not into water sports ( oooeeerrr) and to be honest Another Place not the best for walking compared to Inn on the Lake etc. Rooms, restaurant and “ swim club” all top notch.
We avoid when kids are off though.

Only gripe was the service charge ( which I don’t mind) was calculated on the bill with the food added even though put on and credited off as a Dinner bed and breakfast stay. As long as going to staff not really bothered.

Lanzarote on Sunday…normally cycle in Mallorca at Easter and perfect. Temps good and not too touristy
We ate in both mate Maybe we just caught it at wrong time like you said mate

Last edited:
Barcelona is fantastic for Christmas. You need to be a little lucky with the weather but a great city for wandering around eating and drinking.

What I like about Spain is that Christmas is a holiday but it doesn't totally shut down like the UK so most places remain open and public transport runs.
That's cos Xmas is in January for them - try finding owt open 6/1

Last edited:
me and the missus are separated and have been for some time. Our tradition is that I stay there on Christmas Eve so the kids have both of us there in the morning for the presents etc.

All well and good and I wouldn’t miss it but leaving to go back to an empty house at lunchtime without my kids is soul destroyingly lonely. So not recommended…

And sorry for bringing down the mood.

Evening all,

Hope everyone’s had a canny day.

I’ve just had the dog down the beach and whilst I was on my own it got me thinking; “need to do something different next year like “

Our lass always has everyone round at least once a week for a git big dinner and that so I feel as though the standard traditional Xmas day this year been much of a much of a muchness on any other Sunday.

I have previously did the going out to an Italian restaurant/ pub and found that crap.Service , food and price of it was poo.

The best thing I’ve did upto now for Xmas day is to go to Tenerife, Me and our lass had a lovely time. I’d have done that again this year but a little grandson come along and put pay to that.
Next year I fancy either going away again ( if our lass will leave the bairn) or more than likely go for an Indiana’s down Seaburn then into a couple of pubs afterwards.

Has anyone done anything from the norm at Xmas and any recommendations ?

Thanks.
Me and an ex did a murder mystery thing one year.

It was shit.

Back