Dogs... full cost.

We pay about a tenner a month insurance,

A bag of greyhound food (he’s a whippet, and has had it since we got him from the breeder) is about £15 and lasts 3 months.

We feed him little tray of dog pate dog from Lidl at about 50p a go (one a day) and vaccines, worming etc about £100 a year.

Coats cost more than mine, but he’s a stylish bastard.

Runs round back house park for 20 minutes s day and kips for the other 23 and a bit hours.

Loves stealing fishfingers if left unattended.

Can i ask, do whippets make good pets? been thinking of getting one.

Yeh they aren't daft there, must make a killing off joe public having a the dog examined for two mins after the jab and that's 30 quid

I was in last month. When I came to pay for the treatment, they had a print off of their weekly takings on the desk, probably shouldn’t have been on public view.

Nearly papped meself

Can i ask, do whippets make good pets? been thinking of getting one.

Amazing. So loving, very clean, don’t smell, don’t loose much hair round the house, happiest when on a cushion or on your knee, sleep all day.

The only downside is they’re not happy on their own, there’s usually someone in our house during the day, so he’s not really on his own, but I do think they have a low tolerance to being left.

Get insurance. About £10 a month.
Food - get something decent, in bulk. Its not so bad

But, sounds like you're not going to be around all that much. Is that really fair on a dog?
The bairn's issues, I don't know about, but have a really good think about what you can do for the best, and good luck to you mate

Mind, kennel fees are nowt to worry about if you can afford holidays. I pay less than £10/day

You make a good point mate, to be honest it's the reason I said no to a dog years ago.. we were just too busy with work to have one and give it the attention and time it would need.. only reason it's getting consideration now is circumstances have changed... don't work so much now.. so better placed to look after one and give it the attention it would need...

Including the cost of the dog, our year 1 costs of our puppy will comfortably exceed £4,000. Don't imagine we will be exceptional in any way.

Approx breadown

Pup 1,000
Vets dd. 130
Visits to breeder 500
Crates, bedding etc. 100
Toys/baby gates etc 100
Speying 300
Insurance. 360
Grooming. 600
Training 500
Leads, collars, car stuff 100
Food and treats 500

Will be loads of other stuff that haven't remembered, above doesn't include boarding as might never do this and not in year 1 anyhow.
:eek:

Last edited:
I wouldn't put my dog in a kennel. I'd rather ask a trusted mate/neighbour to look after it for a week.
Nor me mate , there’s plenty decent dog walkers out there who will
Keep your dog at their home when you go on hols . I’ve used Pack Leader at Ryhope and he’s spot on, rather not go away then stick him in a kennel

I've got a cocker spaniel nearly 10 just had my insurance letter for the next year, it's went from £43 a month to £60. I did have 2 small claims last year...
Is he old mate ? That seems crazy for a spaniel , would have expected about £20pm

When they die it'll cost you a little piece of your soul.
<< THIS above all else , destroys you for a while

Last edited:
She's nearly 10, i was paying £20 a month when she was about 5. Price shoots up the older they get and it's the top cover i can get for her via LV.

Looking at direct line the equivalent is £55.

Initial cost of the dog obviously.
Vets fees - £99 one off for vaccinations for life at pets at home meaning initial vacs and boosters every year, £11 a month for fleaing and worming treatment.
Insurance - depends on the dog, ours is a collie and is £16 a month.
Food - we buy a big 15kg bag of food for £32 and lasts just over a month if not longer.
Kennel fees - free with leaving her at me mams.
Treats and toys usually like £5 a month.

Oh and we take her to a dog training class which is £3.50 a session we take her 3x a week

Last edited:
Don’t insure mine and just take the pain when she needs the vets, which had been quite a lot. £85 just after Christmas when it had a dodgy stomach again.

I pay 10 quid a month at my local vets for her flea treatment, worming, needles and a health check twice a year. Then pet insurance £22 a month. Food is a bag of kibble that costs £4 and lasts a month and Encore that’s a bit expensive but I don’t care as she loves it.
I’d pay a huge amount more because she’s the best thing ever and she loves me as much as I love her so tbh it’s not about cost or money it’s about how much they enrich your life. And she makes mine 120% better.

Not saying I’m a sad twat but dogs rule!

They deserve to be spoilt, no bad dogs just bad owners. All dogs and other pets should be loved unreservedly

If you’re near a vets for pets one of the best things you can get is their vac for life deal. Covers all their standard yearly boosters for the life of the dog.

Pays for itself after a few years .
Not so sure about vets for pets.
People I've spoken to reckon that they tend to 'find summat wrong' with their dogs - which end up costing a small fortune , nullifying the savings from vac for life.

What breed and age ? Seems a lot that

Hi mate we pay £33 pcm from picking the pup up at 10 weeks old. It's our choice though we could pay much less but went for the highest level of cover available in terms of both cover of vets fees (£15k per annum for any one claim or condition) and in terms of proper lifetime cover against any illness / condition.

They are priceless. Our 2 are our life. The wife (no) can't have kids so dogs are her babies. Give em a home, food, water and love end they'll love you forever. They are loyal and don't judge. Much better than humans come to think of it!

Initial cost of the dog obviously.
Vets fees - £99 one off for vaccinations for life at pets at home meaning initial vacs and boosters every year, £11 a month for fleaing and worming treatment.
Insurance - depends on the dog, ours is a collie and is £16 a month.
Food - we buy a big 15kg bag of food for £32 and lasts just over a month if not longer.
Kennel fees - free with leaving her at me mams.
Treats and toys usually like £5 a month.

Oh and we take her to a dog training class which is £3.50 a session we take her 3x a week

£130 a year for flea and worm treatment? You can buy the tablets for a few quid or am I missing something?

Back