Dogs... full cost.

Mrs g has been on a while about getting a dog. Without boring you all with the details the bairn is going through some tough times and the bride reckons a dog might help.. Always wanted a dog myself but until now it's not been practical, both working long hours etc.
I'm still a bit reluctant, we both still work albeit not the hours we used to, also things like holidays could be a problem.. just weighing up the pros and cons really and want to get an idea on the full cost..

Vets fees
Insurance
Food
Kennel fees ( for holidays if req) I know about... are there any costs I should factor in and any other advice from dog owners would be appreciated.

We pay about a tenner a month insurance,

A bag of greyhound food (he’s a whippet, and has had it since we got him from the breeder) is about £15 and lasts 3 months.

We feed him little tray of dog pate dog from Lidl at about 50p a go (one a day) and vaccines, worming etc about £100 a year.

Coats cost more than mine, but he’s a stylish bastard.

Runs round back house park for 20 minutes s day and kips for the other 23 and a bit hours.

Loves stealing fishfingers if left unattended.

£10-£15 a week for food/treats after the initial few quid for a dog basket, bowl etc. It's first injections will come to a couple hundred quid but that's a one-off. Through its lifetime you'll obviously fork out for flea treatments, vet bills, gifts etc but it's impossible to put a number on that.

I wouldn't put my dog in a kennel. I'd rather ask a trusted mate/neighbour to look after it for a week.

Never had a dog insured so can't help you there.

Mrs g has been on a while about getting a dog. Without boring you all with the details the bairn is going through some tough times and the bride reckons a dog might help.. Always wanted a dog myself but until now it's not been practical, both working long hours etc.
I'm still a bit reluctant, we both still work albeit not the hours we used to, also things like holidays could be a problem.. just weighing up the pros and cons really and want to get an idea on the full cost..

Vets fees
Insurance
Food
Kennel fees ( for holidays if req) I know about... are there any costs I should factor in and any other advice from dog owners would be appreciated.
They dont have to cost a lot. No doubt some people will disagree though.

Around £50 a year in vaccinations.
Insurance depends on what cover you want.
Food - again depends what you want to feed. Some of the prices are daft. Size of dog aswell.
£6 on a kong frisbee!
Around 30 a month on the basics I reckon we spent on ours - if that.

If you plan on using dog walkers, day camps etc then probably a lot more.

We pay about a tenner a month insurance,

A bag of greyhound food (he’s a whippet, and has had it since we got him from the breeder) is about £15 and lasts 3 months.

We feed him little tray of dog pate dog from Lidl at about 50p a go (one a day) and vaccines, worming etc about £100 a year.

Coats cost more than mine, but he’s a stylish bastard.

Runs round back house park for 20 minutes s day and kips for the other 23 and a bit hours.

Loves stealing fishfingers if left unattended.
£50 bloody quid a month for insurance for me!

If you’re near a vets for pets one of the best things you can get is their vac for life deal. Covers all their standard yearly boosters for the life of the dog.

Pays for itself after a few years .

It's how much do you want to pay!

Our vets is about £30 for annual booster jabs and a check up. It's not a fancy vets though and it's more pitched towards working animals. The premises are very basic but the care is excellent.

I buy Skinners food which is VAT free because it's working dog food. 30kg costs £48 delivered and lasts about two months for two border collies. Approx 40p a day.

Haven't got insurance but have got an emergency savings fund just in case! Based on the life of the dogs I've owned, I'm quids in compared with what I would have paid in premiums compared to what I've actually paid in vet fees. Luckily they've had little wrong with them. Appreciate it's a gamble though and someone else will say their dog had something seriously wrong that cost thousands so they were pleased to have insurance. It's up to you how you feel about risk if you go for insuring or having a contingency plan should the worst happen.

Frontline and Drontal (flea and worm treatments) - about £8 a month each. That would vary on the size of the dog though.

Christmas and birthday presents :oops:

Never used kennels as my parents always have them. Dad counts down the days to my holidays so he can have the dogs :lol:

I have an exotic breed, who after much trial and error prefers Morrison’s own brand kibble and tinned ‘meat in gravy’. He’s Had his jabs, breeder recommended not to do annual boosters. Sleeps 20 hours per day, grooms himself like a cat, in tip top condition and looks after the house when we’re at work. Named after Sid James park sadly

It's how much do you want to pay!

Our vets is about £30 for annual booster jabs and a check up. It's not a fancy vets though and it's more pitched towards working animals. The premises are very basic but the care is excellent.

I buy Skinners food which is VAT free because it's working dog food. 30kg costs £48 delivered and lasts about two months for two border collies. Approx 40p a day.

Haven't got insurance but have got an emergency savings fund just in case! Based on the life of the dogs I've owned, I'm quids in compared with what I would have paid in premiums compared to what I've actually paid in vet fees. Luckily they've had little wrong with them. Appreciate it's a gamble though and someone else will say their dog had something seriously wrong that cost thousands so they were pleased to have insurance. It's up to you how you feel about risk if you go for insuring or having a contingency plan should the worst happen.

Frontline and Drontal (flea and worm treatments) - about £8 a month each. That would vary on the size of the dog though.

Christmas and birthday presents :oops:

Never used kennels as my parents always have them. Dad counts down the days to my holidays so he can have the dogs :lol:

If I do agree to it I'd definitely have insurance... knowing my luck I'd get a right sickly sod...

Wouldn't really want to kennel one but not sure if my parents or father in law would entertain the idea so it has to be considered unfortunately.

Wouldn't be a big dog either, and it would get all the jabs/treatments it would need. Having never owned a dog I just wondered if there was anything I'd not considered..

Vets fees
Insurance
Food

£50 per month without kennel club or dog walkers if you take the dog with you and walk the dog yourself.
Ours is never left for more than 3 hours every day.
Think about the dog before you get one and the commitment.
Would not be without mine and would love another one.

If I do agree to it I'd definitely have insurance... knowing my luck I'd get a right sickly sod...

Wouldn't really want to kennel one but not sure if my parents or father in law would entertain the idea so it has to be considered unfortunately.

Wouldn't be a big dog either, and it would get all the jabs/treatments it would need. Having never owned a dog I just wondered if there was anything I'd not considered..
Get a Patterdale marra.

If you want to keep costs sensible longer term, either research your preferred breeds if you want a pure-bred to understand any common health issues or hereditary worries that could cost you a fortune or consider a rescue or cross-bred pup that'll less likely have line-bred health risks. It'll love you just as much as a pure breed but will also be cheaper to insure.

Lots of vets let you pay a small amount each month now and that'll cover flea and worming treatments, ours gives regular health checks and a discount on vet bills too plus flea and worming and annual booster jags for about £11/month and that makes it much easier to make sure she's well looked after.

For all your bits, a decent bed otherwise it'll steal your sofa or bed but that doesn't have to cost more than £20 for a cheap one, some toys to keep it interested (and good toys are great for play and bonding). Get into the likes of B&M or Poundstretcher for big bags of treats and cheaper toys etc.

For food, bigger bulk bags of dry (complete or mixer) = less cost long term. If you home-cook most of your food, give it a chunk of that on a night with some complete or dry mix - you know what is going into it and it's often better for your dog plus it means your dog eats when you do and that means less begging for food. Not chips and shite, but pasta, rice, tatties, veg, meat, they'll eat owt. My Pug goes daft for Sunday dinner!

It's easy to come across as patronising but I'm honestly not meaning too, but understand that even a fat lazy git needs a couple of walks a day and that means rain or sun, hangover or nightshift, yer mutt needs a walk. When you come to love your dog though, and you most likely will, walks will honestly become something you both come to enjoy.

And Tesco value nappy bags - for picking up the shite. Cheap as owt (don't buy the proper poo bags). Always pick up the shite!

We leave ours with friends and family when we're on holiday, I don't like the idea of kennels so can't comment on costs there but if you're spending a couple £k on a family holiday, a few hundred to make sure your dog is well looked after is worth it.

Back