Dogs... full cost.

my son and his mum we are divorced got a dog. Working strain cocker called Oakley. did not want him, she, said if i did not help she would give him away so I looked after him week on week off. she had cheap insurance and he broke his leg. 7K it cost me then last year had to put him down as he was paralysed from a spinal bleed cost another 3k. It stll kills me he's gone would sell my soul to the devil as I would for my family because it is unrequited love. Will not have another yet. Get one they are great

Mrs g has been on a while about getting a dog. Without boring you all with the details the bairn is going through some tough times and the bride reckons a dog might help.. Always wanted a dog myself but until now it's not been practical, both working long hours etc.
I'm still a bit reluctant, we both still work albeit not the hours we used to, also things like holidays could be a problem.. just weighing up the pros and cons really and want to get an idea on the full cost..

Vets fees
Insurance
Food
Kennel fees ( for holidays if req) I know about... are there any costs I should factor in and any other advice from dog owners would be appreciated.

Inbox me mate will give you full run down

Get a Patterdale marra.

Had a Patterdale cross for nearly 20 years, from '78 to '98. Fed her all the stuff you're not supposed to, chocolate, sausage, leftovers biscuits. Remained fit as a fiddle umtil she got bad joints and had to be put down. Barely needed to visit the vets at all.

Factor in training, and depending on what breed continued working. If you get a working dog like certain spaniels, collies etc then expect them to get bored (and therefor destructive) if you don’t do something to give them some brain drain. Agility, obedience or field trails are great. Most of that costs money, I’d hate to think about how much I’ve spent on agility training and shows over the last 6 years.

:eek:

Dog tennis balls are rubbish and mine bite them in half quickly. Human tennis balls from a sports brand last ages longer and bounce better. I usually buy a few canisters when they are selling them off after Wimbledon :D

Mine will destroy a tennis ball in 10 minutes. Get them the orange chuck-it balls now, not cheap like about a fiver a pop but they seem indestructible

Monthly insurance is over £30 for ours not sure what for, it’s only been to vets once and that still cost me £30.

Parky little thing (Lhasa Apso) will only eat chicken breast too.

Good dog though, great with babies as we’ve had lots

We bought 2 from a litter. £25 each a month insurance. 10kg bag of dry purina a month for £33. £60 a day all in when they go to day care :rolleyes:

Considering knocking the insurance on the head. Previous dog had a hernia from birth. Operation cost £112 to put it back. Just had these 2 spayed, £118 each. When I’m adding the figures up, i’d rather pay on the day compared to knocking out £600 a year

Edit - we also do a monthly payment of £12 each at the vets for worming and fleeing

Last edited:
We pay:

£11 a month insurance
£10 a week food and treats
Baskets and everything about £50 when we first got him
Don’t pay for holidays as always someone to look after him as he’s no bother
£40 booster and health check once a year

Mrs g has been on a while about getting a dog. Without boring you all with the details the bairn is going through some tough times and the bride reckons a dog might help.. Always wanted a dog myself but until now it's not been practical, both working long hours etc.
I'm still a bit reluctant, we both still work albeit not the hours we used to, also things like holidays could be a problem.. just weighing up the pros and cons really and want to get an idea on the full cost..

Vets fees
Insurance
Food
Kennel fees ( for holidays if req) I know about... are there any costs I should factor in and any other advice from dog owners would be appreciated.

Including the cost of the dog, our year 1 costs of our puppy will comfortably exceed £4,000. Don't imagine we will be exceptional in any way.

Approx breadown

Pup 1,000
Vets dd. 130
Visits to breeder 500
Crates, bedding etc. 100
Toys/baby gates etc 100
Speying 300
Insurance. 360
Grooming. 600
Training 500
Leads, collars, car stuff 100
Food and treats 500

Will be loads of other stuff that haven't remembered, above doesn't include boarding as might never do this and not in year 1 anyhow.

If you’re near a vets for pets one of the best things you can get is their vac for life deal. Covers all their standard yearly boosters for the life of the dog.

Pays for itself after a few years .
We use that, it's a cracking deal....make sure everytime you go you don't get the examination as well as they sting you for 30 quid a pop:lol:

Dogs cost nowt in the 70s n 80s to have so why so expensive now ?? Don’t believe they need all these injections from the vets , most of it is nonsense

If can fit around your working hours then get one, become your best mate

Back