Does anyone have the feeling they can't settle?

Interesting read this thread. Everyone’s different and lives the way they see fit.

Interesting to know if MT’s symptoms stop during a 1 or 2 week summer holiday or any changes to sleep pattern?
They get worse as I'm not active. Only time I'm at rest is driving or doing something active like cycling or skiing.

In general, I am always busy doing something but I do work on trying to shit my mind down a bit otherwise I wouldn’t sleep too.

Have periods of intense stress with work but when it’s not I try and relax and kick back and just get shit done at leisure without any real worries.

I also have very restless legs. Often been asked if I’m on drugs.

I have discovered a zen calm by simply packing in doing anything like that unless absolutely essential. So no decorating, no DIY, no tip runs, no gardening, no reorganising, no finding stupid jobs just to fill time. Do the bare minimum to run a household and that’s it. Take every shortcut, cut every corner and spend the rest of the time loafing.

Living the dream you Dave lad

Unfortunately I'm not the boss in my house

High achieving individuals often share the same traits.

Going at in 90mph constantly. I bet you do all 3 at the limit of you’re ability?
I'm actually quite relaxed when doing the above on the whole but I am prone to moments of stupidity. Like the day I challenged myself to break 100kmh descending alp dhuez on the bike. Which I did. For absolutely no reason.

I'm actually quite relaxed when doing the above on the whole but I am prone to moments of stupidity. Like the day I challenged myself to break 100kmh descending alp dhuez on the bike. Which I did. For absolutely no reason.
I did 45 downhill once and nearly shit myself 😂

Have a month off this summer and smell the roses my friend. You can afford it and you’ll perform better upon your return.

Equilibrium.

I have discovered a zen calm by simply packing in doing anything like that unless absolutely essential. So no decorating, no DIY, no tip runs, no gardening, no reorganising, no finding stupid jobs just to fill time. Do the bare minimum to run a household and that’s it. Take every shortcut, cut every corner and spend the rest of the time loafing.
That can be just as dangerous to your health as having a high stress life.

In the last 10 years of his working life, my dad seemed to lose all his hobbies. When he retired, he took up watching any old crap (quiz shows and Bargain Hunt especially) on telly, drinking coffee and eating biscuits. Even regular jobs like cutting the grass, my mam did it most of the time. He just sat in his chair. The more he sat, the less his brain engaged, and the less inclined he was to do anything. The end result was a heart attack, followed by a stroke that left him unable to do much more than continue to sit in the chair. He spent the last 5 years of his life with a very poor quality of life, unable to even take himself to the toilet.

It was heart breaking for us as the family, to see someone we loved just deteriorate. The worst causes by illness, but the few years before that was an active choice to just stop. We tried to engage him in stuff, tried to find him new hobbies, but it didn't work.

My advice to anyone is to stay fit and stay both mentally and physically active. Sit on your arse too much and you find it leads to a short and unhealthy retirement.

That can be just as dangerous to your health as having a high stress life.

In the last 10 years of his working life, my dad seemed to lose all his hobbies. When he retired, he took up watching any old crap (quiz shows and Bargain Hunt especially) on telly, drinking coffee and eating biscuits. Even regular jobs like cutting the grass, my mam did it most of the time. He just sat in his chair. The more he sat, the less his brain engaged, and the less inclined he was to do anything. The end result was a heart attack, followed by a stroke that left him unable to do much more than continue to sit in the chair. He spent the last 5 years of his life with a very poor quality of life, unable to even take himself to the toilet.

It was heart breaking for us as the family, to see someone we loved just deteriorate. The worst causes by illness, but the few years before that was an active choice to just stop. We tried to engage him in stuff, tried to find him new hobbies, but it didn't work.

My advice to anyone is to stay fit and stay both mentally and physically active. Sit on your arse too much and you find it leads to a short and unhealthy retirement.
Yes well I’m not advocating doing nothing, just not filling all your time with “jobs”. I never just sit in front of the telly, I’ve always got the PlayStation on as well so that takes care of the mental engagement.

Isn't tv and PlayStation the same?
Err no. One involves staring vacantly at the screen and requires no effort. The other involves thinking and manual dexterity. Of course the degree of that depends on what you’re playing. I’m currently playing a strategy game, so loads of planning and thinking involved. But I also have the telly on so I can vacuously watch telly at the same time.

Err no. One involves staring vacantly at the screen and requires no effort. The other involves thinking and manual dexterity. Of course the degree of that depends on what you’re playing. I’m currently playing a strategy game, so loads of planning and thinking involved. But I also have the telly on so I can vacuously watch telly at the same time.
You’ll have to explain the manual dexterity piece.

If you say so. Imagine only having fast fingers.
He is right. Many games have the puzzle or strategy element.

If he said he was going playing chess or cards, everyone would nod and acknowledge it was good mental stimulation. If it is just a random shooter game then fair enough. I got a xbox to play games with the kids and most of the games we have, we often stop and sit trying to figure out the solution.

Back