Doctors on £100,000 salaries to strike demanding 35pc pay rise

The 20% rise is for one pay point and it's that high because it coincides with a jump in scale anyway due to progressing seniority which existed historically. So its a little bit disingenuous for them to be reporting it this way.
It's always the same. Remember a few years ago they had headlines reporting nurses (I think) were getting a 6% rise. They were but it was over 2 years so technically 3%. But that doesn't make as good a headline.

You don't understand what a Junior Doctor is, do you?
Yes, I do. What makes you think that?

Someone (I think) suggested all junior doctors (this would include fy1) should get £10k a month. Sounds a bit daft.

If they weren't suggesting that, fair enough.

We are, to be honest I voted to accept the initial offer. It's just the reporting by the media of a 20% rise is going to stir up resentment when actually it's not quite representative of what's happened.

Well there's a surprise, fancy the (Tory? by any chance) media exaggerating, the sad thing is that some people actually believe it.

When there was a new GP contract in 2003 it was reported that the pay rise was 30%.

What they didn't clarify was the change in payment of employers pension which previously was paid by the government but they made it the responsibility of the GPs so 20% of the rise was a simple transfer of cash and didn't benefit GPs at all.

Following this after 10 years of pay reduction I'd had enough and left
Was this offer put before a union ?
Was there an option to accept or refuse ?
Trying to put this into simple terms eg;
£1000pw plus 20% pension contribution paid by government , so effectively £1200pk.
Offer:
1000 plus 30% rise = 1300.
Less 20% contribution now deducted from salary. £260
Pay rise in real terms £40.
Made up figures but surely there’s no way of sinning that past whoever was representing the Dr’s ???
One could even call that a £160pw pay cut.
Can’t be right surely ?

Last edited:

Back