Doctors on £100,000 salaries to strike demanding 35pc pay rise

Maybe bankers and CEO`s should be satisfied with being on £100,00 by their mid-30`s too then, after all it isn`t that bad. Business could then use the money saved to pay the rest of their staff a decent wage and also lower their prices so everyone wins????
Loads will be. It's the 95th+ centile as far as wages go. They deserve it.

Lucky you

He was totally bonkers.
I have a healthy scepticism about people who build careers on 'change management', particularly if they flit every couple of years.

In my experience they usually disregard contradictory evidence or advice, and leave chaos in their wake for other poor buggers to clean up.

Wouldn't fancy being a 'sun dodger' on any submarine he commanded if he was like that. Interesting that he had a relatively short RN career. Maybe they saw his 'issues'.
Loads will be. It's the 95th+ centile as far as wages go. They deserve it.
Juniors aren't. They're on the median and mean as FYs. But they do go up to 80th percentile at year 3 and the 90th percentile at year 5.

Last edited:
Wouldn't fancy being a 'sun dodger' on any submarine he commanded if he was like that. Interesting that he had a relatively short RN career. Maybe they saw his 'issues'.

He got moved on from the navy at short notice, and ended up as my boss in the NHS for a few years. His departure from the Navy came shortly after an incident in which an Irish trawler was sunk by a British sub. He was rumoured to have been the commander and his nickname was "Trawler Tucket", except for Mo Mowlem who used to call him "Fuckwit Tucket"

He was one of a number of ex cold warriors who were dumped on the NHS as senior manager, almost all of whom were a disaster. In my first meeting with him he spent all of his time telling me how wicked the local hospitals were and I must never give them any information.

He was "strongly encouraged" to leave the NHS, and his replacement made no attempt to disguise his contempt for him. Nor did anyone else.

At DMA he appeared in Private Eye for giving a speech in which he told employees that the agency had been through rough seas, but he was the man to steer them towards the lighthouse. Some smartarse from the Navy put his hand up and pointed out it was normally a good idea to steer away from the lighthouse, to great merriment. His crediblity never really recovered.

I met him again when he was in Government Commercials and he knew even less about that than he did about healthcare.

He was one of a number of ex cold warriors who were dumped on the NHS as senior manager, almost all of whom were a disaster. In my first meeting with him he spent all of his time telling me how wicked the local hospitals were and I must never give them any information.
I spent the last 15 years of my career dealing with people like that. Senior Officers usually come from combat/warfare units and have a reasonable proficiency at most of the professional skills within them. They know most peoples jobs quite well and can do a lot of them.

Totally different in healthcare where most professionals have unique skills. You can crack the whip if need be, but if your leadership style and team ethos isn't collaborative, everyone is stuffed.

Juniors aren't. They're on the median and mean as FYs. But they do go up to 80th percentile at year 3 and the 90th percentile at year 5.
Juniors aren't earning £100k. I wasn't talking about juniors, obviously.

Earning 80th centile wages at about 25 years old is pretty good. They deserve it though.

Juniors aren't earning £100k. I wasn't talking about juniors, obviously.

Earning 80th centile wages at about 25 years old is pretty good. They deserve it though.
What's this obsession that you have about age all about? If they are trained then their age is irrelevant.

What's this obsession that you have about age all about? If they are trained then their age is irrelevant.
I'm not obsessed about age. People do tend to get paid more with age/experience though.

Being on the 80th centile of earnings when you're 25 isn't all that bad. They deserve to be relatively well paid though, I certainly don't begrudge them that.

Last edited:
I'm not obsessed about age. People do tend to get paid more with age/experience though.

Being on the 80th centile of earnings when you're 25 isn't all that bad. They deserve to be relatively well paid though, I certainly don't begrudge them that.
Their wages should be compared to to those from comparable professions rather than just everyone else. They aren't bad but at the same time are hardly amazing.

An University Lecturer starts on about £36k following, usually, a lot longer at uni. Trainee solicitors in their second year (equivalent age/studying) to a FY1 doctor, earn less on average. Similar story in pharmacy.
They are not quite the same in regards to demand mind.

They are not quite the same in regards to demand mind.

I think they're all canny in demand. There's probably a lot less supply of medical doctors though, to be fair.

It's a difficult one. One big issue is that those at the top of their game can't earn as much as a lawyer (or dare I say banker) on the top of their game. That's because of the way the NHS is funded.

I guess it's like how a CPS prosecutor is likely to earn a lot less than a top criminal defence barrister. God knows what the answer is, but if we want the NHS to survive you can't just write a blank cheque.

Back