Do You Still Send Cards?

For Christmas and Birthday's etc, or is it now a thing of the past?

When i was a kid, the living room walls would be covered in cards from family, friends and parents work for Xmas and Birthday's.

And now family, friends and neighbours over the last few years are saying they aren't sending any cards and not to send them any back.

We send Christmas cards to relatives who live far away, and I usually pop a few through for the neighbours but thats about it. Annoys me some what of the cost to post them these days. I could easily spend £10 on postage and only £1-2 on the actual cards.

Yes but not nearly as many as years ago. Its a personal thing really.

I dislike receiving cards through the post with computer generated address labels. That's not personal.

Birthday cards to family aye. What kind of wanker doesn't send their mam or dad a card on their birthday?

Don't do xmas cards though. Although our lass does send some

Yes. Posted the rest of them few days back. Complete with tiny bits of glitter, of course. Three names have been taken off my list this year but two new ones added so am still just over forty cards penned and posted. Takes me an entire evening. :lol:

Edit: Also still post picture postcards back home when am in the NE. Last couple of years I have found some on Holy Island but am still hoping one day to find some with a Sunderland related picture.

Last edited:
The only person that I used to send cards for in recent years was mam until she passed. She got the full whack; birthday, wedding anniversary, Christmas.

Personally, I'd rather receive a text message.

One of fond childhood memories is Christmas cards up all over the walls. My parents used to get hundreds and the home looked great.

i’m lucky if I get them from my kids 😭

Just Say No to the Capitalist Commercial Fest that is Christmas.....Bah Humbug!!!! 👼

Why Aye to Birthday Cards Though..... :cool:

Yes, I send Christmas cards and birthday cards. I hand-deliver as many as possible and post those I can't. For the friends and family who live quite a way away I think it's nice to write a little update and try to arrange a catch-up int he new year.

I also send Christmas cards from the parish council to hauliers who are supporting our road safety projects. Partly to thank them warmly but also with an eye to January when we're going to approach them to ask for a small donation (nothing to these companies) as we try to raise funds for our missing roundels.

For Christmas and Birthday's etc, or is it now a thing of the past?

When i was a kid, the living room walls would be covered in cards from family, friends and parents work for Xmas and Birthday's.

And now family, friends and neighbours over the last few years are saying they aren't sending any cards and not to send them any back.
I send cards to my parents and my lass. My lass gets a geet big soft lovey dovey thing - keeps the piece for ten minutes.

Everyone else gets a hilarious message 😂

It's getting less and less each year, a few people have passed away so there's about 15 this xmas and only my neices 3 kids get them for birthdays.

Back