do you ever say the word hew

Just speak normal and add hew at the end each sentence hew. You'll sound ridiculous hew. But those that do it now sound ridiculous hew.

:lol: Some of my favourite English words I only notice when back over in Sunderland. The way the locals say them just makes me smile from ear to ear.

Words like 'year' becomes 'yur'. 'Long' becomes 'lang'. 'Wrong' becomes 'wrang'. 'Yellow' becomes 'yella' and so on. My favourite Sunderland word is 'honey' when it becomes 'hunny'. :lol: It is just so wonderfully charming and endearing.

I have picked up 'sossij' though. It is easier to say than the proper word and I make myself smile, too.

:lol: Some of my favourite English words I only notice when back over in Sunderland. The way the locals say them just makes me smile from ear to ear.

Words like 'year' becomes 'yur'. 'Long' becomes 'lang'. 'Wrong' becomes 'wrang'. 'Yellow' becomes 'yella' and so on. My favourite Sunderland word is 'honey' when it becomes 'hunny'. :lol: It is just so wonderfully charming and endearing.

I have picked up 'sossij' though. It is easier to say than the proper word and I make myself smile, too.
Unny to many :lol:

Fling ya clays strite in the wesher :lol:

Unny to many :lol:

:lol:

When I lived in Shildon many moons ago I finally learned not to say 'Hi' to people in town. It took about five different people walking past me, all saying 'Alright' before it dawned on me that it's their way of saying 'Hi'. Funnily enough I can sometimes actually get away with that myself when am back over these days. Before I learned about the local ways on this each time someone said 'Alright' to me, I would stop and say 'Yes, thank you' and be about to ask them the same but by then they would be long gone down the street. :lol:

It was in Shildon as well that I learned something equally amusing to me. I was in the local pipey tobacco place where they mixed the baccy to your own personal taste. When I entered the place there was no-one behind the counter so I just stood there waiting for a few moments. Then this fabulous, old lady came in as well, looked around the place for a split second and shouted 'SHOP !'. Seconds later the man came to the desk so it worked. But tell you what, the ol' dear's shouting made me jump. Been wanting to use it myself in an empty place, too but here fifteen or so years on am still waiting for the chance. :lol:

Fling ya clays strite in the wesher :lol:

:lol: Another word I love to bits is how people in Sunderland say 'throw' instead of a woolly blanket. I reckon I could get away with using that one say.

Last edited:
This is something that's often been a minor annoyance on here. I spent over 40 years working and/or living in Hetton and the only time I ever heard this word was if someone was addressing or referring to one of the few people I've met called Hugh.

Reading this thread has helped me understand better but, the word being used is how (or 'ow). I know the way it is said it doesn't sound like how but it also sounds even less like hew. It's one of those sounds that's probably impossible to write because it comes down to the persons accent. I would say, however, it's probably 1/3 hew and 2/3 how so maybe it should be written as heoow, hoeow or hooew:)

Back