Do you do a superfluous job?

Let’s say you were building a society, Sim y City style.
You’re obviously going to start of with the basics, so you need food, power, water, sanitation, construction, engineering, medicine, law enforcement and banking (and probably some more)
Anyone in those industries is important.
But once you move away from those, how many jobs are still important? Do we need Entertainment? Media? Politics? Advertising? Sales?

Where do you draw the line of importance?
If you've got a bank im assuming this is a capitalist society.

We may not need advertising, sales but companies trying to make a wedge do.

We also need leaders, which breeds politics.

We need the news, a town crier or whatever - media

And we need to be entertained

Intelligence.

If our jobs disappeared it would be a fuck on for those we support directly but it would be a long while before any wheels fell off, if ever.

I consider it more healthcare than intelligence myself since I’ve retained a decent amount of core public health work.

I suppose technically non-health promotion public health is just intelligence, technically...

He works in the photocopier room. He'd be more useful as pig food.

I used to scan things for a living when I worked in admin at university but I’ve since got a masters degree, changed jobs three times and doubled my salary there mate 😎
Hmmmm. That seems somewhat tenuous. Dont you work in policy?

And before ye start my post was tongue in cheek :lol:

Me and @Some Random Guy do the exact same job.

Let’s say you were building a society, Sim y City style.
You’re obviously going to start of with the basics, so you need food, power, water, sanitation, construction, engineering, medicine, law enforcement and banking (and probably some more)
Anyone in those industries is important.
But once you move away from those, how many jobs are still important? Do we need Entertainment? Media? Politics? Advertising? Sales?

Where do you draw the line of importance?
The people working in food, power, water, sanitation, construction, engineering, medicine,law enforcement and banking are gonna have shit weekends if there's no football.

I suppose if we were building society from the ground up you would hope my job (mental health and psychology ) would not be needed in terms of a paid role.
We got away without psychologists for millenia but we did have priests, witch doctors and shaman which I presume most wouldn't want for the brave new world.
If the society is going to be post industrial it's going to be neurotic so I reckon I just scrape into necessary.
I've often thought we all just keep each other in jobs
Apart from service industries for housing ,schools etc what's all the rest about
Greed, created desire and avarice in the main.

Last edited:

Back