Do you do a superfluous job?

The big lie. we had lime before cement us stone mason swear by it for 2000 years we cant be wrong
I don't disagree and lime has a multitude of uses from steel to paper, clean water, sugar etc but they're very close cousins and both need rocks burning at 1400c and tonnes of CO2 driven off. Last place I worked the very best stuff went to lime and cement was just made from the "waste"
I've often thought we all just keep each other in jobs
Apart from service industries for housing ,schools etc what's all the rest about
Always thought that when I lived in Dubai. You'd be at a BBQ and 50% of the people were in construction. The rest provided services to them, when they stop building the whole place could go tits up

Last edited:

I don't disagree and lime has a multitude of uses from steel to paper, clean water, sugar etc but they're very close cousins and both need rocks burning at 1400c and tonnes of CO2 driven off. Last place I worked the very best stuff went to lime and cement was just made from the "waste"

Always thought that when I lived in Dubai. You'd be at a BBQ and 50% of the people were in construction. The rest provided services to them, when they stop building the whole place could go tits up
Its weird ,you're a builder fixing a blokes house who works at Nissan making cars for people who sell sofas to people who do landscaping for people who hire skips to builders

Does our new society need a military?

Like the song goes, no more Presidents and the wars will end.
Such as setting fire to the elderly, which also serves to reduce the drain on resources. Win win.

Covered in dried wee they should be easy enough to light.
Its weird ,you're a builder fixing a blokes house who works at Nissan making cars for people who sell sofas to people who do landscaping for people who hire skips to builders

Quid pro quo.

Last edited:
read the hitch hikers guide to the galaxy..doulgas adams already thought about this

Golgafrincham was a planet, once home to the Great Circling Poets of Arium. The descendants of these poets made up tales of impending doom about the planet. The tales varied; some said it was going to crash into the sun, or the moon was going to crash into the planet. Others said the planet was to be invaded by twelve-foot piranha bees and still others said it was in danger of being eaten by an enormous mutant star-goat.

These tales of impending doom allowed the Golgafrinchans to rid themselves of an entire useless third of their population. The story was that they would build three Ark ships. Into the A ship would go all the leaders, scientists and other high achievers. The C ship would contain all the people who made things and did things, and the B Ark would hold everyone else, such as hairdressers and telephone sanitisers. They sent the B ship off first, but of course, the other two-thirds of the population stayed on the planet and lived full, rich and happy lives until they were all wiped out by a virulent disease contracted from a dirty telephone.

😀
Entertainment. Is not life-essential but life-enhancing. Most people spend much of their free time from work consuming entertainment in one form or another. Music, books, films, games. There have been storytellers throughout human history, in various guises.
My working life has been totally superfluous - libraries, arts, events. 😀

Let’s say you were building a society, Sim y City style.
You’re obviously going to start of with the basics, so you need food, power, water, sanitation, construction, engineering, medicine, law enforcement and banking (and probably some more)
Anyone in those industries is important.
But once you move away from those, how many jobs are still important? Do we need Entertainment? Media? Politics? Advertising? Sales?

Where do you draw the line of importance?

If respite care for families with children with life limiting or life shortening conditions was totally government funded, I'd be out of a job.

Back