Do you believe time travel is possible?

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I started thinking about, is energy can’t be created or destroyed only converted to one form from another, and mass and energy are interchangeable. That means at any particular time in the Universe, the amount of mass/energy will always be the same.

If you took yourself from 2019 back to 1973, you woule be removing energy from 2019 and putting it into 1973, creating an imbalance. It would mean the amount of energy in the universe is no longer constant. Does this not make it impossible?
No cos 2019 and 1973 exist in the same space time continuum. Or something.

Saw a documentary on the BBC once. Some bloke with curly hair and a long scarf and some lass went back in time live on the telly. I think he did it a few times actually. He did it by stepping into some big box. Anyway he showed that time travel is possible.

Any good information on this is appreciated.

Thanks.

According to Stephen Hawking, no it isn't possible, because physics.
Frankenstein I mean Einstein.
I'm pretty sure Professor 'insert popular scientist here' said its possible.

I always wanted to be a mad scientist.

He didn't, though, did he?

General relativity suggested that there could be a mathematical interpretation of the universal equations that would permit "closed time-like loops" where causality works in a different way, and by fiddling the terminology you could technically call it "time travel", but all current solutions that would attest to that require the universe to have specific properties it actually doesn't have.

Einstein's work showed that if you have two clocks, one of which is stationary and the other travelling very quickly, that they don't move at the same rate, and that simply by travelling at high speeds could technically be classed as time travel, but again, it's just fiddling with definitions and isn't really "time travel" the way time travel is described in science fiction, it just means a journey actually takes longer than it appears to the person taking the trip.
I completely refute that theory, it was good at the time but understanding has moved on a bit.

You would ;)

Has it now?

Please explain how relativity has been surpassed by other theories with regard to the speed of light. I'd like to hear this.

Last edited:
Time doesn’t exist.

It’s just something our brain creates to help us make sense out of existence

Everything that has ever been, is, or will be has already happened/is happening/will happen. All in what we would consider as an ‘instant’.

What made/makes/ will make it possible to travel in time is something akin to memory. It’s just in our mind.

And as we all know, memory changes reality.

Time is just grammar.

And death is the only grammatically correct full stop.

Etcetera.

If we went for a space trip at the speed of light the geometry of space would be different to that of the geometry of the earth because of gravity. The speed of light is invariant to the geometry of space so travelling away from the compressed spacetime of the earth time would be relatively slower to the earth, from your viewpoint. So after the space trip of one year, many years would have passed on earth.

We can't currently achieve the speed of light because when an object increases in speed it increases in mass, which in turn would require more energy to propell it....which would then increase its mass...and .requiring more energy....so it would be impossible.

The only way they could achieve such "speeds" is if they manipulated spacetime with gravity engines. It is being tentatively researched by science, the Alcubierre drive!!!!

I went to a Brian cox lecture at the city hall and he talked about a theoretical possibility of traveling backwards in time...somehow....it was quite leftfield science....but it didn't close the door on traveling backwards....unbelievably.

Last edited:
I once convinced a lass in a pub that it wasn’t The Tyne tunnel but it was the Time Tunnel and she must have misheard it over the years. Told her that when you went through you put your clocks back an hour no matter what time of year it was. The wind up lasted months. Pre internet mind.

Yes. Several major world events have been manipulated using time travel, this has fundamentally changed the course of history and how we think today.

I don't believe time travel is possible, however, Mrs Q appears to be convnced of the possibility as she frequently departs the house for an appointment due to start in the past,convinced that she will arrive at the appointment on time. I will ask her if this is evidence for her belief in time travel, a refusal to accept she is ever late or simply that she is thick as fuck and report back yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back