DNECL 2022

Not heard of that name but there was a Suru Nayak who played for a few clubs at that time. Crook, Reyrolles and Philadelphia to name 3.
Yeh, same thought occurred to me, mistaking Nayyar for Nayak.
nayak certainly played for Crook, Phili and South Shields,don't remember Reyrolles though,doubt that they'd be able to attract such a high profile pro.

I saw Nayak play in Test at The Oval 1982.Botham got double ton and Geoff Cook a fifty .He played at Crook 1980 & 81.Nayyar is a name I vaguely recall from mid nineties time 🤔 , probably in the old Durham County League.
Yeh, same thought occurred to me, mistaking Nayyar for Nayak.
nayak certainly played for Crook, Phili and South Shields,don't remember Reyrolles though,doubt that they'd be able to attract such a high profile pro.
I think Nayak did play in Tyneside Senior League for Reyrolles.Probably had a strong work/sports connection back in the day 🤔
I saw Nayak play in Test at The Oval 1982.Botham got double ton and Geoff Cook a fifty .He played at Crook 1980 & 81.Nayyar is a name I vaguely recall from mid nineties time 🤔 , probably in the old Durham County League.

I think Nayak did play in Tyneside Senior League for Reyrolles.Probably had a strong work/sports connection back in the day 🤔
Didn't his son Sujit play for Easington about 5/6 yrs back 🤔

Last edited:

Correct on his son Sujit, what a lovely bloke he was too! Unbelievable cricketer as well. I keep in touch with him and a few of the overseas from that time on social media, he’s doing very well in Mumbai set up

Outstanding bat his son as well.

Thats why there are more clubs folding than ever before.
The standard of local cricket is shocking now and only getting worse..
Well done Durham.

It’s happening all over the country, is that Durham’s fault too?

It’s also happening in recreational football, from Northern League level, to Wearside/Northern Alliance level, even in Sunday League. Is that Durham CCC’s fault too?

That’s open for debate but it doesn’t answer either of the questions I put to you.
No neither of those things are Durham's fault but insofar as cricket in their own region is concerned they made a deteriorating situation far far worse.
The Durham Senior League looked after their own and in over 100 years only a handful folded . Look at what has happened now.

Last edited:
Thats why there are more clubs folding than ever before.
The standard of local cricket is shocking now and only getting worse..
Well done Durham.
What a load of shite. Nepl has NOTHING to do with clubs folding. That would have happened regardless and you know it fine well.

You and everyone on here know full well that the senior league shot themselves in the foot with their arrogance. We’re f***ing well rid imo.

No neither of those things are Durham's fault but insofar as cricket in their own region is concerned they made a deteriorating situation far far worse.

The deterioration of recreational cricket is a nationwide problem and has been for some time.

What you are doing is exactly the same as people who blame the Labour Party for the 2008 Global Financial crisis.
The Durham Senior League looked after their own and in over 100 years only a handful folded . Look at what has happened now.

Which is an incredibly insular and almost elitist way of looking at things, one might suggest.

Last edited:
What a load of shite. Nepl has NOTHING to do with clubs folding. That would have happened regardless and you know it fine well.

You and everyone on here know full well that the senior league shot themselves in the foot with their arrogance. We’re f***ing well rid imo.
Funny how in over 100 years the DSL protected their clubs to the extent that in that time only a handful folded, while their league supplied most of the Durham side.
I remember Friday night cup games attracting up to 1000 and more with players like Haynes , Parry , Richardson. Cairns etc.
Local cricket is a shadow of what it was.
The deterioration of recreational cricket is a nationwide problem and has been for some time.

What you are doing is exactly the same as people who blame the Labour Party for the 2008 Global Financial crisis.

Which is an incredibly insular and almost elitist way of looking at things, one might suggest.
You could argue this but it protected clubs. They didnt have to bamkrupt themselves and could give young players opportunities knowing they were safe from " relegation" .
Now teamd are having to pay more than half tge team to turn a team out.

They had every right to be arrogant . They had been successful for over 100 yrs and didnt need no nowts like Geoff Cook telling them what to do.

Last edited:
I remember Friday night cup games attracting up to 1000 and more with players like Haynes , Parry , Richardson. Cairns etc.
Local cricket is a shadow of what it was.

Cricket has moved on, players such as those don’t even play county cricket nowadays, such is the direction of the game. With all the formats and tournaments, it’s a year round game. Test cricketers simply don’t play club cricket anymore.

You could argue this but it protected clubs. They didnt have to bamkrupt themselves and could give young players opportunities knowing they were safe from " relegation" .
Now teamd are having to pay more than half tge team to turn a team out.

That just isn’t true. No team has to pay anyone anything, they never did.

It’s similar to Northern League football (where I played), it’s always baffled me why clubs pay thousands of pounds to players when they have zero ambition to actually progress up the pyramid. It’s the same with cricket. There’s no mega pot of prize money and there’s nowhere to progress to. It makes zero business sense to have massive wage bills, but that’s the nature of the beast.

Cricket has moved on, players such as those don’t even play county cricket nowadays, such is the direction of the game. With all the formats and tournaments, it’s a year round game. Test cricketers simply don’t play club cricket anymore.

That just isn’t true. No team has to pay anyone anything, they never did.

It’s similar to Northern League football (where I played), it’s always baffled me why clubs pay thousands of pounds to players when they have zero ambition to actually progress up the pyramid. It’s the same with cricket. There’s no mega pot of prize money and there’s nowhere to progress to. It makes zero business sense to have massive wage bills, but that’s the nature of the beast.
The NEPL has also massively increased player mobility .
In the Durrham Senior League the vast majority of players were from the area.
Horden and Eppelton for example were winning the league with 8 or 9 home grown players.
Doesnt happen now.
This also reduced the supporters affiliation with their clubs.
Horden v Blackhall
Or Eppelton v Hetton Lyons were games where whole villages supported theiir club.
Now you willl be lucky if a team has 2 players from the area.

Last edited:
Horden and Eppelton for example were winning the league with 8 or 9 home grown players.
Doesnt happen now.
Horden v Blackhall
Or Eppelton v Hetton Lyons were games where whole villages supported theiir club.
Same everywhere it’s more to do with kids not seeing cricket on to than any local league. That’s how I fell in love with the game watching tests in school holidays, if I was a kid now I wouldn’t see any cricket

Doesnt happen now.
Horden v Blackhall
People are now more mobile than ever before. More cars per family etc. again nothing to do with nepl or cricket in general.

You’re talking shite yet again sitting there with your rose tinted specs on

Back