Disastrous journeys

I'll start with my journey from Manila to Kulala Lumpur this weekend...

Background is there was a near disaster at Manila last Thursday , though as far as I'm aware it wasn't reported in UK.

A Chinese plane crash landed at Manila during a thunderstorm on Thursday, basically it landed, bounced up again and then belly flopped onto the ground, in fact it overshot the runway .

The passengers and crew had to be ecacuated but thankfully no-one died and only 5 people even had minor injuries.

The runway was blocked on Friday with no flights in or out.

So I'm supposed to fly Saturday at 12.50, on Friday night I got a text saying the flight is delayed until 1400. No big deal I thought as I went to bed.

Next morning I woke to a text the flight had been delayed until 1550, a bit annoying but ok better than waiting at the airport for hours. 10 minutes after I got up there was another text saying the flight is delayed to 1725...not happy now.

So I left home at 1pm , and in taxi to airport by 1.15pm. Traffic is surprisingly good until the last mile, when literally it took an hour to do the last mile. Not good.

Gets into the terminal and checked in, only to see the queue from hell at immigration/passport control. Started queuing outside the queue lines at end of the line! Took over an hour to clear passport control!

Then waiting, waiting, waiting until about 8.30pm (6 hours after I got to the airport) when finally my flight is called for boarding. Had to wait another hour until we boarded at 9.30pm.

10.30pm the pilot announces there are delays at Manila (no shit Sherlock), but he says if we cannot take off within 40 minutes from now, the flight will have to be cancelled because the crew will be out of flying time!

So we are waiting and waiting and then the pilot announces we will be takibg off but diverted to Kota Kinabulu (over 1000 km away)..

Ended up taking off11.30pm and then having to wait 4 hours at 2am for a connecting flight to KL. So finally left Kota Kinabulu at 7.15am and arrived 9.45am to find that my suitcase has got left behind...

Upshot is that my 3 days in KL turned into a day and a half, and I didn't get to visit the 3 places I really wanted...

Anyone else had disastrous journeys they would like to share?

I'll start with my journey from Manila to Kulala Lumpur this weekend...

Background is there was a near disaster at Manila last Thursday , though as far as I'm aware it wasn't reported in UK.

A Chinese plane crash landed at Manila during a thunderstorm on Thursday, basically it landed, bounced up again and then belly flopped onto the ground, in fact it overshot the runway .

The passengers and crew had to be ecacuated but thankfully no-one died and only 5 people even had minor injuries.

The runway was blocked on Friday with no flights in or out.

So I'm supposed to fly Saturday at 12.50, on Friday night I got a text saying the flight is delayed until 1400. No big deal I thought as I went to bed.

Next morning I woke to a text the flight had been delayed until 1550, a bit annoying but ok better than waiting at the airport for hours. 10 minutes after I got up there was another text saying the flight is delayed to 1725...not happy now.

So I left home at 1pm , and in taxi to airport by 1.15pm. Traffic is surprisingly good until the last mile, when literally it took an hour to do the last mile. Not good.

Gets into the terminal and checked in, only to see the queue from hell at immigration/passport control. Started queuing outside the queue lines at end of the line! Took over an hour to clear passport control!

Then waiting, waiting, waiting until about 8.30pm (6 hours after I got to the airport) when finally my flight is called for boarding. Had to wait another hour until we boarded at 9.30pm.

10.30pm the pilot announces there are delays at Manila (no shit Sherlock), but he says if we cannot take off within 40 minutes from now, the flight will have to be cancelled because the crew will be out of flying time!

So we are waiting and waiting and then the pilot announces we will be takibg off but diverted to Kota Kinabulu (over 1000 km away)..

Ended up taking off11.30pm and then having to wait 4 hours at 2am for a connecting flight to KL. So finally left Kota Kinabulu at 7.15am and arrived 9.45am to find that my suitcase has got left behind...

Upshot is that my 3 days in KL turned into a day and a half, and I didn't get to visit the 3 places I really wanted...

Anyone else had disastrous journeys they would like to share?

You could've just summarised the film plot rather than giving us the entire script. Can’t wait for the sequel, big queue dilemmas

48 hours??? How come??

And more to the point how come£2k on booze, what was it? Dom Perignon ?

It was the weekend Monarch went under...coupled with bad weather meaning we couldn't get off the island so missed our original flight, then all the flights were full with Monarch customers....so spend around 18 hours in an airport in Male....then another 12 in Colombo before missing the flight back from Heathrow and having to get a train from Kings Cross.

I basically ate and drank like a king because of the inconvenience I had been caused - I blamed work for it all of course :)

I was pint after pint....as much as I could throw down me....and as much food as I could eat. I had two colleagues with me as well....I'm not a total animal.

Manila also, two days delay due to a typhoon, they made us wait in the terminal hours before cancellation, I knew it would be canceled much earlier, when trees, advertisement hoardings and bus shelters were blowing down the street and car park outside. Upside was that I got pissed down Burgos street with a nice lass and her milf auntie who asked to stay my place, I thought I was going to get turned over, turned out alright in the end ;)

Flight from Sydney to Bangkok. Part of the engine broke off so we emergency landed at Melbourne. Got interviewed by local news upon arrival and put up in a five star hotel. Next day got the rescheduled flight to Bangkok. Drank so much I can't recall any of the flight after the first hour and the first bit I can remember again is hanging out the back of a lass with my mate asleep in bed with her mate.

Back