Disastrous journeys

Flight from Sydney to Bangkok. Part of the engine broke off so we emergency landed at Melbourne. Got interviewed by local news upon arrival and put up in a five star hotel. Next day got the rescheduled flight to Bangkok. Drank so much I can't recall any of the flight after the first hour and the first bit I can remember again is hanging out the back of a lass with my mate asleep in bed with her mate.

I'm wondering if that second bit should be on a different thread :)

When I was a kid me mam gave some change for a 10p
mix-up. Walked all the way to the corner shop ( by myself ) must have been 60 / 70 mtrs and when I got there me mam had only given me 8.5p :evil: Had to walk all the way home again for the other 1.5p before shopkeeper would give me it :evil:

Off with family for a fortnight in Mexico, took off as normal on a rainy Tuesday morning, problem was the date 11/9/01.

Spent three nights in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

One the fourth day finally made it to the resort in Mexico.

I’ve got a fair few, 24 hours delay in Zhengzhou airport due to heavy snow, put us in a local hotel, was fine, room felt warm enough and cozy, so slept in my boxers and t shirt. The steam heating failed during the night, woke up around 2am in what felt like first stages of hypothermia, the bath towel I’d used earlier was freezing solid almost. Got dressed huddled around the electric kettle for warmth, checked out and walked back the airport in a blizzard.

I walked to the supermarket earlier, it was closed. I then walked to the next supermarket, also closed. Turns out they're all closed as I think it's a public holiday.

Disastrous journey.

40 hour bus journey from Koh Samui to Singapore.

Bus was late so missed our connecting bus from KL to Singapore. Had to wait around for hours in KL and then was hoyed onto some proper skanky bus that had no air con to a place called Malaka (found it quite funny as that is the word for wanker in Greek LOLZ) to connect to Singapore.

Malaka is probably one of the dodgiest places I have visited. We arrived there about 11pm and the buses to Singapore weren't running till 6am.

Had to hang around this dodgy ass bus stop for 7 hours which was surrounded by Malaysian smackheads, beggers, gangsters. Never felt more on edge in me life.

Drove a Porsche to the Nurburgring only to find it was a sponsored cycle race on....
Parked up at the hotel, went back to the course and got bladdered with the hot ladies behind the bar....

I'll start with my journey from Manila to Kulala Lumpur this weekend...

Background is there was a near disaster at Manila last Thursday , though as far as I'm aware it wasn't reported in UK.

A Chinese plane crash landed at Manila during a thunderstorm on Thursday, basically it landed, bounced up again and then belly flopped onto the ground, in fact it overshot the runway .

The passengers and crew had to be ecacuated but thankfully no-one died and only 5 people even had minor injuries.

The runway was blocked on Friday with no flights in or out.

So I'm supposed to fly Saturday at 12.50, on Friday night I got a text saying the flight is delayed until 1400. No big deal I thought as I went to bed.

Next morning I woke to a text the flight had been delayed until 1550, a bit annoying but ok better than waiting at the airport for hours. 10 minutes after I got up there was another text saying the flight is delayed to 1725...not happy now.

So I left home at 1pm , and in taxi to airport by 1.15pm. Traffic is surprisingly good until the last mile, when literally it took an hour to do the last mile. Not good.

Gets into the terminal and checked in, only to see the queue from hell at immigration/passport control. Started queuing outside the queue lines at end of the line! Took over an hour to clear passport control!

Then waiting, waiting, waiting until about 8.30pm (6 hours after I got to the airport) when finally my flight is called for boarding. Had to wait another hour until we boarded at 9.30pm.

10.30pm the pilot announces there are delays at Manila (no shit Sherlock), but he says if we cannot take off within 40 minutes from now, the flight will have to be cancelled because the crew will be out of flying time!

So we are waiting and waiting and then the pilot announces we will be takibg off but diverted to Kota Kinabulu (over 1000 km away)..

Ended up taking off11.30pm and then having to wait 4 hours at 2am for a connecting flight to KL. So finally left Kota Kinabulu at 7.15am and arrived 9.45am to find that my suitcase has got left behind...

Upshot is that my 3 days in KL turned into a day and a half, and I didn't get to visit the 3 places I really wanted...

Anyone else had disastrous journeys they would like to share?

Malta vs England last year, car ran out of petrol about 15 mile from Edinburgh airport and ended up missing the flight. Didn't make it to Malta so ended up watching the game in some pub near York :neutral:

Metro replacement bus service from Jesmond to Heworth. Took about three weeks to get home from the airport and the bairn played eye-spy the whole way.

few seasons back. Was at Uni in Lancaster. We were playing Blackburn on a Monday night live on Sky. Cash turnstiles on the night. I considered it all day then finally decided to fuck it off and attend my final lecture 4-5pm instead. Came to 5pm. Lecture was shit. I checked train times to Blackburn. Asked on here should it be done? Advice was aye, go for it! All the old-timers reminisced about the days of hitch hiking to the arse end of nowhere. I rechecked times to Blackburn but completely forgot about times home. It won't matter I thought I'll jump in a taxi outside the ground and be back at the station in no time! Young & naive.

Got to the game. It finished 0-0. Worst game I've ever witnessed. There was basically me and about 3 buses of ALS kids in the away end. It was beyond freezing.

Came out. No taxis anywhere. I nipped into that away pub (forgot it's name now?) and asked for a taxi number. They pointed to the phone on the wall which was a direct line. I didn't factor in the inevitable match traffic and I was still stood outside Ewood when my train was leaving Blackburn. Jumped in the taxi & told him to take me straight to Preston. Pitch black and only me in the taxi with a North East accent. I'm sure he took me around the houses because the taxi cost about £90. Dropped off at Preston. Only fucker in the whole station. Not a soul anywhere. Eerily quiet. Sat on the bench in the station like a down and out making a home for the night waiting for the final train to depart Preston for the night. :lol:

got home about 1am, £100 lighter (on student income this just about bankrupt me) having stood with the ALS knackers watching the worst game of my life. Was up and sat in a lecture room at 8am the following morning.

morale of the story - when the SMB says do it, do the opposite! :lol:

few seasons back. Was at Uni in Lancaster. We were playing Blackburn on a Monday night live on Sky. Cash turnstiles on the night. I considered it all day then finally decided to fuck it off and attend my final lecture 4-5pm instead. Came to 5pm. Lecture was shit. I checked train times to Blackburn. Asked on here should it be done? Advice was aye, go for it! All the old-timers reminisced about the days of hitch hiking to the arse end of nowhere. I rechecked times to Blackburn but completely forgot about times home. It won't matter I thought I'll jump in a taxi outside the ground and be back at the station in no time! Young & naive.

Got to the game. It finished 0-0. Worst game I've ever witnessed. There was basically me and about 3 buses of ALS kids in the away end. It was beyond freezing.

Came out. No taxis anywhere. I nipped into that away pub (forgot it's name now?) and asked for a taxi number. They pointed to the phone on the wall which was a direct line. I didn't factor in the inevitable match traffic and I was still stood outside Ewood when my train was leaving Blackburn. Jumped in the taxi & told him to take me straight to Preston. Pitch black and only me in the taxi with a North East accent. I'm sure he took me around the houses because the taxi cost about £90. Dropped off at Preston. Only fucker in the whole station. Not a soul anywhere. Eerily quiet. Sat on the bench in the station like a down and out making a home for the night waiting for the final train to depart Preston for the night. :lol:

got home about 1am, £100 lighter (on student income this just about bankrupt me) having stood with the ALS knackers watching the worst game of my life. Was up and sat in a lecture room at 8am the following morning.

morale of the story - when the SMB says do it, do the opposite! :lol:
Definitely got robbed by that taxi. That journey is probably only £30 still these days.

I'll start with my journey from Manila to Kulala Lumpur this weekend...

Background is there was a near disaster at Manila last Thursday , though as far as I'm aware it wasn't reported in UK.

A Chinese plane crash landed at Manila during a thunderstorm on Thursday, basically it landed, bounced up again and then belly flopped onto the ground, in fact it overshot the runway .

The passengers and crew had to be ecacuated but thankfully no-one died and only 5 people even had minor injuries.

The runway was blocked on Friday with no flights in or out.

So I'm supposed to fly Saturday at 12.50, on Friday night I got a text saying the flight is delayed until 1400. No big deal I thought as I went to bed.

Next morning I woke to a text the flight had been delayed until 1550, a bit annoying but ok better than waiting at the airport for hours. 10 minutes after I got up there was another text saying the flight is delayed to 1725...not happy now.

So I left home at 1pm , and in taxi to airport by 1.15pm. Traffic is surprisingly good until the last mile, when literally it took an hour to do the last mile. Not good.

Gets into the terminal and checked in, only to see the queue from hell at immigration/passport control. Started queuing outside the queue lines at end of the line! Took over an hour to clear passport control!

Then waiting, waiting, waiting until about 8.30pm (6 hours after I got to the airport) when finally my flight is called for boarding. Had to wait another hour until we boarded at 9.30pm.

10.30pm the pilot announces there are delays at Manila (no shit Sherlock), but he says if we cannot take off within 40 minutes from now, the flight will have to be cancelled because the crew will be out of flying time!

So we are waiting and waiting and then the pilot announces we will be takibg off but diverted to Kota Kinabulu (over 1000 km away)..

Ended up taking off11.30pm and then having to wait 4 hours at 2am for a connecting flight to KL. So finally left Kota Kinabulu at 7.15am and arrived 9.45am to find that my suitcase has got left behind...

Upshot is that my 3 days in KL turned into a day and a half, and I didn't get to visit the 3 places I really wanted...

Anyone else had disastrous journeys they would like to share?

Makati to the airport as you said the last mile an hour - painful.

To be fair a day and a half in KL is enough..

Told this story on here before. On my brother's 21st birthday we were playing Sporting Lisbon in Portugal pre-season

For his birthday I got us flights and hotel and flew out on the morning of his birthday with the intention of going to the ground and getting tickets (cash turnstiles it said online). Got to the stadium and it was empty. Wandered around for about half an hour and found the club shop - poor lass in broken English could barely contain her laughter when she was telling us that the game wasn't being played in Lisbon but in Albufeira on the Algarve which was a mere 160 miles away :lol:

So me and my bro ended up watching it in the hotel as it was amazingly on the tele over there. With it being a Sunday the whole of Lisbon was basically shut, so we got to see absolutely fuck all.

Never been back to Portugal and my brother doesn't trust me with any travel plans anymore :lol:

Off with family for a fortnight in Mexico, took off as normal on a rainy Tuesday morning, problem was the date 11/9/01.

Spent three nights in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

One the fourth day finally made it to the resort in Mexico.

I got a bit luckier than you, in some ways, on 9/11. I was flying to San Francisco on one of the last flights that was able to turn back to the UK. Never yet got there...

Christmas 2013. Flew home from Vegas, first to Georgia - flight from hell as the plane dropped midair, trollies, luggage, people, flew up in the air. Masks came down. Absolutely shit myself - was just turbulence apparently. I’ve never been the same flying. :oops:

Was planning to get a connecting flight from Ronald Reagan to Heathrow. Cancelled. Was convinced I was spending Christmas in an airport. Absolute nightmare.

BA sorted us out however, taxi to Dulles and flight back in time for Christmas Eve and straight to the local.

Back