Devestating news. People who have pretend jobs aren't earning money

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a grumpy old bastard with two teenage girls who believe the shite these lot spout. I keep telling them that these people are being paid to say that this squidgy make up ball is great value at £17.

having said all that, my daughter went to meet Joe Sugg a few years ago. He was very good and chatted a bit and she got a hug. She was on top of the world. On the train home my youngest daughter whispered to her, ‘what did he smell like.’ Strange girl.

about a year later there was a bbc 3 programme on YouTube stars. The clip they chose of a fan meeting JS was my daughter. It showed her walking up to him, his arms going out for a hug and just as they were about to hug some fat twat walked in front of the camera. Yup, you guessed it, that fat twat was me.

I’m a grumpy old bastard with two teenage girls who believe the shite these lot spout. I keep telling them that these people are being paid to say that this squidgy make up ball is great value at £17.

having said all that, my daughter went to meet Joe Sugg a few years ago. He was very good and chatted a bit and she got a hug. She was on top of the world. On the train home my youngest daughter whispered to her, ‘what did he smell like.’ Strange girl.

about a year later there was a bbc 3 programme on YouTube stars. The clip they chose of a fan meeting JS was my daughter. It showed her walking up to him, his arms going out for a hug and just as they were about to hug some fat twat walked in front of the camera. Yup, you guessed it, that fat twat was me.

Best mates with @BoldonBlackCat is Joe Sugg :lol:

It's bollocks really though. Why would anyone think 'ooh, ill stop there' just because some young'un has said aye it's great? Blame the people like hotel owners that are taken in by it really.
Most of them are incredibly disingenuous anyway. Went to a temple in Myanmar, f***ing minging, black with mould, dropping to bits. Look at all the Photoshopped blog images out there and they make it look glistening white and pristine. They unrepentantly sell you a lie 99% of the time. If I'd travelled across the world to see that after reading those blogs of have been gutted.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was flicking through IG not so long back , came across one of influencers that who’s name sprang up more than a few times , a Property developer no less , must be doing well with the fancy sports car , the Rolex and the multiple swanky holidays.

Two minutes on companies house tells the real truth , multiple companies been liquidated, current company showing no profits and even less assets.

Living the dream? , aye right oh .

As I said before built on sand .

They'll probably just set up their own private cam site where you can get a glimpse of glittery camel toe whilst their twerking to some shite. Whoredom, all of it.

:)
Knew that would come up.

To be honest, I'm more annoyed at the final piece that I wrote. This drive towards brands and the encouragement to spend money on pointless luxury instead of building a better life for yourself is what frustrates me.
We live in a country that relies on foodbanks, and an underfunded NHS, yet there's people being paid a grand to go a party holding a particular bag.
Its not the person's fault - is the system at blame for facilitating this insanity. These brands need to pull their weight and contribute to society, instead of just taking for themselves.
Spot on!! I just hope now, that this crisis has made many people reflect on what values are most important in society and we become a less materialistic society, a more caring society, caring for all in society.
I hope these influencers are replaced by influencers with social conscience, humanity, good morals, heart and compassion, etc. Influencers with the drive to shape others to improve their values and morals and act to better the lives of the less fortunate in society. We can never make society perfect but we can make it a lot more equal for all.

Reactions: PTR
I understand why you'd dislike the people, it does seem like a ridiculous occupation. But advertising is proven to work, and social media is the biggest and easiest platform by far to advertise on.

More importantly is there a market for middle aged cat-type female influencers who like nice slippers, obsess about clumping cat litter, loves true crime podcasts and a sprinkling of smut? Only I've got a large cat bill looming. 😃
Bound to be. There's one woman who makes a mint out of cleaning her house so, I don't see why you can't do that.

More importantly is there a market for middle aged cat-type female influencers who like nice slippers, obsess about clumping cat litter, loves true crime podcasts and a sprinkling of smut? Only I've got a large cat bill looming. 😃

I know some dog owners who have got the odd freebie from having a decent Instagram following (for their dog).

I don’t really get why people get so wound up about influencers. It’s just a different type of marketing.

Companies have always marketed their products. Now, instead of paying billions to marketing companies, they’re paying smaller amounts to individuals, who then benefit directly from it. It’s no big deal. In fact, it’s a wee bit nicer and more personal.
Well yeah bit it then transfers the onus to the individual rather than the corporation. You just know it attracts easily influenced individuals who will when the work dries up ultimately end up killing themselves over a lack of followers or self worth. Look at the daily mail sidebar (I do). Top targets that Lauren goodger, chloe ferry and that Ken barbie bloke who is now a lass.

They are being used.

Am I missing something vis-a-vis Instagram? My mate asked me to sign up and follow his son that was trying to become ... I dunno, a lad that visits car shows? None of it made any sense to me.
Same. Signed up. Followed one person and I still don't get it.

I'd class them as being in the entertainment business. I find it quite sad for any business that goes under due to the corona virus. This is peoples lives being devastated you are laughing at.

Well yeah bit it then transfers the onus to the individual rather than the corporation. You just know it attracts easily influenced individuals who will when the work dries up ultimately end up killing themselves over a lack of followers or self worth. Look at the daily mail sidebar (I do). Top targets that Lauren goodger, chloe ferry and that Ken barbie bloke who is now a lass.

They are being used.
You’re right in a sense but (bring totally objective) is that any different from famous people killing themselves for the same reasons? Famous people are used by corporations too.

He’s more than just an influencer though isn’t he? Started off with YouTube videos and it launched his career with singing and West End shows and stuff didn’t it?

YouTubers are different from Instagram influencers - they make money because of the number of views they get (although they do get endorsements and stuff as well they can still entertain and make good money without them). The Instagram influencers rely on showing stuff off on people’s feeds so are more reliant on endorsements than YouTube vloggers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back