Derry Girls

Just caught up with the finale.

The Sopranos is my favourite show because in spite of the Mafia aspect it feels "true" in the sense that it gets the human condition, the need for love, the cost of not getting it, at its most profound.

I think Derry Girls is just as good at that "truth" except It captures hope, and warmth, and the fact that you can have an experience as otherworldly wonderful as Orla's, dancing to music that just makes you feel incredible, among a completely mundane experience like walking home from nowhere special.

Ever since Brexit I've been disgusted by the willingness for politicians and British citizens to throw away the most important piece of legislation in the UK's modern history. But the finale also reminded me that people have experienced worse, been trapped in a seemingly perpetual cycle of hate and retribution, but they voted for better.

Nothing stays the same. Things get better, they get worse, and the cycle goes on.

The best art helps you to confront or deal with that, and that's precisley what Derry Girls is. Absolute f***ing masterpiece.

Last edited:

The Sopranos is my favourite show because in spite of the Mafia aspect it feels "true" in the sense that it gets the human condition, the need for love, the cost of not getting it, at its most profound.

I think Derry Girls is just as good at that "truth" except It captures hope, and warmth, and the fact that you can have an experience as otherworldly wonderful as Orla's, dancing to music that just makes you feel incredible, among a completely mundane experience like walking home from nowhere special.

Ever since Brexit I've been disgusted by the willingness for politicians and British citizens to throw away the most important piece of legislation in the UK's modern history. But the finale also reminded me that people have experienced worse, been trapped in a seemingly perpetual cycle of hate and retribution, but they voted for better.

Nothing stays the same. Things get better, they get worse, and the cycle goes on.

The best art helps you to confront or deal with that, and that's precisley what Derry Girls is. Absolute f***ing masterpiece.
Thought it was shite.
Got to love the SMB for the differing opinions and the great way they get put across :D

Got to love the SMB for the differing opinions and the great way they get put across :D
I honestly thought that it was shite. I watched the 1st two series when they came out. Didn't bother with the 3rd. We were looking for something to watch about a month ago & as my wife didn't see it, but had heard good reports of it, we put it on from the start. I asked her what she thought of it when we had watched it all.

"Shite".

I liked the finale of the sopranos - you can choose your own end. Very clever.

Derry girls made me laugh out loud. Very little on the tv does for me. Quite historically educational too. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Also very clever tv.

I liked the finale of the sopranos - you can choose your own end. Very clever.

Derry girls made me laugh out loud. Very little on the tv does for me. Quite historically educational too. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Also very clever tv.
It was superb and both the writing and acting was brilliant.

I loved Orla she was brilliant.

I liked the fruity brunette! And the boring old fella 😂 great cast of characters. One of the few things me and the Mrs sat down to watch together.

My missis loves it. She's from Belfast and grew up in the 90's so they is a bit of nostalgia. I don't think I've laughed once. I suppose it's quite heart warming as a growing pains drama but as a comedy I laugh more during the ad break
How it got so highly thought of, is a mystery. Fair enough, for people like your wife, but I just didn't see what everyone else saw in it. I reckon loads just read or heard that it was that good & jumped on the bandwagon.

How it got so highly thought of, is a mystery. Fair enough, for people like your wife, but I just didn't see what everyone else saw in it. I reckon loads just read or heard that it was that good & jumped on the bandwagon.
I waited until the end of every episode waiting for the comedy. I was thinking this is the standard boring plot development bit before the hilarious ending that people are wanking over. Then the episode would end and the standard boring plot development bit was, in fact, the whole fuckin episode.

I understand that people have lauded it for incorporating Omagh and the GFA but if My Family ended referencing 7/7 it would still be My Family.

Just watched the finale and that's my take on it as well. Is it the funniest comedy ever? It had laugh out loud moments but no. Is it the cleverest comedy ever? It weaved politics into it very well but no. What it does have is a warmth to it that is missing from a lot of other shows and sometimes it is just nice to be nice and want characters to be happy. I don't feel I need to be challenged by everything I watch and this was a refreshing change. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Just watched the finale and that's my take on it as well. Is it the funniest comedy ever? It had laugh out loud moments but no. Is it the cleverest comedy ever? It weaved politics into it very well but no. What it does have is a warmth to it that is missing from a lot of other shows and sometimes it is just nice to be nice and want characters to be happy. I don't feel I need to be challenged by everything I watch and this was a refreshing change. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

It was class.

Back