Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
How much is anxiety come hand in hand with depression, are they just 2 sides of the same coin for use?

minds spinning at min, cant tell how irrational the fears are

How much is anxiety come hand in hand with depression, are they just 2 sides of the same coin for use?

First of all are you OK mate ? Personally anxiety started with me then when I did not deal with it that's when depression hit.

Not today mate no, I have a general unease and mind racing on stuff. I’ve had depression lots but feel like the anxiety is harder
Ahhh mate so sorry am asleep canny early sorry so just saw this. Have you been to see anybody about this cos the longer you put things off honestly the worse it gets. You have done amazing by even coming on here and speaking about it as I guarantee 💯 that a lot will be watching from afar and not have the courage to speak. As daft as it sounds do whatever gives you that spark even if it's for a few mins or if you not sure what that is please don't give up until you find it. You are always welcome as is anyone else to message privately. I am in no means an expert just been through it myself and its lonely and what works for one person will not work for another as everyone is different. Stay safe all.

Ahhh mate so sorry am asleep canny early sorry so just saw this. Have you been to see anybody about this cos the longer you put things off honestly the worse it gets. You have done amazing by even coming on here and speaking about it as I guarantee 💯 that a lot will be watching from afar and not have the courage to speak. As daft as it sounds do whatever gives you that spark even if it's for a few mins or if you not sure what that is please don't give up until you find it. You are always welcome as is anyone else to message privately. I am in no means an expert just been through it myself and its lonely and what works for one person will not work for another as everyone is different. Stay safe all.

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the late response, really kind words.

I am not feeling great tbh, this is not my first rodeo on this type of thing, but always dealt with it.

Can I ask a practical question, like anti anxiety meds, do they actually work, and what are the down sides of them?

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the late response, really kind words.

I am not feeling great tbh, this is not my first rodeo on this type of thing, but always dealt with it.

Can I ask a practical question, like anti anxiety meds, do they actually work, and what are the down sides of them?
No problem whatsoever mate and I just felt that they were just making me numb but maybe because I was drinking as well. But by all means give them a try if you get them offered because like I said just because it didn't work for me does not mean it won't for you. How are you today ?

I’m all over the place at the moment like, still not working, supposed to have a job with a nearby bank but they’re demanding to see the letter I was given when I was dismissed from my last job. The manager who wrote it threw me under the bus and worded it in a way to make it sound far worse than it was.

I’m now convinced they’re not going to take me on. Add to the fact I’ve got no savings left now, the bairn is struggling at school and has just had an autism diagnosis, I’m struggling to keep it together to be honest. Don’t see a way where this is going to get better.

I was in a really dark place in March and didn't want to be alive anymore. Wouldn't have done anything, just had the thoughts. I thought I was starting to improve but after a load of difficult things that have happened this week, I feel really down again.

I’m all over the place at the moment like, still not working, supposed to have a job with a nearby bank but they’re demanding to see the letter I was given when I was dismissed from my last job. The manager who wrote it threw me under the bus and worded it in a way to make it sound far worse than it was.

I’m now convinced they’re not going to take me on. Add to the fact I’ve got no savings left now, the bairn is struggling at school and has just had an autism diagnosis, I’m struggling to keep it together to be honest. Don’t see a way where this is going to get better.
If you put your side of it to the new employer no reason why they wouldn’t come down on your side if they’re an employer worth their salt.

To answer your specific question, you need to be aware there are two diagnostic categories that that mental health professionals work with and use for diagnosing. One is the DSM 5(Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) and the other is NICE 11 (National Institute For Health and Care and Excellence). They are similar but still different in some ways. Psychiatrists generally use the NICE guidance in the UK and American Psychiatrists the DSM categories. As far as comorbidity (occurring together) is concerned, it means the following in the USA:

'In mental health, one of the more common comorbidities is that of depression and anxiety. Some estimates show that 60% of those with anxiety will also have symptoms of depression, and the numbers are similar for those with depression also experiencing anxiety.'

In the UK we refer often refer to NICE for facts and figures as well as treatment guidelines. It says the following 'More than half of people aged 16 to 64 years who meet the diagnostic criteria for at least 1 common mental health disorder experience comorbid anxiety and depressive disorders.

Specific criteria are used for diagnostic purposes of all mental health disorders. In NICE there is indeed a category for diagnosing anxiety and depression (6A73) which is as follows:

Description
Mixed depressive and anxiety disorder is characterised by symptoms of both anxiety and depression more days than not for a period of two weeks or more. Depressive symptoms include depressed mood or markedly diminished interest or pleasure in activities. There are multiple anxiety symptoms, which may include feeling nervous, anxious, or on edge, not being able to control worrying thoughts, fear that something awful will happen, having trouble relaxing, muscle tension, or sympathetic autonomic symptoms. Neither set of symptoms, considered separately, is sufficiently severe, numerous, or persistent to justify a diagnosis of another depressive disorder or an anxiety or fear-related disorder. The symptoms result in significant distress or significant impairment in personal, family, social, educational, occupational or other important areas of functioning. There is no history of manic or mixed episodes, which would indicate the presence of a bipolar disorder.

If you put your side of it to the new employer no reason why they wouldn’t come down on your side if they’re an employer worth their salt.

Nearby large bank beginning with the letter B are taking the absolute piss out of me. And today they’ve told me they’re postponing my start date indefinitely as they haven’t been able to complete initial screening. This despite me giving them everything they asked for.

So either they haven’t been able to get references or they don’t actually have any vacancies and they’re just banking me.

I’m starting to get desperate now like. This is the price to pay for being honest and open with my last employer I suppose.

Was doing well up until this weekend. My wife had a GP appointment about some irregular bleeding and they’ve referred her as a precaution. Can’t stop thinking about losing her / how I’d cope.

Anyone been on escitalopram? The GP's put me on a batch of that this afternoon. I quit the sertraline last year after a few years on it, they'd stopped working by then.

I definitely underscored myself on that questionnaire they give you which is annoying me a bit now.

Feel like I’m slowing crawling out of this. It’s a bloody long road and it is full of ups and downs. Considering before Xmas there was a time when I thought that there was no way out and that I had two choices: end my life or try and live with these thoughts and feelings forever. I can tell anyone who is struggling that there is a way out and when I do feel like I’ve fully recovered I plan on doing a big thread on here detailing everything I’ve been through and how I’ve got out of it.

One thing I will say though is that no matter how bad you feel you must try to live to your life as if you had no anxiety whatsoever. I know it is hard and there were days when my alarm went off at 5:30 that every cell in my body was screaming at me to stay in bed all day but I dragged my arse out of bed and went to work anyway, even though I knew I was going to feel dreadful for the next 9 hours. By doing this over and over you are retraining your brain and telling it there is nothing to be anxious about. Getting out and about and going about your life is also a great way to get your mind off how you are feeling.

It has taken many months but very slowly and gradually the anxiety is reducing. The more normal living I pack in the better I feel. The more my thoughts naturally drift to thinking about footy or cricket instead of whatever I’m supposed to be anxious about.

Everyone can recover from anxiety. One great resource I used when I was really down in the dumps was anxietynomore.co.uk there is a tonne of great free content on there from a bloke who has been to the very pits of this condition and came out the other side.

Much love to you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back