Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm in a very weird funk right now. I made some important decisions in the last couple of weeks. I've taken decisive action at work and am in the middle of a transition to a different role that is less stressful and allows me to focus more on my mental health. I felt relieved for a few hours but now I just feel empty.

In general I'm struggling to have enthusiasm for anything. I'm not sleeping well and struggle to get out of bed on a morning. If I'm having a good day i shower and might get up to half an hour fresh air. On a bad day, I just sit around in a brain fog all day and wonder how things will ever change.

It's not that I don't understand what I need to do and what habits I need to create to give myself the best opportunity for better health, its just that I feel so exhausted and lacking in energy that I feel unable to physically get through the day.
I think sometimes by taking positive action you think that you should feel much better straightaway and be able to get on with things. In fact it can take quite a bit longer. Finally admitting to yourself and others how bad things have got and doing something about it is a step towards recovery, but also an acknowedgment that you are feeling pretty terrible.

I think sometimes by taking positive action you think that you should feel much better straightaway and be able to get on with things. In fact it can take quite a bit longer. Finally admitting to yourself and others how bad things have got and doing something about it is a step towards recovery, but also an acknowedgment that you are feeling pretty terrible.
You need written, visible evidence of improvement . The depressed brain will just look at where you think you have got to in a month and minimise and rubbish it, forgetting about 80% of the little victories you had if you haven't got evidence . It's what a depressed brain does.

I'm in a very weird funk right now. I made some important decisions in the last couple of weeks. I've taken decisive action at work and am in the middle of a transition to a different role that is less stressful and allows me to focus more on my mental health. I felt relieved for a few hours but now I just feel empty.

In general I'm struggling to have enthusiasm for anything. I'm not sleeping well and struggle to get out of bed on a morning. If I'm having a good day i shower and might get up to half an hour fresh air. On a bad day, I just sit around in a brain fog all day and wonder how things will ever change.

It's not that I don't understand what I need to do and what habits I need to create to give myself the best opportunity for better health, its just that I feel so exhausted and lacking in energy that I feel unable to physically get through the day.
pick one thing each day - even the smallest thing to achieve...
How's your diet and hydration ? Are you relying on caffeine/alcohol at all ?
It's all about little steps forward....each one is a mini victory against this twat of a condition affecting your brain chemicals.... keep the faith x

Agree with what's been said. Make a plan and do baby steps.

Tidy a drawer up that's been niggling you for ages and celebrate like you're lifting the World Cup. Sounds daft but praise yourself and celebrate every tiny thing you do as you were able to fight this and do that task and that deserves recognition.

Agree with what's been said. Make a plan and do baby steps.

Tidy a drawer up that's been niggling you for ages and celebrate like you're lifting the World Cup. Sounds daft but praise yourself and celebrate every tiny thing you do as you were able to fight this and do that task and that deserves recognition.
The trick is to contextualise the value of what you do clearly against what you are up against mentally . It's easy to change the bed when you're on top , hard to even get out of it when you're not. Always say " I did great considering "

PMDD has been mentioned before on here. It's what was making me poorly until I had surgery last year and I know some others have mentioned it on behalf of females in their lives. This video is a really good explanation of what it's like living with it.

I broke my 6 month isolation yesterday when I decided to go and stay with my parents for a little while. I feel so completely out of place. They're pretty much done with social distancing now and though it's a risk to me, they only see a few family members and I decided the risk of being alone much longer was worse. But I feel very uncomfortable just being here. I saw several relatives yesterday, all happy to see me and I engaged in conversation and jokes over a couple of beers but I was just covering my awkwardness. I'm not myself at all right now, it all feels like such an effort to even put on an illusion of normality. I only slept for about an hour last night. I'm so tired today but I'm just so tired of being the way that I am in general.

I broke my 6 month isolation yesterday when I decided to go and stay with my parents for a little while. I feel so completely out of place. They're pretty much done with social distancing now and though it's a risk to me, they only see a few family members and I decided the risk of being alone much longer was worse. But I feel very uncomfortable just being here. I saw several relatives yesterday, all happy to see me and I engaged in conversation and jokes over a couple of beers but I was just covering my awkwardness. I'm not myself at all right now, it all feels like such an effort to even put on an illusion of normality. I only slept for about an hour last night. I'm so tired today but I'm just so tired of being the way that I am in general.

Baby steps. It's weird going outside again and there's still that anxiousness and fear as the virus is still amongst us.

I went to Morrisons for the first time since March on Friday night as I knew it would be quiet then. It's a store I'm usually in 2-3 times a week for work so very familiar. I just got this weird feeling of dread when I was driving towards the car park and felt like bursting into tears. Managed it but didn't feel comfortable so will keep doing online deliveries for the bulk of our shopping.

Look after yourself mate 😘

Been about 15 pages since I posted on here, so let's call that a massive positive tbh.

But I'm having a really weird day. Aside from dropping the eldest off at school, I've had an almost unheard of day off to myself. No DIY to do, no work, nothing.
And all its been is anxiety that its going to end at 5pm when everyone gets back in. I even snapped at my wife when she got home.
For some reason, 1 day of what I want is worse than none, because I know its going to end all too soon. I basically wasted it too. Of course I did.

Does that make any sense at all?

Doesn't help I've had a cough for 4 weeks (not covid, medical condition that gives me "aspiration pneumonia") and also got a cold on top of it (not covid, just the sore throat and blocked-or-runny nose that all the kids passed around when they went back to school).

Been about 15 pages since I posted on here, so let's call that a massive positive tbh.

But I'm having a really weird day. Aside from dropping the eldest off at school, I've had an almost unheard of day off to myself. No DIY to do, no work, nothing.
And all its been is anxiety that its going to end at 5pm when everyone gets back in. I even snapped at my wife when she got home.
For some reason, 1 day of what I want is worse than none, because I know its going to end all too soon. I basically wasted it too. Of course I did.

Doesn't help I've had a cough for 4 weeks (not covid, medical condition that gives me "aspiration pneumonia") and also got a cold on top of it (not covid, just the sore throat and blocked-or-runny nose that all the kids passed around when they went back to school).

Are you me?🤣

Im exactly the same. If I get a rare day to myself I end up grumpy after.. I think its because your brain cant adjust to the difference between peace and chaos that quick.

Ive also got a filthy cold too.

Paul Santini on YouTube and yoga with Tim on YouTube - the lockdown challenge, easy at first and lifts that heavy head

I had been looking forward to my son starting nursery for months as it means when I'm on lateshift I'll have loads of time to myself to get stuff done that I struggle to while the kids are around. Anyway it was his first week last week and I spent the full week either angry or sad for no reason and as a result all the time to myself was wasted. I didn't do any of the jobs I had planned or enjoy relaxing because I was just full of hell all week.

Are you me?🤣

Im exactly the same. If I get a rare day to myself I end up grumpy after.. I think its because your brain cant adjust to the difference between peace and chaos that quick.

Ive also got a filthy cold too.
I get 2 days of "peace" a week like this, but I'm "at work - at home", which isn't all that busy to be entirely honest

My wife just said "I thought you'd have had a wonderful day". Its exactly what I'd love to have periodically, but something about it being 8hrs long and then never again made it feel like bottled anxiety.
I had been looking forward to my son starting nursery for months as it means when I'm on lateshift I'll have loads of time to myself to get stuff done that I struggle to while the kids are around. Anyway it was his first week last week and I spent the full week either angry or sad for no reason and as a result all the time to myself was wasted. I didn't do any of the jobs I had planned or enjoy relaxing because I was just full of hell all week.
Its nice to know I'm not a total f***ing wierdo! Thanks

Makes absolute sense. I crave being on my own for a day and then when it happens I am fidgety and just watch the time ebb away while watching shitty reruns on sky sports feeling pointless. I crave free time but I just fester when I get it.

Makes absolute sense. I crave being on my own for a day and then when it happens I am fidgety and just watch the time ebb away while watching shitty reruns on sky sports feeling pointless. I crave free time but I just fester when I get it.
Try setting yourself a little challenge to get done next time. Nothing complicated, just a little task that you can easily do and look back on with a sense of accomplishment.

Make sure you have whatever is needed in terms of tools and materials ahead of the day so you’re not frustrated running around trying to get something daft which prevents you from completing the task.

I get 2 days of "peace" a week like this, but I'm "at work - at home", which isn't all that busy to be entirely honest

My wife just said "I thought you'd have had a wonderful day". Its exactly what I'd love to have periodically, but something about it being 8hrs long and then never again made it feel like bottled anxiety.

Its nice to know I'm not a total f***ing wierdo! Thanks

Yep im pleased you shared. I always fall into the trap of thinking "im just weird, nobody else will be like this" when really we're all just human and basically act very similar.

Well I gave up drinking (haven't had one for 11 days now) and I had my first appointment with my CPN over the phone today so 2 positive things to report I guess.
I'm in physical pain though as I can't sit comfortably on my sofa or on my stool so I'm a bit irritable. I've check my temperature, heart rate and oxygen levels - all of which are fine (but I'm still unnerved by the pain in my back).
Much love to you all with similar struggles, I'm still stressed but I'm still here xxx

Well I gave up drinking (haven't had one for 11 days now) and I had my first appointment with my CPN over the phone today so 2 positive things to report I guess.
I'm in physical pain though as I can't sit comfortably on my sofa or on my stool so I'm a bit irritable. I've check my temperature, heart rate and oxygen levels - all of which are fine (but I'm still unnerved by the pain in my back).
Much love to you all with similar struggles, I'm still stressed but I'm still here xxx
I've failed miserably with my cutting out the drink. Well done for your efforts so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back