Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this little tip will sound a bit left field, but it came from a therapist that I know rather than used, so I can vouch for her.

If you're about to so something that's stressful or induces panic or anxiety, try to find an aroma you really like, and inhale it.

It could be anything, such as a particular fragrance or the smell of bacon in the frying pan, whatever floats your boat.

After a while, your brain associates things causing your discomfort with the aroma that you really like, and your body subconsciously relaxes.

I don't know how successful it is, but it's definitely a positive action to consider, and I do know of one person that it's really worked for.
That could go two ways and you could become scared of bacon .nightmare :(

Keep battling lads and lasses. Talking is the first step and it does get better imo
This 100%, the other day I had a really bad day, got drunk and posted on here, just when I hit my lowest point I had messages of support from the good people on here that got me through the night, a special mention to becs who was the right person at the right time for me, for the first time ever I told someone my darkest things, it was like a weight lifted from my chest, my world didn't end telling someone, talking really did help.

I have a very long way to go, chickened out from the doctors again and also chickened out telling my wife some of the things I shared with @becs but small steps, going to have good and bad days but just knowing I have people here keeps me going and I know if I hit rock bottom again with no one to turn too I can reach out here for help.

amazing people the lot of you!

Try my best to avoid this thread cause people don't want to hear about my misery but I'm feeling as low as I have in my life lately. Not really sure why. Yesterday when my ex picked my son up and I was in work alone with my thoughts I had serious and pretty worrying thoughts about killing myself. I spoke to a good friend about it who's coming round to see me this morning and I'm going back to the doctor's. Would literally give my right arm to be normal, I have a great life all except for my mental health which I have to say pretty much ruins any kind of life I have. I need to get back on my tablets asap.

Try my best to avoid this thread cause people don't want to hear about my misery but I'm feeling as low as I have in my life lately. Not really sure why. Yesterday when my ex picked my son up and I was in work alone with my thoughts I had serious and pretty worrying thoughts about killing myself. I spoke to a good friend about it who's coming round to see me this morning and I'm going back to the doctor's. Would literally give my right arm to be normal, I have a great life all except for my mental health which I have to say pretty much ruins any kind of life I have. I need to get back on my tablets asap.
You've got a good handle on it Jo by the sounds. It will come right again you know it does but it's just a ball ache going through the process . See if you can learn what things brought it back on or made you vulnerable this time and build them into a future maintainance management plan. It's all about learning .

You've got a good handle on it Jo by the sounds. It will come right again you know it does but it's just a ball ache going through the process . See if you can learn what things brought it back on or made you vulnerable this time and build them into a future maintainance management plan. It's all about learning .
Yeah I've lived with it alone all my life, have chats with the odd person but very rarely. Not even sure why I posted in here at all really, just wanted to open up, can't remember the last time I felt as low as I do now. I'll be ok in a week or so but it's just brutal at times. Got to go to work now and all I want to do is lie down, shut my eyes and never wake up again.

Yeah I've lived with it alone all my life, have chats with the odd person but very rarely. Not even sure why I posted in here at all really, just wanted to open up, can't remember the last time I felt as low as I do now. I'll be ok in a week or so but it's just brutal at times. Got to go to work now and all I want to do is lie down, shut my eyes and never wake up again.
You can get through the next few days, think how soon you'll have your son back. There'll be happy times ahead. From what you've said on another thread it sounds like you really need something to fill the gap when you haven't got your son. Might not be right for you but I've just got into mountain biking. As well as the exercise I have to plan what route I'm doing and Ive got an exercise bike at home to make me fitter for the rides. All good for my head

You can get through the next few days, think how soon you'll have your son back. There'll be happy times ahead. From what you've said on another thread it sounds like you really need something to fill the gap when you haven't got your son. Might not be right for you but I've just got into mountain biking. As well as the exercise I have to plan what route I'm doing and Ive got an exercise bike at home to make me fitter for the rides. All good for my head
Yeah exercise is key. Just need to get today out the way, get back on my tablets and get my running trainers on.

You had talking therapy Jo, sounds like it would be useful to you, get some of this stuff on the top so you can deal with it .
It's a hard thing to feel separation, it hurts but it needn't trigger continual depression once we can accept the hurts normal and carry it.

You had talking therapy Jo, sounds like it would be useful to you, get some of this stuff on the top so you can deal with it .
It's a hard thing to feel separation, it hurts but it needn't trigger continual depression once we can accept the hurts normal and carry it.
I've done all that and the only thing that ever works is tablets, then I think I'm cured, come off them and months later it hits me like a ton of bricks. I was actually scared for myself yesterday and I'm so relieved I woke up today and I hadn't done anything silly. Today's a new dawning again.

Enjoy your time with your friend today @Slow joe and definitely find your running trainers. It does help.

Have you thought about a running coach app? If you schedule workouts when you haven't got your son, that would fill the time in, give you a challenge to work towards and you get the buzz from the actual exercise.

Look after yourself mate and use this thread as much as you need to xx

I've done all that and the only thing that ever works is tablets, then I think I'm cured, come off them and months later it hits me like a ton of bricks. I was actually scared for myself yesterday and I'm so relieved I woke up today and I hadn't done anything silly. Today's a new dawning again.
Good lad , put the blip behind you and crack on with what you know works then mate.

Some help on working on what causes the recurrence might still be useful though at some point. 8 week mindfulness course is highly recommended and if you live in the TEWV health authority area they have a free programme .

Enjoy your time with your friend today @Slow joe and definitely find your running trainers. It does help.

Have you thought about a running coach app? If you schedule workouts when you haven't got your son, that would fill the time in, give you a challenge to work towards and you get the buzz from the actual exercise.

Look after yourself mate and use this thread as much as you need to xx
It's exactly what I need to do to be honest. I can't stop shaking at the minute, just need to speak to my doctor asap and start the road again.

It's exactly what I need to do to be honest. I can't stop shaking at the minute, just need to speak to my doctor asap and start the road again.
Sending you a big hug Joe. Help is out there so you are doing the right thing going back to your GP. I dont know what tablets you were taking, but I've got experience of being on Citalopram. I was on them for a while, felt better, stopped taking them, had the biggest relapse, ended up back at square one. Went back to the GP and have been on them ever since. They make me feel better so I will probably be on them for life. But I'm cool with that.

Try to stay strong, the low mood will pass. Its a cliche, but there is always light at the end of a tunnel. 😊

Sending you a big hug Joe. Help is out there so you are doing the right thing going back to your GP. I dont know what tablets you were taking, but I've got experience of being on Citalopram. I was on them for a while, felt better, stopped taking them, had the biggest relapse, ended up back at square one. Went back to the GP and have been on them ever since. They make me feel better so I will probably be on them for life. But I'm cool with that.

Try to stay strong, the low mood will pass. Its a cliche, but there is always light at the end of a tunnel. 😊
I've been on citalopram for ages, with the odd bout off them, and subsequent relapse. Wouldn't surprise me off I'm a lifer too

I'm by no means an expert, but there's no reason to stop taking tablets if you need them. I came off mine in December, and my doc said that I could go back on at any time, and if I need them forever, then that's fine too.
Sometimes I think we try to make things harder than they need to be.

Get to the docs asap, and talk to someone about it, please.

I'm by no means an expert, but there's no reason to stop taking tablets if you need them. I came off mine in December, and my doc said that I could go back on at any time, and if I need them forever, then that's fine too.
Sometimes I think we try to make things harder than they need to be.

Get to the docs asap, and talk to someone about it, please.

From another point of view, I’ve been taking medication for over 15 years now and I’m now trying to come off them. Causing more issues than it’s worth with the side effects.

Granted I take mine more for anxiety that depression but I felt with my problems I never really faced them properly as I’ve been zombied up off the meds for that long.

Obviously everyone’s different but I don’t believe medication is the answer.

From another point of view, I’ve been taking medication for over 15 years now and I’m now trying to come off them. Causing more issues than it’s worth with the side effects.

Granted I take mine more for anxiety that depression but I felt with my problems I never really faced them properly as I’ve been zombied up off the meds for that long.

Obviously everyone’s different but I don’t believe medication is the answer.
Do you mind if I ask what issues you've had with the meds? Although I'm okay ish about my long term use I wouldn't mind hearing other people's experiences of it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back