Depression

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the fact that I've been thinking "how will I do this", kinda proves that alcohol is really deeply imbedded in who I am. I don't think that's a good situation to be in.
I've got one gig planned (overnight job) and a stag do (another overnight job) in the first few months of this year - I do wonder if I could manage both without drinking. I can't see how right now though, which again, is a worry. I'm not sure how well I'd be able to "drink moderately".
Shit, when I put it like that, it sounds really bad, doesn't it?

One other thing - has anyone on here come off Prozac? (Fluoxitine)?
I stopped around 20th December, but for the last 4 days, I'm really dizzy and sickly. I honestly thought it was a 4 day hangover from the drink on NYD, but now I'm thinking that a bit far-fetched.
I did some reading earlier, and apparently withdrawal happens when the drugs are around 90% out of your system. For Prozac, that's about 20 days. Which is about now-ish for me.

I've been having dizzy / hazy feeling for months, and I was hoping that getting off these pills would solve that. I knew I could have side effects coming off, but I'm just a bit confused as to what the fuck is happening :(

Aren't they just!

I find it hard to drink moderately when out. I always start with the intention of spreading 4 or 5 pints out over the day but usually end up doing that in about 2 hours before slowing down. It sounds daft but even with my mates I've known for years I am shy and a few pints gets the conversation going.

Taken a bad turn over the past few days & I'm working from home as I just couldn't face the commute on waking. I had a really shitty 2019 (work/relationships) and I've just been ruminating on that I suppose. Hoping to get up early tomorrow and fit a gym session in.

I find it hard to drink moderately when out. I always start with the intention of spreading 4 or 5 pints out over the day but usually end up doing that in about 2 hours before slowing down. It sounds daft but even with my mates I've known for years I am shy and a few pints gets the conversation going.

Have you been diagnosed with social anxiety/phobia? You may have that if you feel aloof even amongst friends and family. I was diagnosed with it a few years ago and I can handle it a bit better now. Drink doesn't do any good in the long term it's just a self defeating cycle.

Taken a bad turn over the past few days & I'm working from home as I just couldn't face the commute on waking. I had a really shitty 2019 (work/relationships) and I've just been ruminating on that I suppose. Hoping to get up early tomorrow and fit a gym session in.

Have you been diagnosed with social anxiety/phobia? You may have that if you feel aloof even amongst friends and family. I was diagnosed with it a few years ago and I can handle it a bit better now. Drink doesn't do any good in the long term it's just a self defeating cycle.
I've never been diagnosed with anything. Only been to the doctors once to talk about this and that was a long time ago. I worry about the side effects of medication so want to avoid them if I can.

I stick my head in here occasionally and realise there are posters here that I am a bit of a dick to in replying to their posts that I disagree on other threads. New years resolution for me is to stop being a dickhead on here.

me too, some are just angry at their situation, I know how that can feel...everyone does.
I've never been diagnosed with anything. Only been to the doctors once to talk about this and that was a long time ago. I worry about the side effects of medication so want to avoid them if I can.

that's social anxiety and it is crippling - had it years - comes and goes - I have learned not to go out when feeling the need to be half cut before I see anyone.

Last edited:
me too, some are just angry at their situation, I know how that can feel...everyone does.

that's social anxiety and it is crippling - had it years - comes and goes - I have learned not to go out when feeling the need to be half cut before I see anyone.
I don't go out drinking often. I think it was only 4 times I went out the whole of last year so I don't want to stop altogether. Just wish I could chat with people normally without having to loosen up first. It's a weird feeling.

Strange strange week

This fluoxetine withdrawal is kicking my arse all over the shop. Went to Aldi last night, and as soon as the lights hit me, I felt absolutely pissed off my face. People giving me funny looks - I must have looked like a fat smack head, which I'm sure confused at least a few people, as there's no such thing!

Seems to be ok until I get a bit tired, then it kicks in. really don't feel safe driving at the moment. Hope this doesn't last too long, as I'm stuck working from home yet again and its starting to get a bit tedious talking to my manager about it.
I don't go out drinking often. I think it was only 4 times I went out the whole of last year so I don't want to stop altogether. Just wish I could chat with people normally without having to loosen up first. It's a weird feeling.
Are these good friends, or just "mates"?

Strange strange week

This fluoxetine withdrawal is kicking my arse all over the shop. Went to Aldi last night, and as soon as the lights hit me, I felt absolutely pissed off my face. People giving me funny looks - I must have looked like a fat smack head, which I'm sure confused at least a few people, as there's no such thing!

Seems to be ok until I get a bit tired, then it kicks in. really don't feel safe driving at the moment. Hope this doesn't last too long, as I'm stuck working from home yet again and its starting to get a bit tedious talking to my manager about it.

Are these good friends, or just "mates"?

My 2 best mates. One I've know since I was 4 and the other since about 12. So we've grew up together and in teens and early 20s were out most weekends. 2 of us have kids now and the other lives in Aberdeen so is only home half a dozen weekends a year. It seems the less I see them the weirder it gets. I know it's all in my head because once I relax I'm fine. It's just that first hour or so where I can't think of anything to say.

Another thing to note is that although I love being a dad the pressure gets to me and is part of my problem. I'm always worried about letting them down and if I make a bad parenting decision I let it eat me up for days.

Edit: wrong account, oops
Not that I think people don't know who I am anyway, of course. Its just nice to keep things separate.

My 2 best mates. One I've know since I was 4 and the other since about 12. So we've grew up together and in teens and early 20s were out most weekends. 2 of us have kids now and the other lives in Aberdeen so is only home half a dozen weekends a year. It seems the less I see them the weirder it gets. I know it's all in my head because once I relax I'm fine. It's just that first hour or so where I can't think of anything to say.

Another thing to note is that although I love being a dad the pressure gets to me and is part of my problem. I'm always worried about letting them down and if I make a bad parenting decision I let it eat me up for days.
2 of my 3 best friends both live away. Its really hard as the years pass, to think of things to talk about other than thinking about the past. Its really awkward at times.

You don't have to tell me how hard parenting is :)

2 of my 3 best friends both live away. Its really hard as the years pass, to think of things to talk about other than thinking about the past. Its really awkward at times.

You don't have to tell me how hard parenting is :)

Yeah mate. Seems like when we meet conversation always turns to stories of what we used to get upto 15 years ago. I do miss just being able to text the lads on an hours notice asking if they fancy a pint. It's like a military operation getting together now.

I'm gonna hoy this in here before I go to the docs Tomorrow, before xmas my forehead felt like someone had it in a vice, I mentioned it to our lass (no) and just plowed through it and it went away only for me to wake up yesterday with a splitting headache running up the sides of my neck to my head it feels like I have whip lash minus the physical accident.
It's still here this morning. Now I dont usually get headaches other than the ones where I'm hanging out of my arse after a sesh...
My question is has anyone else on here suffered with this for more than 24 hours if so will the docs do owt but prescribe the standard pain killing medication..coz I'm not particularly keen on just hoying tablets down my neck for the sake of it...cheers

I'm gonna hoy this in here before I go to the docs Tomorrow, before xmas my forehead felt like someone had it in a vice, I mentioned it to our lass (no) and just plowed through it and it went away only for me to wake up yesterday with a splitting headache running up the sides of my neck to my head it feels like I have whip lash minus the physical accident.
It's still here this morning. Now I dont usually get headaches other than the ones where I'm hanging out of my arse after a
It's still here this morning. Now I dont usually get headaches other than the ones where I'm hanging out of my arse after a sesh...
My question is has anyone else on here suffered with this for more than 24 hours if so will the docs do owt but prescribe the standard pain killing medication..coz I'm not particularly keen on just hoying tablets down my neck for the sake of it...cheers
I'm sorry I cant help with any suggestions but I hope you can get some answers from the docs. Always best to get things checked out just to be on the safe side. X

Are you stressed about anything? It sounds like a tension headache. I get them occasionally and keep Paramol in the house as that's the only thing that shifts it. Try them at home first though as they have codeine in and make some people drowsy.

Are you stressed about anything? It sounds like a tension headache. I get them occasionally and keep Paramol in the house as that's the only thing that shifts it. Try them at home first though as they have codeine in and make some people drowsy.
Yeah I've been looking at that stress thing could be but nowt out of the ordinary

A relative is suffering from severe anxiety and severe depression and is struggling to get correct treatment through GP so is considering going private and looking for a recommended consultant in the N.E. Can anyone offer any suggestions please?

A relative is suffering from severe anxiety and severe depression and is struggling to get correct treatment through GP so is considering going private and looking for a recommended consultant in the N.E. Can anyone offer any suggestions please?

Have they tried the self referral service? If they pop their details in here:
it will tell them what they can access on the NHS without going through a GP.

I know it's not what you asked for but they may be able to find help there before paying for private treatment. Hope they get sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back