Depression thread continued...

Just been put on Sertraline as I’m in the middle of a massive bout of health anxiety.

Had some muscle twitches - used dr Google and the rest is history. Off work.
I’m on sertraline and have been for Lord, maybe 5 years now . Please keep on with it for a few weeks, the initial side effects should wear off. I had really bad headaches, nausea and generally felt poo then it all cleared. Hopefully that will happen for you too. I hope I read that right? Are you getting muscle twitches with the sertraline? Ee god sorry if I’ve got it wrong!

Last edited:

I’m on sertraline and have been for Lord, maybe 5 years now . Please keep on with it for a few weeks, the initial side effects should wear off. I had really bad headaches, nausea and generally felt poo then it all cleared. Hopefully that will happen for you too. I hope I read that right? Are you getting muscle twitches with the sertraline? Ee god sorry if I’ve got it wrong!
No I had muscle twitches which the GP put down to anxiety. :lol:

Worst side effects I’ve had so far has been my vision going slightly weird and teeth / chin / jawline vibrating :lol:

No I had muscle twitches which the GP put down to anxiety. :lol:

Worst side effects I’ve had so far has been my vision going slightly weird and teeth / chin / jawline vibrating :lol:
Oh! Bugger 😂

Ooh vibrations! That’s one I didn’t have!
Sertraline was a life saver for me, I’m on 50 mg a day now but at one point I was on 200. I hope it works for you, I’m sure it will 😊

Hope all are well and staying on top of things?

I've generally been ok the last couple months but I'm having a huge 'episode' at the mo...

It's definitely been brought on by the fact my 4 yr (nearly 5) old daughter appears to be getting psychologically bullied and castigated at school. She's a happy little thing and very gentile in nature but I can tell she is really struggling. She used to be really enthusiastic about going to school but she's dragging her heels more and more and her mood has recently started to change. I think it's making her anxious. She's having to sit on her own in the yard during playtimes etc as there's a ringleader telling all the other kids not to play with her and generally being mean. She's an only child and doesn't have a brother or sister to bounce off and build that resilience so I'm really worried her confidence is going to take a knock. She's relayed a couple of stories about one of the girls taking stuff from her etc... I know it's just kids and it's what they (well, some of them) do but It's knocked me for six.

Thoroughly depressing....it's actually really getting me down. Can't stop thinking about her sitting on her own, scared to join in with anything for for of being rejected 😥

I know Mumsnet this sh*t

I’d be straight in having words like. They might be young kids who don’t know any better but doesn’t mean nothing can be done about it.
We've written to the school today. Lets see if they engage with us on the matter. I know of the little girl who is the ring leader...I shouldn't say but I will: The mother is a right opinionated, know all gobshite (just from what I've picked up from the school run) so I can see where it's coming from...

Hope all are well and staying on top of things?

I've generally been ok the last couple months but I'm having a huge 'episode' at the mo...

It's definitely been brought on by the fact my 4 yr (nearly 5) old daughter appears to be getting psychologically bullied and castigated at school. She's a happy little thing and very gentile in nature but I can tell she is really struggling. She used to be really enthusiastic about going to school but she's dragging her heels more and more and her mood has recently started to change. I think it's making her anxious. She's having to sit on her own in the yard during playtimes etc as there's a ringleader telling all the other kids not to play with her and generally being mean. She's an only child and doesn't have a brother or sister to bounce off and build that resilience so I'm really worried her confidence is going to take a knock. She's relayed a couple of stories about one of the girls taking stuff from her etc... I know it's just kids and it's what they (well, some of them) do but It's knocked me for six.

Thoroughly depressing....it's actually really getting me down. Can't stop thinking about her sitting on her own, scared to join in with anything for for of being rejected 😥

I know Mumsnet this sh*t

Poor bairn 🙁

Have you spoken to the teacher? They might be able to sort something out discreetly.

It's crap the way bairns hunt in gangs and ostracise others like. I find girls tend to be worse at it than boys. You have my sympathies.

Edit: cross posted and just read update! Hope school do something.

Last edited:
Oh! Bugger 😂

Ooh vibrations! That’s one I didn’t have!
Sertraline was a life saver for me, I’m on 50 mg a day now but at one point I was on 200. I hope it works for you, I’m sure it will 😊

I just stopped taking it. I found it lulled me into making some bizarre decisions. I'd been on it for years and just decided it was time to call it quits.

I basically seemed to just give me carte blanche to do what I wanted without worrying about the outcome.

I was buying all sorts of stuff I couldn't afford .... Musical instruments, rare books, rare vinyl, etc.

Poor bairn 🙁

Have you spoken to the teacher? They might be able to sort something out discreetly.

It's crap the way bairns hunt in gangs and ostracise others like. I find girls tend to be worse at it than boys. You have my sympathies.

Thanks Becs.

We were at a kids birthday party at the weekend and you could see the dynamic there....
Poor bairn 🙁

The teachers are generally good and they have commented on the bairns gentle, shy nature in the parent teacher meetings.
It's breaking my heart that she's unhappy.

Probably awakening old memories as I didn't have the best of times in early years school. 😥

I just stopped taking it. I found it lulled me into making some bizarre decisions. I'd been on it for years and just decided it was time to call it quits.

I basically seemed to just give me carte blanche to do what I wanted without worrying about the outcome.

I was buying all sorts of stuff I couldn't afford .... Musical instruments, rare books, rare vinyl, etc.
Flipping heck. All it does for me is lift my mood a little so I’m not standing over that abyss like I was at my worst. I did feel like it numbed everything at the beginning for want of a better word but just in that I felt a bit detached nothing else.

Thanks Becs.

We were at a kids birthday party at the weekend and you could see the dynamic there....

The teachers are generally good and they have commented on the bairns gentle, shy nature in the parent teacher meetings.
It's breaking my heart that she's unhappy.

Probably awakening old memories as I didn't have the best of times in early years school. 😥

Sorry to hear you had some bad times too.

Do either of you do the school run in person? I found if you were polite and had a friendly quick word with the teacher it was more effective than writing in. Partly because the teacher is more aware having spoken to you face to face, rather than briefly reading a letter then getting on with other things. Partly as it can make the mischievous ones think about their behaviour if they think that you're having a word about them! Best of luck xx

Flipping heck. All it does for me is lift my mood a little so I’m not standing over that abyss like I was at my worst. I did feel like it numbed everything at the beginning for want of a better word but just in that I felt a bit detached nothing else.

It was fine for me for ages. I do find I'm struggling a bit without taking it...I'm definitely more anxious, but the inability to make rational decisions scared me enough to stop.

Hopefully it just keeps going ok for you.

Anxiety is awful. I can't deal with social situations (whereas I used to be quite confident). Now, unless it's people I'm really ok with I just avoid meeting up.

I didn't get on with sertraline like! It gave me horrendous headaches. One came on so bad when I was driving on the A1 and I felt sick and dizzy. I had to pull off at Washington services and spent about an hour laying on the back seat till it passed.

I've had reactions to numerous meds like, so tend not to comment as I know I'm an anomaly!

I didn't get on with sertraline like! It gave me horrendous headaches. One came on so bad when I was driving on the A1 and I felt sick and dizzy. I had to pull off at Washington services and spent about an hour laying on the back seat till it passed.

I've had reactions to numerous meds like, so tend not to comment as I know I'm an anomaly!
Been reading about side effects of SSRI's and I am terrified of taking them. I know they would probably help atleast in the short term but it seems likes it's not without risk.

It was fine for me for ages. I do find I'm struggling a bit without taking it...I'm definitely more anxious, but the inability to make rational decisions scared me enough to stop.

Hopefully it just keeps going ok for you.

Anxiety is awful. I can't deal with social situations (whereas I used to be quite confident). Now, unless it's people I'm really ok with I just avoid meeting up.
Can you not ask for something else to try or do you not want to? I don’t blame you for stopping ☹️

I have panic attacks, I can honestly say they were ruining my life at one point, I even had a massive one in the middle of a skinny pigs session which was mortifying. I couldn’t go back because in my head i thought it was going to happen again if I did and my anxiety was through the roof. I was so angry at myself because I couldn’t control it, a grown woman. I had to ring my mam so she could calm me down. I take propranolol now if I feel one starting and it’s been a godsend and weirdly I’ve gone from having one every day to maybe one every 2 weeks if not less and I think that’s because I know I can take something to nip it in the bud. I’ve tried all the mind and breathing techniques and they didn’t really help. I just wish I’d been offered that medication sooner because my life was miserable with it at times.
Lord, I’m sorry for the me me me!! 😳☹️

It gave me headaches too but nothing that severe, that’s scary Becs. Have you not thought of taking something else or do you not want to?

Last edited:
Been reading about side effects of SSRI's and I am terrified of taking them. I know they would probably help atleast in the short term but it seems likes it's not without risk.

It's one of them things where you have to weight up if you're willing to take the risk of the side effects or not. Millions of people take all sorts of drugs with no or minor side effects. It's just unfortunate with SSRI's, they tend to raise anxiety etc., as you worry more about getting the side effects than concentrate on the medication actually working.

Millions of women in the world take the contraceptive pill, but that was another one I couldn't take! I was recently put on a bladder tablet and spent Easter Monday in hospital with chest pains caused by that one. It's me man!
It gave me headaches too but nothing that severe, that’s scary Becs. Have you not thought of taking something else or do you not want to?

No I've had reactions to four different ones now. As well as the Sertraline headaches, Amitriptyline made me really nauseous and agitated.

Mirtazapine made me super sleepy. I tried taking it at tea time, but was ready for bed by 7-8pm and still felt "hungover" and groggy the next morning and was struggling with work. I only felt ok for a few hours in the afternoon on that one.

Prozac was the weirdest. After a couple of days, I got really itchy down below and just assumed I was getting thrush. The next day it was bright red and sore, then tiny red spots started spreading out down my thighs and up my torso. By the next morning, the rash was up my chest and past my knees. Turns out that I'm one of the "1 in a really large number will get this" that you see on the side effects leaflet!

I'm a bit scared of them now.

Last edited:
It's one of them things where you have to weight up if you're willing to take the risk of the side effects or not. Millions of people take all sorts of drugs with no or minor side effects. It's just unfortunate with SSRI's, they tend to raise anxiety etc., as you worry more about getting the side effects than concentrate on the medication actually working.

Millions of women in the world take the contraceptive pill, but that was another one I couldn't take! I was recently put on a bladder tablet and spent Easter Monday in hospital with chest pains caused by that one. It's me man!

No I've had reactions to four different ones now. As well as the Sertraline headaches, Amitriptyline made me really nauseous and agitated.

Mirtazapine made me super sleepy. I tried taking it at tea time, but was ready for bed by 7-8pm and still felt "hungover" and groggy the next morning and was struggling with work. I only felt ok for a few hours in the afternoon on that one.

Prozac was the weirdest. After a couple of days, I got really itchy down below and just assumed I was getting thrush. The next day it was bright red and sore, then tiny red spots started spreading out down my thighs and up my torso. By the next morning, the rash was up my chest and past my knees. Turns out that I'm one of the "1 in a really large number will get this" that you see on the side effects leaflet!

I'm a bit scared of them now.
I'm curious how doctors decide which one to give you. Seems like it's all just a bit trial and error.

I'm curious how doctors decide which one to give you. Seems like it's all just a bit trial and error.

Think they have a list to work through. I know for PMDD, there were several steps of treatment I had to follow with different drugs at each stage. I had a copy of the NICE guidelines for that, as I needed to push for treatment at every step.
No better. Worse if anything. Been looking at potential flats/houses and I can't even afford the worst ones. Absolutely dreading my Birthday on Friday and the rest of the weekend.

Sorry to hear that mate. What plans have you got for your birthday and the rest of the weekend?

Last edited:

Back