Dentists.

Dentistry should be free at the point of service like most other things on the NHS.

The NHS should actually employ dentists themselves like they do doctors instead of relying on private practices squeezing a few in when they can. It’s ridiculous that in 2022 large swathes of the population can’t get access to a dentist without going private. We’ve always been known as a nation that doesn’t take oral hygiene very seriously and that doesn’t look like ending anytime soon.

Dentistry should be free at the point of service like most other things on the NHS.

The NHS should actually employ dentists themselves like they do doctors instead of relying on private practices squeezing a few in when they can. It’s ridiculous that in 2022 large swathes of the population can’t get access to a dentist without going private. We’ve always been known as a nation that doesn’t take oral hygiene very seriously and that doesn’t look like ending anytime soon.
Couldn't agree more. I'm fortunate that I have £450 to spend, £300 this week and likely £150 next. Many people don't. Having aching teeth is absolutely no fun at all.

I'm certain that when I was younger all dentists were free on the NHS. I was born in the 60's and I'm sure I remember a hygienist or similar coming around school. I certainly remember the dread of going to the dentist in the 70s and I'm sure my parents didn't pay.

100%. Why are your mouth and teeth treated differently from pretty much every other part of your body?

There will soon be dentists open on every high street and you will be able to book appts like you do hairdressers

Obviously, the prices will be sky high

And there lies the problem. Creeping privatisation (Politics forum this shite but its true).

Not really creeping, private market has been there and growing for years.

The dentists themselves choose to do private work as they get paid a lot more.

Same with doctors and nurses, loads moonlight in the private sector. Not because Tories are forcing them to, because they get paid a lot more.

100%. Why are your mouth and teeth treated differently from pretty much every other part of your body?
And eyes. I always think that's a weird one too. Probably because eyes and teeth require regular attention (or so we have been told, maybe that's because it's semi-private) and the cost would be high if free for everyone. But why not? If they costed it and added what's necessary to taxation there'd be no complaints from me.

Spoke a dentist once at a party and he said that NHS money was only good for getting in the patients to sell private work to.
He was quite traditional and didn't carry on like that but he said that most dentists he knew pushed people into private work as they make more money.

The main con is hygienists, who get referred to after appointments who charge 40/50 quid for what should be covered in your examination anyway.

I know this must have been done before, but what a bunch of robbing twats.

Whilst I'm sure they are all lovely people, there's something not quite right about wanting to do a job where your customers come out in a cold sweat when they see you, you get to hurt them (even with bloody lignocaine or whatever it is) but then get to charge them £300 for the privilege. And I've got to go back next week. I can't wait :rolleyes:

Shocking.
You have the option of cleaning and flossing your teeth of course to avoid this cost

And eyes. I always think that's a weird one too. Probably because eyes and teeth require regular attention (or so we have been told, maybe that's because it's semi-private) and the cost would be high if free for everyone. But why not? If they costed it and added what's necessary to taxation there'd be no complaints from me.
Think free eye tests should be available to all. Opticians pick up on loads of thing early on. The NHS must spend a fortune on stuff that could have been caught early but people won't pay for eye tests. Suppose dentists are the same. Wonder how many people end up with late stage oral cancer when a dentist would pick it up early if we gave free dental check ups.
You have the option of cleaning and flossing your teeth of course to avoid this cost
What about people with say Lupus or Sjrogens syndrome ? All the cleaning and flossing in the world won't stop them needing dental care.

Last edited:
Should all be made to by law, they all qualified through our education systems and got their start via the NHS.

I hadnt realised we live in North Korea ?

A dental student pays for the degree like any other student so should be free to do what they choose.

My best mate was a dentist and the NHS tariff system was a joke - it cost him more in staff and materials to do a root canal on the NHS than he got paid, its no wonder people work privately

My son had a root canal in Canada - 1 tooth - and it cost me $2500 dollars (around 1600quid) so private work in the UK is still nowhere near what it costs in other countries

What about people with say Lupus or Sjrogens syndrome ? All the cleaning and flossing in the world won't stop them needing dental care.
simple stitch their lips up job done

If it knacks teeth dental work should be free really though
We’ll fair point but unlike Bob Mortimer I’m not about to start doing my own dentistry. To start with I don’t own any Fuji 9.
I'd have loved to have watched the mad bastard do that like

Last edited:
Luckily I got seen and referred to the dental hospital just before they went private. I’m getting a crown done there by a student for free. My dentist is now charging £550 for that.
On a separate note, I was in the hospital for 90 minutes getting a root canal last week and I slept through most of it 😂

I know this must have been done before, but what a bunch of robbing twats.

Whilst I'm sure they are all lovely people, there's something not quite right about wanting to do a job where your customers come out in a cold sweat when they see you, you get to hurt them (even with bloody lignocaine or whatever it is) but then get to charge them £300 for the privilege. And I've got to go back next week. I can't wait :rolleyes:

Shocking.
Take your eyes out

Back