Defund the BBC - discuss

The right wing media are always pushing for this. They can't buy the BBC and then use for their own ends, so they want to destroy it.

That alone should tell you it's not a good idea.

However, the Tories have managed to exert a lot of control over the BBC by putting their stooges in key positions.

Emily Maitlis told it as it was when she left.

The right wing media are always pushing for this. They can't buy the BBC and then use for their own ends, so they want to destroy it.

That alone should tell you it's not a good idea.

However, the Tories have managed to exert a lot of control over the BBC by putting their stooges in key positions.

Emily Maitlis told it as it was when she left.
could it not be argued that there were a load of labour "stooges" in there before then, if what you're saying is accurate?

For me, the system doesn't work as it stands. You have people paying for it as required, then you have others who choose not to, but still likely watch it.

It should be a subscription service as others have suggested, that way if people want it, they buy it. As it stands it's pretty much thrown onto us. I have Sky, so if I wanted to scrap the BBC, how could I?

Amazing public service. Long may it last.
I'm happy to pay my licence fee so the bludgers who pretend not to watch can still get the benefit. Give me a sense of enormous wellbeing.
no pretending here. Declared legally license free and stuck to it. And feel more the better for it.

Back