Decent point that

Good point, but a very lucky one - we were garbage second half, and got out of jail with an absolute howler from the keeper.

Of course, not every performance can be good, and you take every point you can get, but we've had very few *good* performances ones under Beale so far.

Which is the concern - it doesn't feel like he's improving us. And if the results aren't especially good, and the football isn't fun to watch (and Christ it isn't), then the scepticism around him will persist.

*This is all with a caveat that, like Mowbray, he's been quite shafted by an increasingly dogmatic recruitment process which seems to stubbornly refuse to sign anybody to help us *now*

Last edited:

That's exactly how I saw it from the opposite point of view.

Disappointed that we dropped two points through a goal that should have been saved easily but a draw was a fair result.

Thought your fans were as good as I've seen them be at our place in a long while for most of the match as well.
But you gained a point from a (cracking) goal from a free kick that even you must admit should have gone the other way.

Swings and roundabouts.

You were by far the better team for that 30 minute spell but, that free kick aside, you didn't really look like scoring.
Which is the concern - it doesn't feel like he's improving us.
He has our strikers scoring more goals than Mowbray managed from them since January of last year. If that isn't improvement...

Last edited:
But you gained a point from a (cracking) goal from a free kick that even you must admit should have gone the other way.

Swings and roundabouts.

You were by far the better team for that 30 minute spell but, that free kick aside, you didn't really look like scoring.

He has our strikers scoring more goals than Mowbray managed from them since January of last year. If that isn't improvement...
Greenwood should have scored when he was clean through at 1-0.

I honestly can't remember the free kick being given and haven't watched it back so cant say either way on that. Similarly though we could have had a penalty in the first half but didn't and from where I was sitting some of the offsides against Greenwood looked debatable. Like you say swings and roundabouts.

Still rather have the odd wrong decision than VAR though.

I honestly can't remember the free kick being given and haven't watched it back so cant say either way on that. Similarly though we could have had a penalty in the first half but didn't and from where I was sitting some of the offsides against Greenwood looked debatable. Like you say swings and roundabouts.

Ba missed two absolute sitters like. :lol:

All of the offsides were correct by replay on Sky. I can understand why it is hard to tell in real time. Agree with you about VAR, it's horrendous.

Not a great performance but a point away at boro ain’t a bad result, although performances have to be lifted a lot more if we are to reach the playoffs as we won’t be so lucky other weeks

Ba missed two absolute sitters like. :lol:
First one isn't a sitter like. He should have had a go with his left. What he really needed was a teammate to make a run for him to square it - they arrived too late. To be fair to Bairstow though, it's him who dropped deep and played the through ball. He makes the run immediately and is calling for it.

4 mins 10...

First one isn't a sitter like. He should have had a go with his left. What he really needed was a teammate to make a run for him to square it - they arrived too late. To be fair to Bairstow though, it's him who dropped deep and played the through ball. He makes the run immediately and is calling for it.

4 mins 10...
Oh aye, I meant Ba should have knocked it across.
Although the less said about his attempt the better. :lol:

Aye, the penalties could easily both have been given though greenwood, arguably shouldn't have been on the pitch after his (9th?) foul on half time that should have seen him booked, at the very least.

As we've said: swings and roundabouts.

Take a look at your free kick, though...

It was a lucky point that we didn't really deserve. I just don't get the formation or the tactics! We're supposed to be playing narrow, yet there are huge gaps between our players. We've got 3 up front, yet it takes ages to move the ball forward with too many passes and being over technical, with no purpose. No vision, I'm convinced some of our players wear blinkers and don't look for the run, because they are too busy looking for the safe pass. We don't look confident at all, only Clarke dares to run at their defence time and time again, we're far too predictable. Beale likes to play possession-based football (keep the ball for more than 3 passes yeah?), and it's horrific to watch us trying to play out from the back and losing the ball in dangerous area's, we seem to have nailed that bit. It was only through the effort and skill of a couple of our players that we got something from that match, but think we'll blunder on with a mixed bag of results from the next 4 games, 1 win, 2 draws and 1 loss, something like that.

Does that not make your argument worse?
We are capable of beating Leeds under a different Head Coach
But not capable of beating Hull under Beale?
No it doesn't. We haven't had to play Leeds under Beale. The team are capable.

We did beat Hull under Beale you whopper.
It was a lucky point that we didn't really deserve. I just don't get the formation or the tactics! We're supposed to be playing narrow, yet there are huge gaps between our players. We've got 3 up front, yet it takes ages to move the ball forward with too many passes and being over technical, with no purpose. No vision, I'm convinced some of our players wear blinkers and don't look for the run, because they are too busy looking for the safe pass. We don't look confident at all, only Clarke dares to run at their defence time and time again, we're far too predictable. Beale likes to play possession-based football (keep the ball for more than 3 passes yeah?), and it's horrific to watch us trying to play out from the back and losing the ball in dangerous area's, we seem to have nailed that bit. It was only through the effort and skill of a couple of our players that we got something from that match, but think we'll blunder on with a mixed bag of results from the next 4 games, 1 win, 2 draws and 1 loss, something like that.
Of course we deserved it. Even the Boro acknowledge the fact. There was nowt lucky about it. We created chances and one of them's gone in.

Last edited:
Never an easy game for us down there. A bit more composure and we could have won it. Great response to going a goal down and we looked the more likely side to nick it after Rusyn's goal.

Point gained. Move on.

PS, very promising debut from Hjelde.

He brought some much needed physicality to the team…. And a left foot
Are you kidding? It was a howler from their keeper. Total hit and hope shot that.

Bobby Charlton used to say he didn’t aim for a particular area of the goal… he just aimed to hit it.

Look how many goals are scored through the keepers legs.

You cant find fault with a striker who has a strike on goal and it goes in, that he had confidence to hit it early is a great thing

Last edited:
He brought some much needed physicality to the team…. And a left foot

Bobby Charlton used to say he didn’t aim for a particular area of the goal… he just aimed to hit it.

Look how many goals are scored through the keepers legs.

You cant find fault with a striker who has a strike on goal and it goes in, that he had confidence to hit it early is a great thing
Got unlucky hitting the post against Birmingham so cancelled out by a goalkeeper error

For every lucky point we earn there have been plenty of unlucky points lost.
That we had the resolve and quality to keep going to earn the point is what we should be celebrating.
The head coach is slowly improving things but without that essential experience and Established striker and DCM we will always be inconsistent

Back