Death by Nitrogen

I worked for a time on a BP Chemicals site. BP is a huge global organisation employing hundreds of thousands, and at the time roughly seven people a year died doing their jobs for BP.

These were split between road accidents, nitrogen asphyxiation and falls from height, in that order. Nitrogen blankets are used frequently in process equipment, and engineers died entering unvented nitrogen atmospheres in reactors without breathing apparatus.

They had a big campaign that drilled into us that "one breath" is enough. The mechanism is that because you don't breathe in any oxygen, you don't respire CO2 and your lungs/nervous system/brain don't ever generate the impulse to breathe back out and in again.

When working in labs I always thought if I ever wanted to go I'd just have a puff or two of the nitrogen taps and that would be it.

It's supposed to be painless and very quick, so someone has messed up something here, or deliberately given him just enough air to prolong it.

There is no way he'd be fighting for his life for twenty minutes breathing pure nitrogen.

Last edited:
I worked for a time on a BP Chemicals site. BP is a huge global organisation employing hundreds of thousands, and at the time roughly seven people a year died doing their jobs for BP.

These were split between road accidents, nitrogen asphyxiation and falls from height, in that order. Nitrogen blankets are used frequently in process equipment, and engineers died entering unvented nitrogen atmospheres in reactors without breathing apparatus.

They had a big campaign that drilled into us that "one breath" is enough. The mechanism is that because you don't breathe in any oxygen, you don't respire CO2 and your lungs/nervous system/brain don't ever generate the impulse to breathe back out and in again.

When working in labs I always thought if I ever wanted to go I'd just have a puff or two of the nitrogen taps and that would be it.

It's supposed to be painless and very quick, so someone has messed up something here, or deliberately given him just enough air to prolong it.

There is no way he'd be fighting for his life for twenty minutes breathing pure nitrogen.
That's interesting about it being possibly deliberate.
After the war concentration camp guards and officers from various camps were brought to justice. They needed a hangman to carry out the death sentences and they got a volunteer.
He was crap at the job and many of the convicted died slow deaths of strangulation rather than the neck snap that a hanging should produce. It's generally thought he was deliberately crap.
The murderer this thread is about was executed 35 years after his crime. So I can't see that anybody would be that bothered after that length of time to prolong his execution. His crimes would have become effectively forgotten about. But you never know.

That was puzzling me as well.
We use nitrogen purges on our gas mains on the steelworks and, as you say, it's drilled into you that it takes just one breath in a N2 enriched atmosphere and that's it.
Someone has bodged this

Walked in a plantroom full of leaked ammonia once, jesus fecking christ, awful!

Imagine the death penalty in this country with these chancers running it. After the post office fiasco there would be innocent people all Ower getting gassed.
A reason I am against it is giving the government and judiciary the power to not only decide who lives and dies, but also the reasons why if the moved on from obvious crimes like murder to more vague definitions such as treason (including whistle-blowers perhaps).

One of the best arguments against death penalty isn’t even that it can mistakenly leads to the deaths of innocent people. People will always say “oh only support it when the person is 100% guilty and they are caught in the act.

i will not apologise for posting this case again, as i do on all the death penalty threads. This woman is the last women to be put to death in the US. She murdered a pregnant woman and literally cut the baby out of her womb. She is 100% guilty and caught in the act. Horrific.

But Lisa Montgomery was mentally ill. She’d been gang raped as a child. Used as a punching bag. Sold to the plumber by her mother to pay for services. She had a brain injury after her stepfather slammed her head into concrete while raping her.

In these cases the death penalty works in exactly way it should. It puts to death a guaranteed murderer. It also puts to death a mentally ill child rape victim who was tortured and failed by the system.

How did you rule out the witnesses being full of shit?

Back