Death by Nitrogen

Alabama carries out the first execution by Nitrogen
it sounds horrific, but he did murder someone.
Executed
He also requested the method used.
I don’t think the death penalty works, I’m not saying he doesn’t deserve it for what he did, but 35 years on death row? You’re not killing the same person.
That suggests the system is broken, not the penalty.

is that because they try harder with legal challenges?

It's mainly because on Death Row then spend their lives being safe in solitary while in normal prison or on the streets someone else would likely kill them.

It's also because the legal challenges take decades. The most likely cause of death on Death Row is old age.

(BTW, I'm not defending the system. I'm totally against capital punishment)

The death penalty isn't a deterrent. You only do these things if you either think you can get away with it or it's a moment of madness/passion without thought. Whole life imprisonment or a death penalty. Some would say death being the worse of them.

And if you are going to do it just f***ing use a tried and tested quick method. Why is there even a need to experiment with something new? It's nothing short of sadism.

The death penalty isn't a deterrent. You only do these things if you either think you can get away with it or it's a moment of madness/passion without thought. Whole life imprisonment or a death penalty. Some would say death being the worse of them.

And if you are going to do it just f***ing use a tried and tested quick method. Why is there even a need to experiment with something new? It's nothing short of sadism.
Apparently the drug companies don't want to supply whatever they use for the lethal injection. Comes to something when drug companies have more morals than the US state.

It's mainly because on Death Row then spend their lives being safe in solitary while in normal prison or on the streets someone else would likely kill them.

It's also because the legal challenges take decades. The most likely cause of death on Death Row is old age.

(BTW, I'm not defending the system. I'm totally against capital punishment)

You're more likely to die of natural causes (rather than old age) on death row than be executed, but your gist was right.

There was a bloke on death row in Japan for 45 years without any appeals etc. Over there they don't let you know you're gonna be executed until a few minutes before it happens, so he woke up every day for 45 years not knowing if he was gonna be killed that day. I think he was eventually released.

It's apparently about the best way to go. You go unconscious and don't wake up. There's suicide machines that do the same thing. I think just whack him full of heroin. It's going spare and just gets chucked in the bin anyway.

You're more likely to die of natural causes (rather than old age) on death row than be executed, but your gist was right.

There was a bloke on death row in Japan for 45 years without any appeals etc. Over there they don't let you know you're gonna be executed until a few minutes before it happens, so he woke up every day for 45 years not knowing if he was gonna be killed that day. I think he was eventually released.
They're told the morning of. 3 executioners press a button to open the trap door to hang the person, only one button works.

Back