Deadlifts - my success story

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seaham_FTM

Winger
This might be boring for some but I thought I would share my relative success over the last few months.

I am 25 and have trained on and off since I was 19. Until 2 and a half months ago I never did deadlifts at all, but after reading quite a bit off stuff online I decided to put them into my training routine making them the main excercise on my back workout.

Each week I have been doing 5 sets of around 5 - 10 reps and I have been adding 5kg every week.

I honestly wish I started doing deadlifts years ago, infact I'm pissed off with myself that I didn't!
My overall strength has never increased so rapidly... My bench press has went from 7 or 8 reps at 70kg, to 5 or 6 reps of 100kg. (I realise this is nowt compared to some of you but for me I have never lifted this much and it's most rapid increase I have ever seen)

Not only that but I am feeling so much more explosive and strong whilst playing football. I feel like a completley different person.

I have stopped adding weight to the deadlifts for the past 2 weeks as I am now up to 110k and I feel like if I add anymore at the moment my form will suffer and my main aim is to get at least 5 reps out with good form.

My advice to anyone who does not do deadlifts is simply DO THEM
You will not regret it!

Now if I can just get my diet right and cut out the drink! ;)

Last edited:

This might be boring for some but I thought I would share my relative success over the last few months.

I am 25 and have trained on and off since I was 19. Until 2 and a half months ago I never did deadlifts at all, but after reading quite a bit off stuff online I decided to put them into my training routine making them the main excercise on my back workout.

Each week I have been doing 5 sets of around 5 - 10 reps and I have been adding 5kg every week.

I honestly wish I started doing deadlifts years ago, infact I'm pissed off with myself that I didn't!
My overall strength has never increased so rapidly... My bench press has went from 7 or 8 reps at 70kg, to 5 or 6 reps of 100kg. (I realise this is nowt compared to some of you but for me I have never lifted this much and it's most rapid increase I have ever seen)

Not only that but I am feeling so much more explosive and strong whilst playing football. I feel like a completley different person.

I have stopped adding weight to the deadlifts for the past 2 weeks as I am now up to 110k and I feel like if I add anymore at the moment my form will suffer and my main aim is to get at least 5 reps out with good form.

My advice to anyone who does not do deadlifts is simply DO THEM
You will not regret it!

Now if I can just get my diet right and cut out the drink! ;)
Love deadlifts, so much science behind the benefits aswell. Only problem is I done them when I was younger and I had poor form. Fucked my lower back big style. Only now am I starting to regain strength in that area. I will be starting them very soon though. Just got to ensure that form is good throughout.

good going mate.

I actually think it was a post from you on here about deadlifts that got me looking at stuff online a few months ago marra.

One of my mates is a personal trainer and he has been talking about stiff leg deadlifts. I'm not sure though because regular deads have been working so well

Love deadlifts, so much science behind the benefits aswell. Only problem is I done them when I was younger and I had poor form. Fucked my lower back big style. Only now am I starting to regain strength in that area. I will be starting them very soon though. Just got to ensure that form is good throughout.

The best bit of advice I have recieved for deadlift form is imagine you are trying to point your chin at the wall infront, and point your arse at the wall behind :lol:

I actually think it was a post from you on here about deadlifts that got me looking at stuff online a few months ago marra.

One of my mates is a personal trainer and he has been talking about stiff leg deadlifts. I'm not sure though because regular deads have been working so well

The best bit of advice I have recieved for deadlift form is imagine you are trying to point your chin at the wall infront, and point your arse at the wall behind :lol:
yer i do stiff legs when on a split but if i was to go to the gym nowadays it would only be once a week and would do proper deadlifts in a full body workout.

very form sensitive cause of the weight being shifted, even worse when you're 6'6"!!

I know what correct form is since I have been on multiple instructor courses but back in the day I was naive and thought I could take on the world.

I know what correct form is since I have been on multiple instructor courses but back in the day I was naive and thought I could take on the world.

At first I was experiencing lower back pain, but now my traps and upper back and legs ache whilst my lower back is ok so I think the chin and arse pointing must be working

i always do deadlifts....infact i always stick to core exercises in all my workouts with a little bit isolation hoyed in for bi's and tri's and calves

Last edited:
jackynutmeg said:
only if you do them wrong, been doing them for years without a belt

Like squats they seem to have a lot of things you should and shouldn't do to avoid injury. Puts me off completely, although I do squat now, not very well like and not much weight but I've not been doing them long. How long will it take for me to start seeing the benefit because my legs are skinny as out at the moment.

Like squats they seem to have a lot of things you should and shouldn't do to avoid injury. Puts me off completely, although I do squat now, not very well like and not much weight but I've not been doing them long. How long will it take for me to start seeing the benefit because my legs are skinny as out at the moment.

core exercises are the way to go to build up bulk whilst not spending f***ing ages in the gym

similar story for me when I started doing them, like you saw rapid improvements in both my dead lifting and other sectors of my exercising

similar story for me when I started doing them, like you saw rapid improvements in both my dead lifting and other sectors of my exercising

Aye its unbelievable how fast it's happeneing. A few months ago benching 100k I could barely do 1 rep, now I'm doing 5 or 6 no problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back