Davey Dowell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recognise Davey from away games but someone I've never had the privilege of knowing.

Sounds like he was well respected and loved and my thoughts are with his friends and family at this sad time.

R.I.P Davey

Not claiming to be a personal friend of Davey or owt but knew him especiaĺly at London matches late 70s and early 80s. He recognised me by sight but probably not by name. Always came over and had a quick chat. No heirs and graces, a sound bloke. This is very sad news

I got a text about this last night.

The bairn and I are absolutely gutted. What a lovely lad and a massively knowledgeable football fan. Loyal to the core I will remember with fondness our drinking sessions down at Lords, watching Durham. the bairn was crest fallen when I told him. Durham CCC as well as SAFC will sorely miss him.

RIP marra. You were one of the best.

What a shame. xx

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst we are all good fans and we all know many passionate Sunderland supporters, I doubt that the passing of Davey Dowell will ever have the same impact on so many SAFC supporters in modern times .

Davey was a genuinely nice bloke that was always a welcoming face to see in both home and away pubs.

As a true Mackem and safc fan, things didnt always go his way and there was occssions when Davey was suddenly "running" with the grumpy Ultras, which after a wind up and couple of pints made the day even better.

Davey always was and will always be a safc legend, today I apologise for the rant but I lift a glass, to Davey "Wild Man Of Roker" rip fella...

Last edited:
Whilst we are all good fans and we all know many passionate Sunderland supporters, I doubt that the passing of Davey Dowell will ever have the same impact on so many SAFC supporters in modern times .

Davey was a genuinely nice bloke that was always a welcoming face to see in both home and away pubs.

As a true Mackem and safc fan, things didnt always go his way and there was occssions when Davey was suddenly "running" with the grumpy Ultras, which after a wind up and couple of pints made the day even better.

Davey always was and will always be a safc legend, today I apologise for the rant but I lift a glass, to Davey "Wild Man Of Roker" rip fella...
Raises glass.

Having known Davey for 35 years, mainly through cricket, it is humbling to hear the many hearts he has touched with his love of SAFC and cricket.

Dave was a very good batsmen as a lad, a natural talent, who loved to pitch his skills against the best, especially fast West Indian bowlers.

His love of SAFC was probably unsurpassed and I saw him at every away game I ever went to.

I will raise a glass of beer to you this afternoon my friend from Phuket, with a big red smiling face, just how I will remember you.

Sleep well Dabber, RIP Legend!

I only met him a few times mainly through other friends but he always came across as a genuinely nice guy.

So sad this has happened.

RIP Davey

It seems utterly inconceivable to think of going to a Sunderland match where Davey won't be there. I'm sure those who knew him much better will have more poignant memories but what sticks out for me is how he was Sunderland's Everyman. Every single group of supporters completely warmed to him. There was those who like himself simply couldn't miss a match (Sel, Glen etc) who desperately tried to avoid the tag of "superfan" when those so much less entitled were desperate to attain it. There was all the people up and down the country, many who had tenuous links to Sunderland, who Davey bent over backwards to support with tickets and beguiled with his infectious charm. Even many of the bad lads had a huge respect for him and I can think of several occasions where a big group of Stone Island clad individuals would be ceremoniously marching through some foreign town only to break ranks to come over to shake his hand.

My most abiding memories were of him in Vancouver and Seattle constantly trying to elude the clutches of those who wanted to ally themselves with him for press adulation, limping around Heidelberg on the way to Hoffenheim like he'd never walk again only to storm into the Irish bar and demand them to put the cricket on, and negotiating with the Inspector in Hannover over the delayed train back to Dusseldorf and reporting back to the lads so they could have an extra pint.

God bless you Davey. Rest in Peace and you will never be forgotten.

When reading a post like this it fills me with the good things in people, the compassion and pure love of people.
I never knew this person, I never would but he sounds everything you could want in a friend, a football supporter and a real humble human being.
My thoughts are with you all who knew him, particularly his family.
Forgive me for posting as a non supporting Sunderland fan but reading this thread has reduced me to a few tears.
RIP to a fellow football supporter and from the posts, one I wished I had met on my travels watching Swindon. X

It seems utterly inconceivable to think of going to a Sunderland match where Davey won't be there. I'm sure those who knew him much better will have more poignant memories but what sticks out for me is how he was Sunderland's Everyman. Every single group of supporters completely warmed to him. There was those who like himself simply couldn't miss a match (Sel, Glen etc) who desperately tried to avoid the tag of "superfan" when those so much less entitled were desperate to attain it. There was all the people up and down the country, many who had tenuous links to Sunderland, who Davey bent over backwards to support with tickets and beguiled with his infectious charm. Even many of the bad lads had a huge respect for him and I can think of several occasions where a big group of Stone Island clad individuals would be ceremoniously marching through some foreign town only to break ranks to come over to shake his hand.

My most abiding memories were of him in Vancouver and Seattle constantly trying to elude the clutches of those who wanted to ally themselves with him for press adulation, limping around Heidelberg on the way to Hoffenheim like he'd never walk again only to storm into the Irish bar and demand them to put the cricket on, and negotiating with the Inspector in Hannover over the delayed train back to Dusseldorf and reporting back to the lads so they could have an extra pint.

God bless you Davey. Rest in Peace and you will never be forgotten.

Great post that was Davey all over.

One of those faces who was at all the away games, you just got used to seeing him there and exchanging a few words. Turned up at what I thought was Athlone's most obscure B&B for pre-season. A big, sad loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back