Davey Dowell

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didn't know the guy but I have the utmost respect for a MLF who seems unsurpassed for his dedication to the club we love. Many people will go through a longer life without having the profound effect on others that this lad seems to have had. As others have more eloquently said we can only hope that his family can gain a little solace, comfort and pride from the level of admiration, respect and love from those on here who knew him..... RIP

The best.

I know it's the done thing to say things like that when someone passes, but he really was.

Still can't believe it. He's someone I've known my entire life and he was a first class bloke. It'll not feel right going to a Sunderland game or walking past his seat ever again.
I feel sorry for the person who buys a season ticket and it turns out to be his without knowing. They will have a lot to live up to without even knowing.
I've known him over 25 yrs in the same way longers has and For the first few I thought he was London based (taff the same) as they both were always with us ( or us with them) on trips away. Wheeeeeze going to get us tickets now? Wheeeeeze going to drink the alcopops?
This has really knocked the wind out of my sails this week and we weren't really "mates". He's been part of my football journey and this has changed my journey and not really for the better.
A lovely bloke, trusting and reliable.
Canny knock of quality but his wicket could have lasted longer. RIP.

Thoughts go to his family and friends. Some lovely messages on here. I hope that his family and friends can take some comfort, in a very difficult time, at how much he was loved by people. Rest in peace, Davey. Always Sunderland. Never forgotten.

I never met the lad, but I would just like to say it's an honour and a privelege to support the same team. God speed Davey
RIP

First met Davey at Preston away about 12/13 years ago.Me and a couple of lads from Hartlepool travelled from Blackpool to the game and as we jumped in a taxi from Prestons ground Davey appeared and asked if he could share the taxi back to the station,he proceeded to reel off a list of other lads who he knew from Hartlepool and so our friendship began.I have since shared his company on numerous pre-season trips,all entertaining and interesting.The most memorable was Hong Kong where we were in the same hotel,on one occasion walking back to the hotel i warned him about carrying his passport and money in his top shirt pocket,his reply was look after it for me young un'.After putting it safely in my pocket we called in a local shop to get a bottle of water and a snack,when leaving i noticed his top pocket was full of Hong Kong Dollars again.I asked him where they'd come from..his reply...''nee idea young un''.Just my memory of one of the nicest friendliest people it has been my pleasure to have known....R.I.P mate

I never knew the lad really but I think it was at Tranmere (could be wrong on that) one day a few lads were singing his name in the pub as he had just racked up iirc 400 games on the trot or something. Had a brief crack 0n with him that day but after that on our travels if you bumped into him he always spoke, and this is a lad who obviously knew hundreds of people. He seemed a nice genuine fella, RIP and condolences to his family.

Normally just browse this site but this has prompted me to post , everything Harton has said is spot on .l got to know Davey really well after spending 3 weeks in he's company in Norway watching the lads under Mick Buxton, I was the youngest of the group and Davey was top class with me, very funny and informative wasn't bad in goal either. He loved he's cricket I told him that my 9 year old had started playing he had him doing he's batting stance in a packed Lambton worm and Davey telling him to get on the front foot .Top notch fella .
RIP mate

RIP from a lost Magpie

Always sad when a person that everyone knows, recognises and associates with their memories and experiences of following our beloved clubs passes on.

He appears to have been well loved, liked and respected by all who have known him

Normally just browse this site but this has prompted me to post , everything Harton has said is spot on .l got to know Davey really well after spending 3 weeks in he's company in Norway watching the lads under Mick Buxton, I was the youngest of the group and Davey was top class with me, very funny and informative wasn't bad in goal either. He loved he's cricket I told him that my 9 year old had started playing he had him doing he's batting stance in a packed Lambton worm and Davey telling him to get on the front foot .Top notch fella .
RIP mate
The "Norway 6" would have been 7 but he refused to get in the photo (need publicity)
Was it him on the phone to Mick Buxton?

Truly a tragic waste, never forget the day we met. Since that day no matter what was going on I could feel the smile appearing on my face every time I saw you. Having a beer on me tod to you davey lad. Thoughts to all your close mates and family.
RIP

Me and 10 others have just arrived in Barcelona for a 50th.
4 of us are from Elstob (3 Nursery Roaders and a St Chris) who have grown up playing footy with at him on the Silksworth Lane green. He is 4 years younger than most of us but used to run rings round us.
Well be raising a glass or ten in his honour. And shed a few tears along the way.

4 of us are from Elstob (3 Nursery Roaders and a St Chris) who have grown up playing footy with at him on the Silksworth Lane green. He is 4 years younger than most of us but used to run rings round us.
Well be raising a glass or ten in his honour. And shed a few tears along the way.

Having a beer for Davey now Taff. JEv (fellow Nursery Roader).

Don't know the poor lad but I'm an Elstober (mickleton Gardens ) who loves SAFC and cricket and grew up playing footy and cricket onthe Silky Lane green . I'm a bit younger and as I say didn't know him but sitting here with tears rolling down my cheeks . God bless

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back