Davey Dowell

Status
Not open for further replies.

So sorry to hear this.

Thanks for pushing me Mam and Dads car from the muddy car park at Chester-le-street before it got 'posh'.

Me Dad still remembers the 'what if you'd been a Mag' banter.

Condolences to all friends and family.

His family will be proud to see how many peoples' lives he has touched, there are some wonderful stories on this thread.

RIP Davey.

Just seen this as I'm reading the thread from backwards but you are right David the match won't be the same .....he was one of the ones I used to always look for for a quick chat at half time......not because i was a close mate - I wasn't - but he was one of the 'originals' if that makes sense?

I'm getting quite emotional here....
Just found out about this C, absolutely gutted. Davey was the definition of the ultimate supporter and by that I don't mean some kind of uber-fan going around boasting about how many grounds he visited or how many miles he travelled. He was completely oblivious to all that. Quite simply he loved and supported the Lads through thick and thin without reservation. I bumped into him on Holmeside the last time I was back home. We had not seen each other for 2-3 years but we picked up the craic immediately discussing the Lads, of course. Must have been there an hour just craicing on, almost forget that I had to get to the Post Office before it closed. Ended up having to leg it down Fawcett Street. Davey had that effect.

You mention the Hong Kong 'steak and chips' incident but my favourite memory of Davey was when I was playing cricket for the London branch against the mags. Davey was down for the weekend and got drafted into the team. I was at the non-strikers end when he came out to bat and in those days he had very long hair kept in place with a headband. He looked like a mini heavy metal McEnroe. The mags were pissing themselves as he came out to bat but about an hour later after he had scudded them to all corners the comments had well and truly dried up. Can't remember how many he got but it was a lot but the thing is he ended up giving his wicket away because he felt sorry for them!! Sort of sums up the humanity of the lad. Great bloke. RIP

Didn't know Davey and from the accounts on here he wouldn't want any fuss but seems to me that someone so dedicated to the lads should have some kind of memorial- perhaps we could chip in for a memorial brick or bricks if they still do them at the SoL?

Didn't know Davey and from the accounts on here he wouldn't want any fuss but seems to me that someone so dedicated to the lads should have some kind of memorial- perhaps we could chip in for a memorial brick or bricks if they still do them at the SoL?

I wouldn't be surprised if the club do something, they will know from their records that he was such a loyal fan and never missed a game. I know they acknowledge every person associated with SAFC who has passed away at the last home game of the year but I think in this case, someone like Davey deserves special acknowledgment.

I wouldn't be surprised if the club do something, they will know from their records that he was such a loyal fan and never missed a game. I know they acknowledge every person associated with SAFC who has passed away at the last home game of the year but I think in this case, someone like Davey deserves special acknowledgment.

I think there may well be something in the first programme of the season - which, ironically Davey would probably have hated!

Just found out about this C, absolutely gutted. Davey was the definition of the ultimate supporter and by that I don't mean some kind of uber-fan going around boasting about how many grounds he visited or how many miles he travelled. He was completely oblivious to all that. Quite simply he loved and supported the Lads through thick and thin without reservation. I bumped into him on Holmeside the last time I was back home. We had not seen each other for 2-3 years but we picked up the craic immediately discussing the Lads, of course. Must have been there an hour just craicing on, almost forget that I had to get to the Post Office before it closed. Ended up having to leg it down Fawcett Street. Davey had that effect.

You mention the Hong Kong 'steak and chips' incident but my favourite memory of Davey was when I was playing cricket for the London branch against the mags. Davey was down for the weekend and got drafted into the team. I was at the non-strikers end when he came out to bat and in those days he had very long hair kept in place with a headband. He looked like a mini heavy metal McEnroe. The mags were pissing themselves as he came out to bat but about an hour later after he had scudded them to all corners the comments had well and truly dried up. Can't remember how many he got but it was a lot but the thing is he ended up giving his wicket away because he felt sorry for them!! Sort of sums up the humanity of the lad. Great bloke. RIP

Perfect description of Davey's character J.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back