RR Data & Analytics: How Sunderland can improve their fortunes through efficient player recruitment

Hell on!

Even if you do not use all the fancy language you get far... this is not rocket science... just use common risk assessment and risk mitigation work and you get something similar lot of smaller companies do this kind of thing.
Because as the article alludes to - we are totally disorganised and havent yet entered the modern era.

yes byt WHY!!?!

Blatant f***ing sales pitch. Did they pay Roker Report for them to publish that article? Is this advertising without being honest about it?
It is a sales pitch, it says as much in the article. It's a version of what was sent to the club to try and sell them their services.
Aye, I didn't fully understand the squad score bit. It say De Bock fitted into our squad??
I think it's saying the opposite. The lower score the better I think.

Last edited:
Some body needs top pass this on to Coton, Hill & Donald...it might just give them a clue on what is needed

Aye, I didn't fully understand the squad score bit. It say De Bock fitted into our squad??

Yes, it also used FM wages which is fair enough I guess.

The basic idea is there but it all depends on who is doing the inputting and how they interpret the data.

In my opinion, the person who inputted our's would be incredibly damaging to the club.

Again, statistics are incredibly important and should be used in scouting along with other metrics, however, it is how you interpret those statistics that matters. Given how deeply flawed I believe their knowledge is on our style etc.. I wouldn't be confident they were being used correctly.

" We will recommend a move towards playing a front foot style of football at a high tempo. A quick and mobile strike force, serviced by short passes from a high pressing, tenacious midfield, with service into the box provided by attacking full backs". This is where we've been going wrong. Who knew?

yes byt WHY!!?!
We dont know what we dont know. We are efficiently inefficient and do the wrong things well! 👍

We are working from an outdated model as we dont even know that a new model exists and dont have the organisational skills to do things differently.

Its like a "Yes Minister" environment working at Silicon Valley - 10 steps behind everyone else. We have the wrong people doing the wrong jobs or doing jobs that we dont need doing.

Last edited:
It is a sales pitch, it says as much in the article. It's a version of what was sent to the club to try and sell them their services.

I think it's saying the opposite. The lower score the better I think.

Actually, you're right, I'm wrong. Although I still believe it to be flawed.

That squad status does appear to be aiming for an intrinsic value with "style" times wage which is incredibly simplistic imo.

No mention of algorithms to better understand positioning traits or filter foreign leagues but points towards "similarity modelling" where they take a good player and put the onus on having the same attributes.

" We will recommend a move towards playing a front foot style of football at a high tempo. A quick and mobile strike force, serviced by short passes from a high pressing, tenacious midfield, with service into the box provided by attacking full backs". This is where we've been going wrong. Who knew?
Not Sunderland AFC....

I think our recruitment over the past 10 years has shown our need to modernise and revamp the way in which we scout players. Not saying this is the way to go because it seems a bit flawed in some of the data that they are using but there are plenty of different data sets that would be at our disposal.

You dont need all that shite of just putting numbers to players. Just get a decent scouting team with a knowledge of what we want and being able to spot the talent for it.

They are trying to turn scouting into a database where you just click on and see what others have given to score a player on stats and then buying him. Lunacy. Might as well just buy Football Manager every year and scout players based on their searches. Cheaper.

You dont need all that shite of just putting numbers to players. Just get a decent scouting team with a knowledge of what we want and being able to spot the talent for it.

They are trying to turn scouting into a database where you just click on and see what others have given to score a player on stats and then buying him. Lunacy. Might as well just buy Football Manager every year and scout players based on their searches. Cheaper.

And also greatly more effective than what we have actually done.

Data should should be used with bright folk alongside actual viewing otherwise its needle in haystack stuff.

Football manager database is infinitely more detailed than any singular scout will ever be.

Explain why?

Barcelona and Ajax have been using similar system. My local club Bohemians use something like this. For the last 5 seasons we had the smallest budget in the League of Ireland Premier Division but have finished in the top 5 and qualified for Europe this season.

This model mightn't be the best out there but to call it total bollix and to dismiss it is bizarre. Nearly everyone is using methods like this.
The system may be OK but the proposal is based on an assumption about the way we play the game. That's not fixed as yet.
As the article alludes to - we dont even have the basics in place to do anything remotely like this.

Club playing style - no
What we want to achieve over the next 5 years - no
Player trading strategy - no
Agreed. The system might be useful when the club has a football plan rather than just a business plan.

Last edited:
Exactly. Problem is everyone would love to play the current Liverpool way.
Even if we got back to the PL soon and started along these statto fellers road wed only be getting the crumbs from the bigger clubs tables as the “quick mobile strike force“ top lads would be elsewhere on better money. Anyone suggesting doing this via the academy system is presuming no one else is looking for younguns either.

i still prefer my oft smb’d idea of signing up a squad full of nut jobs. The modern day equivalents of Wise, Savage, Hutchison, Rae, Diouf, etc etc. We’ve had the occasional loon but one or two wouldn’t be enough. We need a squad full. Lafferty and Macquire together arent mad enough. Hoy McGeady in with them and all you’ve got is boys night out. BUT hoy Madine, Maddison and another 15 “characters” and marching back to the PL in a nut job style and bloodying a few higher ranked noses on the way.
Lets be honest here once we’re back up would you rather face the regular CL clubs with the same sort of mundane run of the mill cut price versions of the big boys players that we’ve had ower our last ten years up there or with a bunch of borderline psychos? There’s only one lot would really worry the big boys.

Back