Darts 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
he seemingly never recovered his form after getting covid but surely wasn't just down to that. lack of motivation after winning the PL as realistically what else was he going to achieve in the PDC? or just got old overnight

It may well have affected his Bell's Palsy also.

It's a shame but he won 2 PDC titles which is a good effort and 3x BDO world titles.

Ritchie Burnett made it to the Worlds too.

Looks like Jeff Smith will get the final spot, 4-0 up in a race to 7.

Hard to argue the cream didn't rise to the top today really.

Probably the biggest drop off in the shortest time in darts history?

got to be up there. he was never a huge scorer but he was deadly on the finishes during that period. anything low three figures down you just expected him to get it. seemingly went from averaging late 90s constantly to would struggle to beat a decent pub player overnight

wonder if he'll rock up on the seniors tour

got to be up there. he was never a huge scorer but he was deadly on the finishes during that period. anything low three figures down you just expected him to get it. seemingly went from averaging late 90s constantly to would struggle to beat a decent pub player overnight

wonder if he'll rock up on the seniors tour

He reminded me of James Wade.
Ritchie Burnett made it to the Worlds too.

Looks like Jeff Smith will get the final spot, 4-0 up in a race to 7.

Hard to argue the cream didn't rise to the top today really.

Jeff Smith deserves it purely for his travel dedication, good player

Smith takes the last place to complete the Ally Pally line up.

Pleased with the 3 that qualify too as quite a few of the Belgian, Dutch and German players had 2 bites of the cherry with the Euro Qualifier played on Saturday which I'm presuming the domestic players couldn't take part in.

Smith takes the last place to complete the Ally Pally line up.

Pleased with the 3 that qualify too as quite a few of the Belgian, Dutch and German players had 2 bites of the cherry with the Euro Qualifier played on Saturday which I'm presuming the domestic players couldn't take part in.

That's right yes. Max Hopp for example lost at the weekend then had another chance today.

Last edited:
Paul Nicholson wrote a good article on Sporting Life about this qualifier actually.

Defending the Fallon Sherrock decision, basically saying if they hadn't gave the place to Sherrock it would have been an extra place for this back door qualifier for people who've already had numerous chances and 3 is probably more than enough anyway.

Edit:

This is it Fallon Sherrock 'deserves' a World Championship qualification spot and it hasn't cost anyone, writes Paul Nicholson

Regardless of what Nicholson says (and I like the bloke) had Sherrock qualified on merit by being one of the top 2 ladies on the OOM there's no way they'd have selected a 3rd female for the event. Had Sherrock not won the Women's World Matchplay they'd have chosen another title that she'd won until it justified a place for her. The decision is terrible and doesn't do her any favours either.

Regardless of what Nicholson says (and I like the bloke) had Sherrock qualified on merit by being one of the top 2 ladies on the OOM there's no way they'd have selected a 3rd female for the event. Had Sherrock not won the Women's World Matchplay they'd have chosen another title that she'd won until it justified a place for her. The decision is terrible and doesn't do her any favours either.
Can't say I blame them for wanting her in. She's arguably the most marketable player of the 96 in the field.

Given how quickly the women's game seems to be improving I don't see the issue with opening up another space when, like Nicholson said, it's only taking it away from players who've already had umpteen opportunity to qualify already.

I know it was questionable backdating the decision to bring her in, but you could argue that anyone qualifying today hasn't really qualified on merit, they just got lucky there were some spots left over at the end of the season.

Can't say I blame them for wanting her in. She's arguably the most marketable player of the 96 in the field.

Given how quickly the women's game seems to be improving I don't see the issue with opening up another space when, like Nicholson said, it's only taking it away from players who've already had umpteen opportunity to qualify already.

I know it was questionable backdating the decision to bring her in, but you could argue that anyone qualifying today hasn't really qualified on merit, they just got lucky there were some spots left over at the end of the season.

I have an issue when they have opened a space up for no other reason than her gender. Those other players may well have had umpteen chances but they are playng against higher quality apposition most weeks than Sherrock and co have to face.

I have an issue when they have opened a space up for no other reason than her gender. Those other players may well have had umpteen chances but they are playng against higher quality apposition most weeks than Sherrock and co have to face.
And they will be playing the same high quality opposition in the world championships, sounds like its pointless them even turning up if thats the case.

It's not all about gender though is it? She's going to be on every poster, advert and everything else for the world championship.

She's a bigger draw than anyone who did or didn't qualify today. She's probably more well known to anyone that doesn't follow darts than the majority of the top 32.

The way she's got in is completely nonsensical but there's nothing wrong with them opening it up to a specific type of person it it's going to benefit the sport and potentially get more people playing.

Most players who didn't qualify can't play in Asian qualifiers and Indian qualifiers despite playing against higher quality opposition than people who will qualify through those tournaments, that's not an issue is it?

He hasn't he's literally tweeted he hasn't
Youre right. He didn't make it clear earlier. I don't see him coming back mind
Some of the players who have lost their tour cards after today's World Championship qualifiers;

Glen Durrant
Adam Hunt
Andy Boulton
Jeffrey De Zwaan
John Henderson
Max Hopp
William Borland
Scott Mitchell
Steve West

Some big names there and to be fair some big surprises too of players losing their tour cards on that list.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back