Dan Neil

He's starting to annoy me a touch to be honest, brilliant player in my opinion but the manner in which we play has nullified what made him special in my opinion.

Everytime he gets the ball, he looks to the wide men, thats what he does, feeds the wide lads with good sensible passing. Where as when he first broke through, it was his ability to play a through ball that set him apart, always looking to break the backline with a perfectly placed well paced pass.

I thinks for a player of his ability, his role suppresses his talent. Maybe its that we have no runners in behind, who knows?

I agree with a lot of this. I’m frequently hoping to see him be a bit braver and pass it forwards instead of sideways. Pritchard has been the only one doing that regularly, often following the ball in to get the return pass.

I wonder if he actually has the vision to see those type of passes. If he hasn’t, then he’ll end up being a decent, tidy midfielder but no more than that. If he is seeing those passes but not playing them for some reason - like players not making the runs or fear of losing possession - then he just needs to start putting the ball into space. Strikers (and midfield team mates) will make those runs if they start to see the ball going in there. At the moment they’re constantly trying to stay onside waiting for a cross that never arrives.

Dan Neil has the ability to be as good as whoever he’s playing with imo.. he needs better players around him to meet his potential. Hopefully with us.
He's starting to annoy me a touch to be honest, brilliant player in my opinion but the manner in which we play has nullified what made him special in my opinion.

Everytime he gets the ball, he looks to the wide men, thats what he does, feeds the wide lads with good sensible passing. Where as when he first broke through, it was his ability to play a through ball that set him apart, always looking to break the backline with a perfectly placed well paced pass.

I thinks for a player of his ability, his role suppresses his talent. Maybe its that we have no runners in behind, who knows?
That’s what pleased me about yesterday.. runners into the channels.. he was unlucky with a couple of through balls.. more to come hopefully

Last edited:

Back