Dan Neil

Agreed, hes not the only one guilty of it though. A few times weve picked the ball up in the middle, and instantly pass it out wide. Im screaming for them go drive forward with instead, force the opponents onto the back foot.

As for DN, hopefully we sign a proper DM so he can show more of his natural game.

Absolutely, its done out of tactical set up as opposed to them being cowardly imo. I just think the balance is off when highlighting the ability of the wide men whilst restricting the ability of Neil and co.

Think yer right there, to get the best outta Neil and Jobe we need to play 4-1-4-1, with Jobe and Neil playing as number 8’s, that means signing a CDM and decent striker in January 🤔

Definitely and its not just those two, Ekwah, Rigg, Ba, Adil all would benefit from someone taking the breaks of them.

Really good player imo, think he’s so important for us and he’s really stepped up this season with some big performances.

I don’t see him going onto have this amazing top end of the PL career winning trophies however, don’t think he’s going to be that good.

Will have a very solid career though. Will play for a Fulham/Brentford/palace etc.

Alex Scott is only 20 and signed from Bristol City for Bournemouth this season and had a mint game for them today in the premier league, looks very similar to Dan Neil, with his passing and balance on the ball, neat and tidy, great technique... but i think Scott is just one notch up from Dan Neil, i think he'll stay with us for a long long time, and hopefully get to play for us in the premier league

Not even the best midfielder at the club, Jobe has a lot more to his game and is four years younger
Entitled to your opinion, but I'd respectfully differ. And I'll grant you, in a couple of years or so Jobe may well have surpassed Neil. Who knows!

But imo Dan is both better in his primary position, and more consistent. Jobe has been a bit hit and miss (not wanting to knock him for it - it's normal for young developing players). Neil was like that two seasons back.Last season it wasn't so much inconsistency with Dan, but learning a new role when Cory was injured. Obviously Jobe has a height advantage and sometimes uses it well, and he may be more flexible being able to do more positions. But as a CM, and a leader on the pitch, Dan's ahead for me. One of the first names on my team sheet - Neil, Ballard, and Clarke. (OK Patto too, but that's more as he doesn't seem to have much competition.)

Last edited:
What a good player he is. Thought he did alright Saturday despite the defeat.

Today, brilliant. Reads the game so well, little touches of class and has added a bit steel to his game.

Just turned 22 and made 129 appearances for the club. Give the lad a long contract and build around him.
Will become a great player, runs our midfield. Only thing missing from his game is s burst of pace, but gets away with it because of his ability.

He has more good games than bad games and as other knowledgeable posters have alluded too, he almost certainly won’t be at SAFC next season. He has a lot of PL teams after him, not my opinion just a fact.

He hasn’t really cut it out.

There was the Connolly shot today that came from said ‘fannying’

I don’t want him to stop it, as long as he keeps asking for it, he’ll get better.

I don’t have a problem with him asking for the ball, it was the stupid, needless Cruyff turns near the edge of our box he was trying.

He's starting to annoy me a touch to be honest, brilliant player in my opinion but the manner in which we play has nullified what made him special in my opinion.

Everytime he gets the ball, he looks to the wide men, thats what he does, feeds the wide lads with good sensible passing. Where as when he first broke through, it was his ability to play a through ball that set him apart, always looking to break the backline with a perfectly placed well paced pass.

I thinks for a player of his ability, his role suppresses his talent. Maybe its that we have no runners in behind, who knows?
It's definitely a lack of options through the centre that hinders him in his ability to play a through ball. Our options are nigh on exclusively out wide
Not even the best midfielder at the club, Jobe has a lot more to his game and is four years younger
He's comfortably the best midfielder we have. He's one of 3 players we have who, imo, are irreplaceable. Him, Clarke and Ballard

Last edited:

Back