Damien Hinds thinks we are a christian country

Status
Not open for further replies.

Not really. Obviously things aren't totally black and white. I'd class myself as a humanist, but I still have some things I wonder about or are superstitious about.
Again I'd say that's come down to my life experiences.

I think people like to have something to identify themselves by. It's only natural

Okay. I'm 'normal' then. I'm a normalist. Join me.

I've been to a humanist wedding, naming day and funeral.
The funeral was very moving and the wedding was brilliant. The naming day/ceremony wasn't quite what I'd have aimed for, but I think that could have been down to the person doing it.

I've been to a humanist funeral also and the aftermath, at least of a humanist wedding. They got married midweek at the reg office then did a bit of a pub crawl to their local/favourite pub where it was drinks on the house for wedding guests for the night (present from the landlord). However, to me, a naming ceremony just seems like it should be named a give us presents for our child party.

best part of the day. especially when we were in upper 6th and we all made a pact to say teesus instead of jesus when doing our readings :cool:

I tend to go with cheeses for Jesus.

House of Lords is stack full of bishops ain't it?

Yep.

I've been to a humanist funeral also and the aftermath, at least of a humanist wedding. They got married midweek at the reg office then did a bit of a pub crawl to their local/favourite pub where it was drinks on the house for wedding guests for the night (present from the landlord). However, to me, a naming ceremony just seems like it should be named a give us presents for our child party.

I tend to go with cheeses for Jesus.

Naming ceremony still had readings and such like. Poems and Guideparent/Oddparent promises etc.
I think the difference between a naming ceremony and a wedding/funeral is that you it's difficult to create the same sense of occasion around it if you know what I mean

Last edited:
.......I'm not denying it was or has been a Christian country, but the fact is the amount of people who identify as being "Christian" has plummeted.

Personally, I identify more with being a Nazorean than a Christian.

Most 'Christians' would probably see me as a heretic and that's how I see them.

Last edited:
Yep.

Naming ceremony still had readings and such like. Poems and Guideparent/Oddparent promises etc.
I think the difference between a naming ceremony and a wedding/funeral is that you it's difficult to create the same sense of occasion around it if you know what I mean
Seems fair enough although I tend to think that Humanist ceremonies mimic religious ones but without saying God. It also comes across as a bit faddish at times although its been around long enough.

She's Head of the Church by default. Our PM is Christian daughter of a vicar, but you'd struggle to believe that.

If anything we need more separation of church and state, not paving the way for more faith schools.
Let children make up their own minds about what they believe in.

Cultural Christian I'd define us as. Head of state, Christmas, historic religious buildings, 'the George Cross' - a Christian martyr , is the flag of England, Union Jack flag is made of saints, Last night of the Proms :) etc,etc. It's a big difference to a strict relgious state, but UK is 100% a Christian country in my book.

Personally, I identify more with being a Nazorean than a Christian.

Most 'Christians' would probably see me as a heretic and that's how I see them.
Nazorean. From Nazereth like Jesus?

Never seen anyone describe themselves as such. What are the main beliefs of a Nazorean?

Last edited by a moderator:
Religion is utter bullshit as if they are still Catholic schools etc etc in the same age as were accepting Transgender midget binary none fluid things then its about time religious schools were abolished

Alluah Akbar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back