Damien Hinds thinks we are a christian country

Status
Not open for further replies.

She's Head of the Church by default. Our PM is Christian daughter of a vicar, but you'd struggle to believe that.

If anything we need more separation of church and state, not paving the way for more faith schools.
Let children make up their own minds about what they believe in.

Culturally we’re a Christian country. People get married in churches, they get their kids christened, we celebrate Easter and Christmas.

However diluted these occasions may be and how devout the population is, we’re still a culturally Christian country.

Only the most obtuse atheist (and I consider myself one) would argue otherwise.

That’s interesting. I’ve been to a few Humanist funerals and I far prefer them to any religious one.

That said, to reject the idea of knowledge passed down by Gods or in special books is very naive, isn’t it?
Whether people like it or not, these “special books” definitely exist and people have been getting some knowledge that way for years.

I've been to a humanist wedding, naming day and funeral.
The funeral was very moving and the wedding was brilliant. The naming day/ceremony wasn't quite what I'd have aimed for, but I think that could have been down to the person doing it.

I'd have had it for Mini-K but Mrs K wanted a christening, not necessarily for religious reasons, but to get on the baptism register - for ancestry etc - and (and this is where we get back to the original point) she's more likely to get into the preferred primary school.
It's not right that parents should have to jump through religious hoops to get into a certain school. Schools should be on an even playing field.

If you went to a C of E or Catholic or whatever primary school, I wonder how many of you can still remember the prayer you had to say before you left for the day...

Britain like most of Europe was build on Christian values and laws. Whether you agree or not with them it's a fact. To say Britain isn't a Christian country is like say Sunderland isn't a ship building city. It's at the heart of city and is part of the history and culture.

I'm not denying it was or has been a Christian country, but the fact is the amount of people who identify as being "Christian" has plummeted.

Britain like most of Europe was build on Christian values and laws. Whether you agree or not with them it's a fact. To say Britain isn't a Christian country is like say Sunderland isn't a ship building city. It's at the heart of city and is part of the history and culture.
I think that was/is distinction is pretty important TBH. You can't ignore the present any more than you can erase the past.

I mean the latest British Social Attitudes Survey has over half of the population right now as having no religion - which shows that the answer to that question is, at best, nuanced.

Culturally we’re a Christian country. People get married in churches, they get their kids christened, we celebrate Easter and Christmas.

However diluted these occasions may be and how devout the population is, we’re still a culturally Christian country.

Only the most obtuse atheist (and I consider myself one) would argue otherwise.

I would find it difficult to argue with that.
Our holidays certainly went more around farming etc for generations, as well as religious festivals.

Again though, yes we celebrate Christmas, but I'd say more the commercial and family side of things, than the actual religious background to it.
Easter incidentally was ripped off from Eostre

Ok, hows this.
Do you prefer critical thinking and evidence (rationalism and empiricism) over acceptance of dogma or superstition?
Good question this

Could I answer with a mix of all of that?

If you went to a C of E or Catholic or whatever primary school, I wonder how many of you can still remember the prayer you had to say before you left for the day...

Went to a non-religious infant school but can still remember the "we're going home, we're going home, we're going home to Mam and Dad" song we had to sing before we left every afternoon. Would probably have to be changed to "we're going home to our non-binary caregiver" these days mind.

We're still officially a Christian country and technically all schools should take part in a daily act of collective worship, but I'm not sure how many bother to do this.

Went to a non-religious infant school but can still remember the "we're going home, we're going home, we're going home to Mam and Dad" song we had to sing before we left every afternoon. Would probably have to be changed to "we're going home to our non-binary caregiver" these days mind.

We're still officially a Christian country and technically all schools should take part in a daily act of collective worship, but I'm not sure how many bother to do this.
Sod off with your sense and logic. It has no place here

Good question this

Could I answer with a mix of all of that?

Not really. Obviously things aren't totally black and white. I'd class myself as a humanist, but I still have some things I wonder about or are superstitious about.
Again I'd say that's come down to my life experiences.

Aye. If that's all it is it doesn't require a label.

I think people like to have something to identify themselves by. It's only natural

Not really. Obviously things aren't totally black and white. I'd class myself as a humanist, but I still have some things I wonder about or are superstitious about.
Again I'd say that's come down to my life experiences.
I’ve been to both Christian and humanist funerals. I took a bit of both which imo, is just about right

That’s just what I think but will read this thread with interest

Not on my watch sunshine. By all means have an assembly and give them something to think about, but you don't need to sing "From the Tiny Ant" or have prayers in it

You'll have to go through the House of Lords or something to get it changed I think :D

Can remember reciting The Lord's Prayer and singing Christian songs in primary school assemblies and we said grace before dinner, but we hardly did anything in secondary school. Think we had an assembly with a bible reading once or twice a term and that was it! Can just remember everyone groaning when the head walked in with a big Bible under his arm :lol:

You'll have to go through the House of Lords or something to get it changed I think :D

Can remember reciting The Lord's Prayer and singing Christian songs in primary school assemblies and we said grace before dinner, but we hardly did anything in secondary school. Think we had an assembly with a bible reading once or twice a term and that was it! Can just remember everyone groaning when the head walked in with a big Bible under his arm :lol:

Consider yourself lucky. We had to go to Chapel every day at secondary school. @nyron4england knows what I'm talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back