Damien Hinds thinks we are a christian country

Keawyeds

Striker
(Via Humanists)
Damian Hinds has made some extremely divisive remarks this morning in an attempt to justify faith schools, unlimited religious selection in admissions, and the Christian establishment generally: 'This is a Christian country.'

Well frankly Damien, we're not. We may have been predominantly at some point, when having the wrong religion was punishable by death, but we're not "A Christian Country" now.

Over half of British adults are non-religious. 71% of 18-25s are non-religious, and only 3% of them are Church of England. How then can the claim that we are a 'Christian country' be used to justify favouritism towards Christianity in law and policy?

The UK is a country which Christians, Humanists, Jews, Muslims, Hindu, Sikh, Atheists, Pagans (et al) live in.
The country was here long before people decided to impose their beliefs in it and on it.

Should you wish, you can tell Mr Hinds where to stick it.

Tell Damian Hinds: Not in my name! We are not a 'Christian country'.

Would you say we're a Christian Country?

Our head of state is Christian.

We’re a Christian country. A multi cultural one with a very healthy mix of race, religion and cultures but were a Christian country nonetheless.

She's Head of the Church by default. Our PM is Christian daughter of a vicar, but you'd struggle to believe that.

If anything we need more separation of church and state, not paving the way for more faith schools.
Let children make up their own minds about what they believe in.

I'm afraid it is bonny lad, whether you, me or anyone else wants it to be. He is referring to the fact that the official religion and state of England (but not necessarily the United Kingdom) is Christian. This is a complicated conclusion to come to but it is based on a country's legal and educational system and partially dictated by the majority religion. England, specifically, is officially a Christian society. The opposite that kind of proves the point is Turkey. Turkey has an enormous Islamic majority but is officially a Secular society, because its laws and education system are not based entirely upon Islam - many of it's laws are borrowed from Western countries and therefore built on Christian beliefs - making it secular.

It's not really something worth getting your knickers in a knot over to be fair, it doesn't really mean anything.

I'm afraid it is bonny lad, whether you, me or anyone else wants it to be. He is referring to the fact that the official religion and state of England (but not necessarily the United Kingdom) is Christian. This is a complicated conclusion to come to but it is based on a country's legal and educational system and partially dictated by the majority religion. England, specifically, is officially a Christian society. The opposite that kind of proves the point is Turkey. Turkey has an enormous Islamic majority but is officially a Secular society, because its laws and education system are not based entirely upon Islam - many of it's laws are borrowed from Western countries and therefore built on Christian beliefs - making it secular.

It's not really something worth getting your knickers in a knot over to be fair, it doesn't really mean anything.
this.

What's a humanist again?

Give me the short version.

This is pretty succinct

Humanists believe that human experience and rational thinking provide the only source of both knowledge and a moral code to live by.
They reject the idea of knowledge 'revealed' to human beings by gods, or in special books.

Fuck that. :lol:

Ok then, don't tell them they'll be punished by a mythical sky fairy for not believing in a certain thing, or doing a certain thing because a sky fairy told them to

Last edited:
This is pretty succinct

Humanists believe that human experience and rational thinking provide the only source of both knowledge and a moral code to live by.
They reject the idea of knowledge 'revealed' to human beings by gods, or in special books.

How's that different to atheism or simply being non-religious?

This is pretty succinct

That’s interesting. I’ve been to a few Humanist funerals and I far prefer them to any religious one.

That said, to reject the idea of knowledge passed down by Gods or in special books is very naive, isn’t it?
Whether people like it or not, these “special books” definitely exist and people have been getting some knowledge that way for years.

How's that different to atheism or simply being non-religious?

I believe you can be both/either those and humanist, but don't quote me on it. I'd let people who identify as such make that call.

Agree with that.

I simply don't want to live in a world where I can't teach my child to believe that veganism is a sign of weak character.

:lol:
That's fair. Again, it's how you live your life based on the moral and ethical decisions you've formed. If you choose not to eat meat, then that's fair enough.
If you choose to stand outside the bridges wearing a mask and a sandwich board a picture of a sad looking cow on it, then you're probably blurring the lines a bit!

That’s interesting. I’ve been to a few Humanist funerals and I far prefer them to any religious one.

That said, to reject the idea of knowledge passed down by Gods or in special books is very naive, isn’t it?
Whether people like it or not, these “special books” definitely exist and people have been getting some knowledge that way for years.

It's not knowledge though is it. Morals and ethics are passed down regardless of whether you are religious or not.
You're taught right and wrong from a young age. It's only when you bring religion into the mix than it gets complicated.

Last edited:

You'll do for me

Back