Cyrpus to allow vaccinated in from May

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some very selfish people in this thread. I've been locked down for over a year give or take now to protect others and now because I'm younger, I now should be expected to give the same said people more freedoms.

No-one should be going anywhere until everyone is offered the vaccine otherwise if this happens against don't expect compliance from a chunk of the younger generations.

Some very selfish people in this thread. I've been locked down for over a year give or take now to protect others and now because I'm younger, I now should be expected to give the same said people more freedoms.

No-one should be going anywhere until everyone is offered the vaccine otherwise if this happens against don't expect compliance from a chunk of the younger generations.

That should be the case but we have no control on other countries imposing their own rules, unfortunately.

Could it not also be seen as selfish wanting no one to get away because I can't..

Just be happy that parts of the economy are starting to resume and be happy for the people who can have a bit more freedom and if that means getting away then good.

I'm not going to resent other people or feel hard done by

Could it not also be seen as selfish wanting no one to get away because I can't..

Just be happy that parts of the economy are starting to resume and be happy for the people who can have a bit more freedom and if that means getting away then good.

I'm not going to resent other people or feel hard done by

No not at all, we could've told yous to do one at the start of the pandemic, lived our lives as normal and killed off half the older generation but not been impacted at all. That's selfish from us. To expect some thanks back for doing our part would be nice but no I'm going on holiday instead.

There's statistically more chance of me dying in a car crash than from Covid and the over 70's with a vaccine are more likely to die than someone under 30 without a vaccine.

No not at all, we could've told yous to do one at the start of the pandemic, lived our lives as normal and killed off half the older generation but not been impacted at all. That's selfish from us. To expect some thanks back for doing our part would be nice but no I'm going on holiday instead.

There's statistically more chance of me dying in a car crash than from Covid and the over 70's with a vaccine are more likely to die than someone under 30 without a vaccine.

So be glad for them.. many of them older ones will be our family of friends.

Yes, I'm very selfish me.

Covid has been a nightmare for me. It put me on furlough, losing me 20% on my income for several months and eventually cost me my job. It made me cancel 2 holidays. It delayed hospital appointments that ended up in me having a heart attack and a heart bypass instead of just getting stents fitted. We lost £1,200 on a rebooked holiday due to me being in hospital. It has delayed my house move by at least 6 months. I have been paying a mortgage for an empty house for the past 5 months.

Now I finally get some good news, we can actually make up for a year of shit and I'm supposed to ignore it and think of others? Others can go on holiday later in the year.
They aren’t though really, the vaccine doesn’t stop you carrying the virus and spreading it, it just stops you from getting symptoms, buzzard decision imo will only lead to an increase in numbers for them.
The 2nd dose of the vaccine gives you over 90% immunity to covid. With less covid around during summer months and only a 10% chance of infection they are taking a low, calculated gamble.

Last edited:
It did happen. There were far more restrictions on the old and vulnerable. My Mam has only left her sheltered accommodation about 3 or 4 times in the past year.

People are still shielding now until March 31st.

This. I’m one of the old people who has spent the last year locked up in the house. Other than two funerals and an interment I never left the house during the first lockdown. In subsequent lockdowns I’ve been in Asda once, twice to the doctors for blood tests and my first vaccination. Last week I broke and asked my daughter to take me for a drive as I was so depressed at staying in. We went to Roker but couldn’t get parked so left and returned home, but at least we were out.

The novelty has more than worn off now and people need to be allowed to get back to normal as soon as they can after being vaccinated.

Doesn’t bother me one way or the other.

If the rules change though to allow vaccinated people to travel for leisure before everyone has the opportunity to have the vaccine, then I’d imagine there will be a big increase in people not following whatever rules are still in place back home.

Also, lifting the holiday travel ban could fuck up a lot of cancellations/insurance claims for people who have holidays booked but are in different phases of the vaccine plan.

So be glad for them.. many of them older ones will be our family of friends.

We did we locked down to keep them alive for the best part a year.

Covid has been a nightmare for me. It put me on furlough, losing me 20% on my income for several months and eventually cost me my job. It made me cancel 2 holidays. It delayed hospital appointments that ended up in me having a heart attack and a heart bypass instead of just getting stents fitted. We lost £1,200 on a rebooked holiday due to me being in hospital. It has delayed my house move by at least 6 months. I have been paying a mortgage for an empty house for the past 5 months.

Now I finally get some good news, we can actually make up for a year of shit and I'm supposed to ignore it and think of others? Others can go on holiday later in the year.

Sorry to hear man, sounds like you have a tight rotten year tbh and hope it gets better for you.

To both of you though surely the answer to this is to just keep using negative covid tests anyway, being vaccinated doesn't protect other people it just protects you from serious health and the youth have the same risks of death anyway give or take. Someone proving they don't have the virus now surely is more important than someone being protected from the virus doing nothing for people in the country especially when there's no evidence it stops transmission anyway. It also ends the discrimination here and gets everything back to normal quicker.

It's interesting that people phrase things in this way.

If someone doesn't want or need something and hasn't asked to be asked whether they want or need something, then there are far more appropriate words to use.

If someone asks me if I want a cigarette and I don't - would you say I am refusing it? Is that the word you'd gravitate to?
If I was to randomly offer to come round your house to sort out your kitchen cupboards. Would you say ’I refused his offer’?
Google dictionary uses your own example to demonstrate the word “refuse” in practice, so yes. Yes I would

refuse1
/rɪˈfjuːz/

verb
  1. indicate or show that one is not willing to do something.
    "I refused to answer"
    • indicate that one is not willing to accept or grant (something offered or requested).
      "she refused a cigarette"

We did we locked down to keep them alive for the best part a year.

Sorry to hear man, sounds like you have a tight rotten year tbh and hope it gets better for you.

To both of you though surely the answer to this is to just keep using negative covid tests anyway, being vaccinated doesn't protect other people it just protects you from serious health and the youth have the same risks of death anyway give or take. Someone proving they don't have the virus now surely is more important than someone being protected from the virus doing nothing for people in the country especially when there's no evidence it stops transmission anyway. It also ends the discrimination here and gets everything back to normal quicker.
Why are people peddling this complete myth?

The vaccination protects everyone to some extent. The first dose gives you a 50% less chance of catching Covid. That in turn means anyone vaccinated has a 50% less chance of passing on Covid on than an unvaccinated person.

The 2nd dose gives around a 90% protection from the virus with the increased knock on benefits.

The 2nd dose of the vaccine gives you over 90% immunity to covid. With less covid around during summer months and only a 10% chance of infection they are taking a low, calculated gamble.
A lot of issues with this pandemic is that so many countries took gambles, might be a more calculated one this time but I am pretty tired of gambles being played with peoples lives. It is their country though so each to their own I suppose.

I don't think we should restrict the unvaccinated within this country, but totally fair play if Cyprus want to open up tourism from the UK for the vaccinated. I hope they do it.

I tottaly would and don’t feel bad saying that?

So the younger generations can’t get away as not had offeres of jabs, will pay for all this for the rest of their lives , most likely would never of been effected by this but can’t feel aggrieved ?

It’s not so maybes we should all work to make it so

You can complain about it aye, it makes you sound rather self entitled but based on your patter on the tax thread that’s hardly a surprise.

Last edited:
A lot of issues with this pandemic is that so many countries took gambles, might be a more calculated one this time but I am pretty tired of gambles being played with peoples lives. It is their country though so each to their own I suppose.

Cyprus has another couple of months to vaccinate their own vulnerable people before the holiday season starts. Tourism is a huge part of their economy.

Why are people peddling this complete myth?

The vaccination protects everyone to some extent. The first dose gives you a 50% less chance of catching Covid. That in turn means anyone vaccinated has a 50% less chance of passing on Covid on than an unvaccinated person.

The 2nd dose gives around a 90% protection from the virus with the increased knock on benefits.

That's not true and isn't how a vaccine works. Vaccines just gives your body the tool to create antibodies it needs to protect you from Covid symptoms / death. There's no full studies yet that it stops you from being infected from the virus so people could be still asymatic and pass it to others.

It could well protect people from being infected but at the same time it might not aswell but there is some early signs of doing some form of protection but it's no where near 95%.

are you suggesting i stay indoors and do nowt until everyone else has had their jabs? not happening......

That's not true and isn't how a vaccine works. Vaccines just gives your body the tool to create antibodies it needs to protect you from Covid symptoms / death. There's no full studies yet that it stops you from being infected from the virus so people could be still asymatic and pass it to others.

It could well protect people from being infected but at the same time it might not aswell but there is some early signs of doing some form of protection but it's no where near 95%.
Studies are showing that once vaccinated you are far less likely to transmit it too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back