Cyclist found jointly liable for hitting pedestrian in road reading mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

:)
This thread has taken a very odd turn with two arguments running, each trying to be more pedantic than the others.

There is still no way or no requirement to pay any form of tax for using a bike other than the VAT when you buy it. Regardless of what sort of tax you call it, it does not exist and I have never seen an MP or party campaign to create it so it is never likely to happen.

Get mine on the C2W scheme. I get a tax rebate. :cool:

Insured and it’s tax exempt as the horses where here first. And I know for sure it’s insured as one bolted last year after someone shouted abuse to him and it hit a car. Insurance sorted it.
My history is a little shaky, but were biked not here before cars and road tax too?

I think the nuance here is that it seems it was a crossing that had just turned to green when she stepped out. Stupid thing to do but happens regularly, to the extent that we all factor this in when driving - when the lights go green you keep an eye out for the dickhead who still tries to cross.

The judge seems to be suggesting the cyclist didn’t anticipate this and, although the light was now green, there was someone on the road. He reactively tried to stop, but he should really have proactively anticipated the situation and been better prepared to stop.

Just what I’ve inferred like.
Yep the road wasn't clear he should have slowed down or stopped until it was.

My history is a little shaky, but were biked not here before cars and road tax too?
I’m glad this thread was of some good to you mate insurance wise. I see in the cycling thread 3rd party insurance was not mentioned? Anyway back to your question no mate they were not. It went

Horses
Cars
Penny farthing
Deodorants

I don’t have a problem with cyclists, just the commuting scratters who are just trying to save a few bob but can’t admit it. They got to throw in emissions and environment and congestion and keeping fit.

40 knife crimes a day and he’s blocking roads off. This is gonna end well.

^^^^^Too unfit to ride a bike

I’m glad this thread was of some good to you mate insurance wise. I see in the cycling thread 3rd party insurance was not mentioned? Anyway back to your question no mate they were not. It went

Horses
Cars
Penny farthing
Deodorants
:):)

It was a good reminder about insurance though. The amount of miles I have been doing recently did make me think I should get something and I generally forgot.

To be honest, once you get past the cyclist hatred from some, I do find these threads make me think when I'm out on my bike. I have always been laid back and polite while cycling or driving, but comments have made me think more "am I pissing anyone off?".

Going home last night, on a narrow path there were two people one horses with space to pass, but I held back and asked "Do you mind if I pass?", they said no and thanked me. A bit further up, a bloke running with his dog tried to move it out of the path, but it just stood there panting looking at its owner clearly thinking "Its hot, you made me run and now what the hell do you want me to do, I'm bloody knackered". I had to stop and we both had a little chuckle at the daft stubborn dog.

Not being the aggressive type, I would have probably approached both situations with some degree of good will, but perhaps threads like these eat at the back of cyclists minds and make them that little bit extra polite.

^^^^^Too unfit to ride a bike
^^^^^^^^^^^
Logon or register to see this image

It was a good reminder about insurance though. The amount of miles I have been doing recently did make me think I should get something and I generally forgot.

To be honest, once you get past the cyclist hatred from some, I do find these threads make me think when I'm out on my bike. I have always been laid back and polite while cycling or driving, but comments have made me think more "am I pissing anyone off?".

Going home last night, on a narrow path there were two people one horses with space to pass, but I held back and asked "Do you mind if I pass?", they said no and thanked me. A bit further up, a bloke running with his dog tried to move it out of the path, but it just stood there panting looking at its owner clearly thinking "Its hot, you made me run and now what the hell do you want me to do, I'm bloody knackered". I had to stop and we both had a little chuckle at the daft stubborn dog.

Not being the aggressive type, I would have probably approached both situations with some degree of good will, but perhaps threads like these eat at the back of cyclists minds and make them that little bit extra polite.
^^^ true cyclist.

What a good post. I have repeatedly said I have not got a problem with cyclists in general, but the attitude of some cyclists on here is shocking. The owld cycle to work to save the planet then jump in a hot shower mob are senseless.
And the one who cycles 5 mile to save money for his Audi Q5 gas guzzler but calculated the amount of showers his family have to save water is also senseless.
You my friend are a gent. And you obviously get a lot of enjoyment from cycling.

Last edited:

British cycling membership is about £35 quid a year and includes third party insurance and legal expenses for when you are hit. Or british triathlon do the same with their membership if you like swimming and running too

^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^ true cyclist.

What a good post. I have repeatedly said I have not got a problem with cyclists in general, but the attitude of some cyclists on here is shocking. The owld cycle to work to save the planet then jump in a hot shower mob are senseless.
And the one who cycles 5 mile to save money for his Audi Q5 gas guzzler but calculated the amount of showers his family have to save water is also senseless.
You my friend are a gent. And you obviously get a lot of enjoyment from cycling.
Senseless in what way?

^^^^^^^^^^^

^^^ true cyclist.

Good to see you taking the plunge, don’t be discouraged, everyone has to start somewhere. You will be surprised how quickly your fitness improves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back