Cyclist found jointly liable for hitting pedestrian in road reading mobile

I will have to say whilst not a lover of cyclists and especially the fuckers in London, pedestrians are f***ing idiots at times. I just see more and more walking along with the bloody phones out. Cant they just leave them alone for a short while as they walk from A to B. I just don't understand it, and they cause a bloody obstruction.

As many on here think I am a racist and sexist then I have no problem in saying oriental lasses are a nightmare with their bloody phones. The worst of the lot.

I will have to say whilst not a lover of cyclists and especially the fuckers in London, pedestrians are f***ing idiots at times. I just see more and more walking along with the bloody phones out. Cant they just leave them alone for a short while as they walk from A to B. I just don't understand it, and they cause a bloody obstruction.

As many on here think I am a racist and sexist then I have no problem in saying oriental lasses are a nightmare with their bloody phones. The worst of the lot.

Motorists are the worst for using phones, those feckers kill people.

Here you know what I would do Chunks, if I was cycling and I saw a pedestrian with their phone out? You know what i’d do?

I’d pull the phone out of their hand and throw it on the floor. :lol:

My late uncle, who was in his 60s, poor health and his transplanted heart starting to fail, once followed a driver who pulled out in front of him on a roundabout while on his mobile. Went into a supermarket car park, walks over to the bloke, snatches the the phone out of his hands and smashes it off the deck right in front of him.

The bloke was too shocked to do anything about it! My Uncle gives him a stern lecture then gets back in his car and drives off. Never heard any more about it...

Mad fucker!

The lad will be going bankrupt as a result.
I read this too. It's a dreadful outcome for a £5,ooo liability, goodness knows how the case got as far as it did without being settled at an earlier stage. But it is a very salutary reminder that cyclists can have legal liability to others on the road. The first line of protection is to cycle with due regard to the safety of others. Always. And as the judge said, this includes anticipating them being stupid. The second line of protection is insurance.

Cyclist Robert Hazeldean left bankrupt by yoga teacher Gemma Brushett knocked over in London | Daily Mail Online

Last edited by a moderator:
All that for £5k, which she'll I assume splurge on some yoga retreat she could have quite easily afforded anyhow with her city job.

The bloke who was working for a mental health charity meanwhile has his mental health fucked, gone bankrupt and trying to start new in another country. Christ.

I read this too. It's a dreadful outcome for a £5,ooo liability, goodness knows how the case got as far as it did without being settled at an earlier stage. But it is a very salutary reminder that cyclists can have legal liability to others on the road. The first line of protection is to cycle with due regard to the safety of others. Always. And as the judge said, this includes anticipating them being stupid. The second line of protection is insurance.

Cyclist Robert Hazeldean left bankrupt by yoga teacher Gemma Brushett knocked over in London | Daily Mail Online
I'm sure there'll be some kind of shout out for a crowd funding appeal for this, but it's still a lot of dosh.

When kites first became popular a few years back, there were a couple of incidents on beaches where people got killed by kite buggies. Immediately all the local authorities closed the beaches to ALL land sports, and then later introduced a minimum requirement for £10 million 3rd party insurance. It basically killed off our sport (speedsailing) as viable in the UK, so we ended up holding the UK championships on beaches in Belgium & France.

Edit: Just scrolled through the article and see a friend of his has started a fund to meet his legal costs

Last edited:
I'm sure there'll be some kind of shout out for a crowd funding appeal for this, but it's still a lot of dosh.

When kites first became popular a few years back, there were a couple of incidents on beaches where people got killed by kite buggies. Immediately all the local authorities closed the beaches to ALL land sports, and then later introduced a minimum requirement for £10 million 3rd party insurance. It basically killed off our sport (speedsailing) as viable in the UK, so we ended up holding the UK championships on beaches in Belgium & France.

Edit: Just scrolled through the article and see a friend of his has started a fund to meet his legal costs
He is a friend of a friend. Hadn't realised I'd been out riding with him a couple of times.

Utter f***ing joke.

He didn't countersue because he is very much against the claim culture. He clearly want at fault and is now bankrupt because of it.

He is a friend of a friend. Hadn't realised I'd been out riding with him a couple of times.

Utter f***ing joke.

He didn't countersue because he is very much against the claim culture. He clearly want at fault and is now bankrupt because of it.
haven't read much about it but it seems like he hasn't been well advised from a legal point of view unless he tried to represent himself.
she seemed to have caused the incident and he has carried a disproportionate amount of the blame if blame was to be attributed.
wonder if he could appeal

I wonder if no win no fee were involved?

This is utterly ludicrous.

Utter f***ing joke.

I assume you meant to say he wasn't at fault? A judge thought otherwise. And as for his reasons for not suing, I wonder what his legal advice was.

This is utterly ludicrous.
It really isn't. The legal responsibility might be a shock to some, but it's not 'ludicrous'.

All that for £5k, which she'll I assume splurge on some yoga retreat she could have quite easily afforded anyhow with her city job.

The bloke who was working for a mental health charity meanwhile has his mental health fucked, gone bankrupt and trying to start new in another country. Christ.
Somebody's dug their heels in and refused to settle, that's how a £100k legal bill is racked up. From the fact that costs were awarded against him, a possible reading is that it was him rather than her who refused to settle. This is because if he'd made an offer to her and she ended up being awarded less than he offered, she'd have to pay the costs.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back