Cyclist found jointly liable for hitting pedestrian in road reading mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Human nature really pisses me off. I see cycling as being on the cusp of a great leap forward with the advent of electric bikes and the need to find alternatives for short journeys, then you get riding their bikes with no hands, pedestrians using mobiles and using headphones on busy roads and pavements :evil:

Human nature really pisses me off. I see cycling as being on the cusp of a great leap forward with the advent of electric bikes and the need to find alternatives for short journeys, then you get c*nts riding their bikes with no hands, pedestrians using mobiles and using headphones on busy roads and pavements :evil:

The pedestrian was on her mobile not the cyclist.

Sets a dangerous precedent this case.... it’s like phone zombie central in Newcastle on my commute into work.

Well he should’ve stopped but she shouldn’t have stepped out.

I think it was out of order that she decided she needed to sue him. I hope the money makes her thoroughly miserable.

I don't really understand how the cyclist is at all responsible here. I'm teaching my kids to look left and right as they cross the road because roads are dangerous This fool hasn't looked at all for the danger and yet has blamed the cyclist. If it had been a car she'd be dead. Would a car travelling under the speed limit be blamed? People need to take responsibility for their actions

How close must she have been if the bloke was doing 15mph, braked, and still hit her? Ten feet?

A few of the comments are right - zombie walking across roads with no consequence is now fine, and cyclists who can't break the laws of physics are now in bother.

If you step out in front of me glued to your phone and I can't avoid you you're a braking aid and airbag. I'm landing on you.

“Even where a motorist or cyclist had the right of way, pedestrians who are established on the road have right of way.

Rule 170 in the highway code but only relates to side road when a vehicle is turning left.
Both at fault imo.

Reading the judges comments is very confusing.

Judge says the cyclists did everything he could to avoid the collision and three independent witnesses back that up along with the fact the ‘victim’ was on her phone and when she realised the bike was coming towards her actually turned and stepped into its path.

I would like to think British Cycling and other groups would join forces and appeal this as it could cost them millions down the line in ridiculous claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back