Cutting the Grass

Ordered Spring Fert and grass seed yesterday.

Apparently good for overseeding - even though I've got heavy clay soil.

Hopefully a little easier to maintain this year

Monthly applications of this soluble feed through the summer (Bought this last year). I'll use in conjunction with the liquid seaweed I have.

And then also bought this for the last feed of the year
And of course I'll spray iron before winter kicks in this year.

Bought a cheap hand-held spreader too for a tenner of amazon to help spread it out more easily.

Checked the front lawn, and I can still see the hollow tines are still actually there. Mostly closed up, but not quite - which tells me it really did do a job of de-compacting the lawn. I can't see them out the back, so its probably more compacted than the front, but I have some confidence the problem isn't as bad as I thought. So I'm not going to repeat the job this year & will just go with the proper feeding and cutting regime for the rest of the year.

If it doesn't work, I'll aerate again, top dress with sand, and try again next year.

Ordered Spring Fert and grass seed yesterday.

Apparently good for overseeding - even though I've got heavy clay soil.

Hopefully a little easier to maintain this year

Monthly applications of this soluble feed through the summer (Bought this last year). I'll use in conjunction with the liquid seaweed I have.

And then also bought this for the last feed of the year
And of course I'll spray iron before winter kicks in this year.

Bought a cheap hand-held spreader too for a tenner of amazon to help spread it out more easily.

Checked the front lawn, and I can still see the hollow tines are still actually there. Mostly closed up, but not quite - which tells me it really did do a job of de-compacting the lawn. I can't see them out the back, so its probably more compacted than the front, but I have some confidence the problem isn't as bad as I thought. So I'm not going to repeat the job this year & will just go with the proper feeding and cutting regime for the rest of the year.

If it doesn't work, I'll aerate again, top dress with sand, and try again next year.
When you seed the lawn do you have a roller to try to push them down? I've never used one in the past but then my seeding has never grown that well. Makes sense that it would work better.

When you seed the lawn do you have a roller to try to push them down? I've never used one in the past but then my seeding has never grown that well. Makes sense that it would work better.
Scarify or rake first. Then scatter seed and then use the back of a rake to persuade the seeds to fall to the ground. For bare patches you can walk on it if you like.
The seed needs to be in contact with soil to germinate.

Unless its on somewhere other than your lawn, in which case the fucker will grow on a solid bastard rock.

Scarify or rake first. Then scatter seed and then use the back of a rake to persuade the seeds to fall to the ground. For bare patches you can walk on it if you like.
The seed needs to be in contact with soil to germinate.

Unless its on somewhere other than your lawn, in which case the fucker will grow on a solid bastard rock.
Aye I'll give it a good rake 1st. It's a fairly big lawn hence wondering about the roller. Someone was giving away an old almost antique one locally last week but I missed out. And there are quite a few bare patches plus holes I need to fill too.

Aye I'll give it a good rake 1st. It's a fairly big lawn hence wondering about the roller. Someone was giving away an old almost antique one locally last week but I missed out. And there are quite a few bare patches plus holes I need to fill too.
Aye, turn the rake over and just walk it across the lawn. That'll do.

Be careful not to walk into the rake and break your nose
yea but it was last year where i put photos of french drain I put in to connect to the sump pump I put in the year before. I've also used a hollowtine aerator and filled the holes with sand to give the water somewhere to go. I don't have standing water anymore but since it's a north facing garden, the closet bit to the house is pretty thin. I've got this year to really get it as good as it can be. If it ends up with mud coming through the house through the winter I doubt I'll have much left I can say I'll do to make it better.

Moved your comment over here.
Just because its a better place. Yes, I remember your posts now - happy days, no more standing water and hollow tines filled will really help too.

You really going to bin the grass off for fake stuff though after you did all that? I'm sure you can get some shady grass seed

This isnt my knowledge, but this fella seems to know his onions

If its REALLY bare, then maybe even go with starter fertisiler. I used this to make "patch magic" stuff last year. Compost, with starter ferts and seed mixed together. It worked amazingly well.

And some seed that'll be a good fit for your north facing garden

I've got some bare patches, because I stupidly left leaves on the garden for too long. I'm going to overseed too, but I'm going to use this fert as it a mix of general and starter
Sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs here by the way.

Last edited:

Moved your comment over here.
Just because its a better place. Yes, I remember your posts now - happy days, no more standing water and hollow tines filled will really help too.

You really going to bin the grass off for fake stuff though after you did all that? I'm sure you can get some shady grass seed

This isnt my knowledge, but this fella seems to know his onions

If its REALLY bare, then maybe even go with starter fertisiler. I used this to make "patch magic" stuff last year. Compost, with starter ferts and seed mixed together. It worked amazingly well.

And some seed that'll be a good fit for your north facing garden

I've got some bare patches, because I stupidly left leaves on the garden for too long. I'm going to overseed too, but I'm going to use this fert as it a mix of general and starter
Sorry if I'm teaching granny to suck eggs here by the way.

thanks, I'll take a look, I need to learn about getting the best out of the grass because that will absorb a lot It's not like it's more mud than grass, you only really see patches if I put it on a short cut so I don't. It's just really thick clay and gets heavy wear with having 3 dogs so it doesn't take much rain to get muddy paws. I have plenty of materials left to put more french drains in, so I'll do that at some point. I am hoping that with another round of aerating and getting the grass really thick will get me onto a winner.

Anyone not cut it yet?
Nah, too wet.
I did spray wd40 on the nut holding the blade on the mower though, need to take that off and sharpen it before I do the first cut.
tbh, first cut will be move removing any rubbish off the lawn, rotted leaves, bits of twigs etc.

Ferts and seed arrived the other day, just waiting on my new hand-spreader though.

Any advice on mitigating dog piss damage? I know you can buy stones to reduce the ph, I might try them. Any particular grass type that’s more resistant?
Strong grass with deep roots - then the roots dont get filled with dog piss.

But the best one seems to be to encourage the dog to just piss in one place.

Back